Educational

Author Topic: What drugs are you on?  (Read 11852 times)

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
Re: What drugs are you on?
« Reply #405 on: February 28, 2017, 11:49:01 PM »
Fluoxetine
Olanzapine
Vitamin D Capsules
Amoxicillin
Caffeine
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 11:51:04 PM by Genesis »

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #406 on: March 01, 2017, 03:46:48 AM »
^ I remember you saying you had a problem with weight? The Olanzapine is probably the culprit, depending on how long you have been taking it for.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #407 on: March 01, 2017, 07:56:25 AM »
  So far just the omeprazole and some :coffee: but now I will take the rest of them.
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #408 on: March 01, 2017, 01:44:52 PM »
Yes, antipsychotics are well known for causing appetite increase, and increase in weight gain. Also dopamine regulates prolactin release. Dopamine release is inhibitory towards prolactin secretion, and amongst a great many auto- and paracrine effects of prolactin (which, generally speaking is secreted from the pituitary gland) it decreases levels of sex hormones, including in the male, testosterone. And look what happens to neutered animals, they get fat and lazy and eat too much given the chance. So its not altogether surprising that impaired dopamine D2 receptor stimulation (antipsychotics primarily block D2 dopamine receptors) would lead to appetite gain and more easily gaining weight.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prolactin

(trivia-its the only pituitary axis hormone under inhibitory control, from dopamine binding to D2 receptors, in this case) Which are the same targets as are blocked by neuroleptic/antipsychotic drugs.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #409 on: March 01, 2017, 03:00:37 PM »
^ I remember you saying you had a problem with weight? The Olanzapine is probably the culprit, depending on how long you have been taking it for.

I was thinking the samething, but I can't take myself off of it without proper supervision. It works as a combo with my prozac generic, and it will take alot of convincing my shrink to get me off of it.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #410 on: March 01, 2017, 10:22:05 PM »
There are other antipsychotics that have less of a reputation for weight gain. Olanzapine is at the top for weight gain. So is quetiapine, which is what I took. 30kgs gain later I stopped taking it.

Have a talk with your psych, see what alternatives there are.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #411 on: March 02, 2017, 04:08:46 AM »
I was about to say, but ren got there before me, quetiapine is notorious for weight gain. When I got banged up, was someone on olanzapine in there and he looked like he'd started out fairly physically fit and then rather quickly gone to seed, so to speak. Wasn't something I had any reason to dig any deeper about it, but he definitely looked like he'd been fairly physically fit to begin with, and put on the extra weight he was carrying quick enough that he hadn't lost his original muscle tone if that makes sense, just covered it over with a layer of..probably olanzapine:P

And genesis, are you taking it for psychosis type conditions? because if not your shrink hasn't got a choice in the matter. not unless your judged mentally incompetent (I.e in the middle of a psychotic episode for example), his not finding the idea agreeable doesn't count for shit.

Offline Genesis

• News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #412 on: March 02, 2017, 11:06:03 AM »
There are other antipsychotics that have less of a reputation for weight gain. Olanzapine is at the top for weight gain. So is quetiapine, which is what I took. 30kgs gain later I stopped taking it.

Have a talk with your psych, see what alternatives there are.

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into it.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #413 on: June 21, 2018, 05:17:08 AM »
Still taking Caltrate - it's done me a lot of good. I no longer have osteopenia in my spine and it has reduced in my left hip.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #414 on: June 21, 2018, 04:17:40 PM »
Just coffee these days
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #415 on: June 21, 2018, 06:00:20 PM »
Coffee...and some occasional Coke.

The liquid, not the powder.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #416 on: June 23, 2018, 12:43:46 PM »
Whilst I like coffee, at least, so long as its GOOD coffee, really, really good, or tea (lady grey, made with a hot infusion of freshly picked home-grown lemon balm and a sprig of flowering catnip and sweetened with a bit of honey is my favourite, plus a bit of grated lime zest and a squeeze of lime juice), too much caffeine doesn't agree with me, it could lessen the impact of my antiseizure med, although the latter does have rather a hefty kick to it in terms of efficiency, so it can hold its own, as long as I don't go overboard.

I do love turkish coffee though, although if I drink it, I don't drink too many cups, its nigh on strong enough to melt the enamel off the shitter when you piss it out :LOL1:, and I'll take a strong benzo (I have a script for nitrazepam/mogadon), nothing to worry about, since I only occasionally drink coffee that strong, although I do prefer either turkish coffee, or strong espresso, coffee wise.

Coke, on the other hand, I confess, I can be rather greedy when it comes to coke, and I mean the liquid kind. The other sort of coke, actually I'm not a pig for it, like some are. I can appreciate it, find it pleasant, as long as it has been subject to the ministrations of a chemist performing a purification on it, multiple, careful solvent extractions and recrystallizations etc. Even if it only returned 200mg of actual, pure as pure gets, coke, from crappy street coke, I would prefer that, to the entire lot cuts and all, its either pure coke or no coke as far as I'm concerned in that sense.

If I'm offered it, and its quality, then I might bite, even if I don't have a load of solvents, a venturi pump (vac pump that runs off a pressurized water jet), ammonia and a mild acid, plus my microscale flasks and beakers with me, but only if its good stuff. And I sure as shit stinks won't pay good money for it.

I do think highly of coca tea though, or coca leaf used the traditional way, they are quite different in their natural state than the refined product (and a good deal better for you), a cup of coca tea is for example, no more stimulating than a cup of coffee (and not instant, I mean, actual coffee. Can't abide that instant filth :P ), but its stimulating in a qualitatively different way, and one I would say more pleasant, and less overstimulating/less overload potential and with less undesirable peripheral sympathetic nervous system stimulation.

As for me, atm, tizanidine (an agonist at alpha2 adrenergic autoreceptors, that blocks noradrenaline release and acts as a muscle relaxer, as well as helping squash overstimulation, I take it for the nerve damage fallout from my failed knee op, that left me with an otherwise permanent, damn painful muscle spasm in my calf), heroin (some real nice stuff too, some of the best I've had, even before I've purified any cut out of it), got a quarter oz and I'm  nicely relaxed atm, a side-bonus of the reason I last used any of it, was lying down, playing fallout tactics, and near jumped out of my skin, when I felt a sudden onset of my plantar fasciitis, which if you don't know what it feels like (and I hope not) feels like someone just heated up a rusty screw with a welding torch and hammered it into your heel with a brick.

Hurts like fucking christ. So I half-hopped half propped myself up on my toes to where the gear was, had a smoke of that, after first trying to massage and squash out the heel pain to not much good. A minute or so after that, I was able to walk again just fine. No more pain in my heel, at least for now. Only thing bothering me is some niggling heartburn (unconnected, I presume to my heel :P ), so we can add gaviscon to the list.

Also, some clonidine, which is just one of my daily meds.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #417 on: June 23, 2018, 02:19:11 PM »
Beer.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #418 on: June 23, 2018, 04:49:49 PM »
You share yours I'll share some of mine. Could do with a cold one right now, but A-its too late to go out and buy any, B-I'm watching family guy, and C-I need what I have for some concentrated phosphoric acid.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #419 on: June 24, 2018, 12:35:47 AM »
Sure, you can have one of mine.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein