Educational

Author Topic: Beyond furious: I think I may have been wronged  (Read 733 times)

Offline jman

• Road warrior pimpdaddy of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Beyond furious: I think I may have been wronged
« on: September 12, 2006, 06:00:30 PM »
I am to upset and in total shock to re post what happened however I did post it on another forum

here's the URL:
http://www.enotalone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151214

I feel I may have been the victim of employment discrimination based on disabilty like I said I am in no state to re post the detail so follow the URL. I will probably be contacting the EEOC soon.

purposefulinsanity

Re: Beyond furious: I think I may have been wronged
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 06:06:35 PM »
FFS no wonder you're fuming  >:(  Unfortunately I know nothing about the law in the US, but I would think that with a temp job they can fire you whenever they like.  I would go and get legal advice about them lying about you to the agency, but unfortunately I would see it as being their word against yours,and if they're willing to lie like that, they've probably got a couple of staff members who will back up the lie.

I am really sorry to hear about this, it really does fucking suck.

How did your conversation with the agency go?  Did they seem to believe you?

Offline jman

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 06:11:09 PM »

It seemed like she actually believed I fell asleep on which is so not true and total fucking bullshit. I never fall asleep on the job and I always stay focused. According to the ADA I may have the right to attorney's fees which could prompt an investigation into my claim.

Offline lilia

• Nihil
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 06:17:34 PM »
Which state were you working in?  Some states are considered "at-will" employment, others may have different laws.

I had to work in Human Resources for a while, so I'll help with whatever I know.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 06:20:07 PM »

It seemed like she actually believed I fell asleep on which is so not true and total fucking bullshit. I never fall asleep on the job and I always stay focused. According to the ADA I may have the right to attorney's fees which could prompt an investigation into my claim.

That sucks even more- are you signed up with any more agencies?  If not I suggest you do because they may be reluctant to send you out to another job if they believe that lie.

I'm assuming that you were up-front with the agency about your AS- they way the employers have treated you suggests to me that perhaps the agency weren't  :-\

Offline lilia

• Nihil
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 06:23:02 PM »
Looking at the other forum, it looks like you're in Pennsylvania?

You may want to contact this group.  They work with people in Pennsylvania on employment issues, including disabilites and discrimination, and could probably assist you with the EEOC complaint.  They're in Philadelphia, but I'm sure you could talk to them by email or telephone as well and they would be better versed in Pennsylvania employment law than most of us would.

http://www.clsphila.org/employment1.htm

Also, I think this is the legal aid office in Pittsburgh:

http://www.nlsa.us/
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 06:26:36 PM by Aeval »

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 06:25:16 PM »
I'm glad you were able to offer some advice Aeval  :)  When I read about stuff like this and don't have the knowledge to help it makes me feel so helpless- I'm glad there's someone around who knows about local employment law, etc.  :)

BTW- have some karma for being so quick to get back to him  :)

Offline jman

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 06:27:08 PM »
I'm assuming that you were up-front with the agency about your AS- they way the employers have treated you suggests to me that perhaps the agency weren't

Actually I wasn't cause due to the nature of autism and everyone's pre cocevied notions about it might have done more harm then good despite ADA. However if I was fired due to an attirbute of autism (ie stimming, innapropriate social conduct that I was not made aware of) and I have it in writing which I do, then I think I might have some legal recourse, But I am totally sure so I'll contact ADA and find out. The minute I found out they told the temp agency I feel asleep on the job, is the moment the alarm bells went off and knew something was terribly wrong. Plus the fact that they got rid of me so quickly, and the euphenistic nature of the reason for dismissal,

Offline lilia

• Nihil
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 06:27:28 PM »
I'm glad you were able to offer some advice Aeval  :)  When I read about stuff like this and don't have the knowledge to help it makes me feel so helpless- I'm glad there's someone around who knows about local employment law, etc.  :)

BTW- have some karma for being so quick to get back to him  :)

My manager when I worked in Human Resources was an evil bitch.  I had to learn all of these laws so she didn't take advantage of the other employees and I could give them advice.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 06:29:46 PM »
I'm assuming that you were up-front with the agency about your AS- they way the employers have treated you suggests to me that perhaps the agency weren't

Actually I wasn't cause due to the nature of autism and everyone's pre cocevied notions about it might have done more harm then good despite ADA. However if I was fired due to an attirbute of autism (ie stimming, innapropriate social conduct that I was not made aware of) and I have it in writing which I do, then I think I might have some legal recourse, But I am totally sure so I'll contact ADA and find out. The minute I found out they told the temp agency I feel asleep on the job, is the moment the alarm bells went off and knew something was terribly wrong. Plus the fact that they got rid of me so quickly, and the euphenistic nature of the reason for dismissal,

That's completely understandable Jman- I just misread your post on the other board
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 06:39:24 PM by purposefulinsanity »

duncvis

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 08:00:44 PM »
That fucking sucks man. The 'fell asleep' lie is the big issue here, and is inexcusable, I'd be pushing for the truth there  - if they were unaware of your AS and fired you over your AS traits, that makes them intolerant cunts and fucking liars but any legal action on those grounds is unlikely to succeed (or at least would in the UK) since people aren't mindreaders. Disclosure or non-disclosure is a tricky one - if you declare your disability you can be backstabbed or passed over, or an excuse found not to make you permanent for example, if you don't you get shit like what happened to you. However, if you're going through agencies atm, I would personally tell them - that way the better agencies can try to find you work with companies with a better reputation/culture regarding that type of bullshit. Good luck anyway Jman. You might have to write this one off to experience, hope you don't have as many of them as some of us have had down the years.  >:(

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 08:36:37 PM »
That's fucked up. I think you should give them hell for lying so they think twice next time that want to pull that shit on someone.  >:(

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 11:56:30 PM »
I hope it in the end works out for You.
Guardian of the Empire

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 12:51:19 AM »
I am to upset and in total shock to re post what happened however I did post it on another forum

here's the URL:
http://www.enotalone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151214

I feel I may have been the victim of employment discrimination based on disabilty like I said I am in no state to re post the detail so follow the URL. I will probably be contacting the EEOC soon.

I pray to the god I don't believe in that you or the proper authorities fuck them until they bleeeeed.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 02:17:58 AM »
That sucks, jman. I hope they get what they deserve, both for lying and for firing you in the first place.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein