Author Topic: what are you drinking right now?  (Read 127544 times)

Litigious

Re: what are you drinking right now?
« Reply #2655 on: April 25, 2007, 07:27:31 AM »
500ml can of 'Relentless' energy drink. Anyone want to bet whether it will keep me awake?
$20 says that it will keep you wired for about four hours.

in six hours you will crash.

is there a metric system for time?

No, how could there be?  ???

you would think that distances are exact, just like time.  so why not?

In fact, neither distances nor time is exact. That's one of the fundamental laws of the theory of relativity. There is definitions of them that are very exact, but they themselves are relative.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #2656 on: April 25, 2007, 07:37:06 AM »
 :coffee: But without the big grin and bounciness.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2657 on: April 25, 2007, 07:39:25 AM »
:coffee:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2658 on: April 25, 2007, 07:43:31 AM »
True, Tig, it's the basis of his theory ... and it explains a lot of things, outside of physics, too.

I like the way you called it "laws" of a theory.
 :laugh:

Coffee!
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Litigious

« Reply #2659 on: April 25, 2007, 07:49:18 AM »
True, Tig, it's the basis of his theory ... and it explains a lot of things, outside of physics, too.

Coffee!

Don't you say "laws of nature" in English? In Sweden we say "naturlagar", which, as you can see, it's literally the same.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #2660 on: April 25, 2007, 07:50:12 AM »

Coffee!

Don't you say "laws of nature" in English? In Sweden we say "naturlagar", which, as you can see, it's literally the same.
natural light beer isn't too bad.
Misunderstood.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2661 on: April 25, 2007, 08:02:59 AM »

Coffee!

Yes, an ancient concept, but that's different from saying, "one of the fundamental laws of the theory of relativity".

I just found it hilarious, but we already have discussions going, elswhere, about our attempts to interact with other people who have a sense of humour, differring from the norm by a relative continuum.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline In The spaGhetto

• minimalist
  • Constant Poster
  • I don't get people. What's their appeal precisely?
« Reply #2662 on: April 25, 2007, 02:11:49 PM »
a nice shiraz
I glide through the social whirl with all the elegance of a dog in high heels.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2663 on: April 25, 2007, 06:52:16 PM »
i drank almost a bottle of wine tonight. where did it all go??? :(
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #2664 on: April 25, 2007, 07:48:27 PM »
i drank almost a bottle of wine tonight. where did it all go??? :(
your tummy tum tum?
Misunderstood.

Litigious

« Reply #2665 on: April 26, 2007, 05:23:57 AM »
:coffee:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2666 on: April 26, 2007, 05:27:32 AM »
I'd kill for some coffee now...
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #2667 on: April 26, 2007, 05:38:05 AM »
I buy raw coffee beans, roast and grind them myself and brew it in a percolator without filter. I just bought a new grinder with 17 different grinding sizes.  :P

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #2668 on: April 26, 2007, 05:42:52 AM »
The meter actually was defined by a team of French scientists, who travelled through northern Sweden in 1736, to see how Earth was shaped near the north pole. One meter is 1/10000 of the distance between the equator and the geographical north pole, on a line through the observatory in Paris.

(presuming correction) Yeah, this was the original intent, but it's been changed. I know that at one point
there was an official 'ruler' in France, by which they were judged, but it's been changed to something based
upon distance a particular frequency of light travels over a given interval. Which is, I suspect, the real problem:
the basis of the meter is actually on time now - so one couldn't define time in terms of the distance, as well.

So, by your reasoning, it should be the temporal system, no?

Litigious

« Reply #2669 on: April 26, 2007, 05:50:28 AM »
The meter actually was defined by a team of French scientists, who travelled through northern Sweden in 1736, to see how Earth was shaped near the north pole. One meter is 1/10000 of the distance between the equator and the geographical north pole, on a line through the observatory in Paris.

(presuming correction) Yeah, this was the original intent, but it's been changed. I know that at one point
there was an official 'ruler' in France, by which they were judged, but it's been changed to something based
upon distance a particular frequency of light travels over a given interval. Which is, I suspect, the real problem:
the basis of the meter is actually on time now - so one couldn't define time in terms of the distance, as well.

So, by your reasoning, it should be the temporal system, no?

A second is actually based upon the "spin" of the cesium atom. A meter is probably based upon how far the light from the cesium atom travels after so and so many "spins". The "temporal" standard meter in Paris is some nanometers too short according to the new definition. Likewise is the old standard kilo, also in Paris, some nanograms to light.

Yes, I meant 1/10 million and nothing else.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 05:53:29 AM by Litigious »