Educational

Author Topic: what are you drinking right now?  (Read 129306 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: what are you drinking right now?
« Reply #2700 on: April 28, 2007, 08:17:30 AM »
Huge glass of orange juice.

how huge?

and doesn't the acids give you heartburn?

It was only a quart, but no problems from the acids.

In fact when I get indigestion from too much red meat, which means every time I eat red meat, now days, I usually control it with OJ. It helps a lot.
good to know.

i am on my last day of antibiotics and it says do not use with antacids.  the heartburn was pwning me.

How does it occur?

At the bottom of the esophagus is a ringlike muscle called the lower esophageal sphincter. It acts like a valve. When you swallow food, this muscular ring opens to let the food pass into the stomach. The ring then closes to prevent the stomach contents from going back into the esophagus. When this sphincter muscle is not working properly, stomach acid and food flow backward into the esophagus. Because the esophagus does not have the protective lining that the stomach has, the acid causes pain.

The sphincter muscle sometimes does not work properly if:

* You are overweight.
    * You are pregnant.
    * You have a hiatal hernia.
    * You eat too much.
    * You lie down soon after eating.
    * You wear tight clothes that push on your stomach.

Foods that may make heartburn worse are:

* foods high in fat
    * sugar
    * chocolate
    * onions
    * citrus foods such as orange juice
    * tomato-based foods
    * spicy foods
    * coffee
    * alcohol.

Heartburn can also be made worse by:

* taking certain medicines, such as aspirin
    * smoking cigarettes.

Anyone can have an attack of heartburn from overeating or eating foods that are high in acid. Most of the time heartburn is mild and lasts for a short time. There is usually not a problem when heartburn occurs just once in a while. Your health care provider should be seen if the heartburn occurs several times a week, comes back when the antacid wears off, or wakes you up at night.

One thing I have also taken for heartburn, recommended by a nutritionist, was bonemeal, which is available in food supplement/healthnut stores. It as no anti-acid actions, but serves as a place to absorb excess acids, so it is safe for anyone to use. The problem is that we may not always know what has caused "heartburn" and if you have a chronic problem you should start a log and keep track of which foods seem to produce the conditions. That is how I figured out that it was, indeed, red meat causing my problems. I quit eating red meat, mostly, and problem solved. Other problems could be simply an over-production of acid but that gets complicated to fix. You would need a doctor.

Do you have GERD?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 08:23:42 AM by Calamity Jane »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Litigious

« Reply #2701 on: April 28, 2007, 08:19:54 AM »
Systembolaget, the Swedish Alcohol Retail Monopoly. Pretty interesting link, actually.

Check out this pdf about it also.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2702 on: April 28, 2007, 08:35:53 AM »
Beer bottles and cans here are usually 0.33 liter or 0.5 liter.

I consider cheap American beer incredibly bad; Michelob is one of the worst beers that I've ever drunk. Swedish beer is actually most superior to most American beers, even if the really good beers are Czech or German in my humble opinion. I bought 6 Staropramen Granat and 6 Jever Pilsener today -- about a gallon all in all and cost about $22.

I was in my thirties when I got my first taste of quality beer. Before that, I had only had American beer, Grolsch, Guinness, and Mexican beers. I did not care much for beer. After I was introduced to dark ales, I was re-born, but I can't always afford to live my desired standard of living or lifestyle and Budweiser's rice brew creeps back into the line-up.
 :venere:
Bud is the most consistent, in my opinion, but I also enjoy other rice brews, at times.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Litigious

« Reply #2703 on: April 28, 2007, 08:43:11 AM »
Some of my favourite beers: Staropramen Granat, Jever Pilsener, Baron Trenck, Schloßbier (German, not available even in Sweden), Carlsberg Hof, Erdinger Weißbier Kristallklar. All but the last one are lagers, mostly light lagers. Erdinger is wheat beer.  :beer: :glug: :beergrin:

Scrapheap

« Reply #2704 on: April 28, 2007, 09:23:19 AM »
Have you ever had Kulmbacher Eisbock ??

Litigious

« Reply #2705 on: April 28, 2007, 10:33:54 AM »
No, but the name itself makes it sound like a really good beer.  8)

Scrapheap

« Reply #2706 on: April 28, 2007, 12:58:24 PM »

It's fucking awsome!! but only available in the winter months.  :'(

Scrapheap

« Reply #2707 on: April 28, 2007, 12:59:52 PM »
Wittekerke Belgian Witbeir.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #2708 on: April 28, 2007, 01:39:28 PM »
Left over vodka and flat Dr pepper- its shit and will be glad when we get something decent to drink.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2709 on: April 28, 2007, 02:03:19 PM »

It's fucking awsome!! but only available in the winter months.  :'(

I'm almost sure I've had it. I was once enrolled in a Beer-of-the-Month club and I really didn't remember the name, but I remember the story, behind it and the poor, incompetent "apprentice". I never got a bad beer from that club in over two years of membership.

duncvis

« Reply #2710 on: April 28, 2007, 02:10:45 PM »
Dry cider - I just have session bitter left in the beer fridge except for the two Leffes I didn't drink last night, so got cider in since I couldn't afford enough Hoegaarden to choke a donkey. :glug:  :green:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2711 on: April 28, 2007, 03:40:13 PM »
Carlsberg. :beergrin:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #2712 on: April 28, 2007, 03:42:00 PM »
Vodka, ginger beer and a dash of lime.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!