Author Topic: what are you drinking right now?  (Read 127380 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: what are you drinking right now?
« Reply #2640 on: April 24, 2007, 07:46:22 AM »
Coffee.

Trying and old friend in a new job ... getting me down off the ceiling.
I don't think I will ever learn to like what melatonin does to me, because I wake up too hyperactive. Coffee helps a lot, but, I neeed to be able to control wakeful dreaming a little better than this. I can't let the distractions take over, again.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Litigious

« Reply #2641 on: April 24, 2007, 07:57:16 AM »
500ml can of 'Relentless' energy drink. Anyone want to bet whether it will keep me awake?
$20 says that it will keep you wired for about four hours.

in six hours you will crash.

is there a metric system for time?

No, how could there be?  ???

Offline Dexter Morgan

• Karma Policeman of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #2642 on: April 24, 2007, 08:45:13 AM »

Litigious

« Reply #2643 on: April 24, 2007, 08:48:36 AM »
I wouldn't call that "metric" time but "decimal" time in opposition to the "sexagesimal" time that is normally used.

duncvis

« Reply #2644 on: April 24, 2007, 09:52:08 AM »
500ml can of 'Relentless' energy drink. Anyone want to bet whether it will keep me awake?

Still waiting to become wired. Although the first hour didn't count, since I was mostly asleep... relatively awake at the moment though.  :-\

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2645 on: April 24, 2007, 09:55:53 AM »
I wouldn't call that "metric" time but "decimal" time in opposition to the "sexagesimal" time that is normally used.

Yeah, but more importantly it only refers to a block of time and various ways to measure it. It won't help us to tell what the "absolute" time is. Couldn't the existing system of counting time be considered "metric", since it was based on the "earth's movements". Too bad it is not more accurate.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

duncvis

« Reply #2646 on: April 24, 2007, 06:53:07 PM »
Had a couple of beers *shock*

Two decent blonde ales, Wychwood Wychcraft and Arran Blonde - both hoppy, fresh summer beers. The (Isle of) Arran was an interesting fucker so I'll get that again. :beergrin:

Shepherd Neame Early Bird - Spring hop ale, the counterpoint to Late Red. Refreshing and a decent bitter but nowhere near as good though.

Having other bottle of Erdinger as a nightcap - opinion has improved somewhat, it isn't a great hefeweizen but its decent enough. Making the most of beer as I'll have to go on short rations soon. :glug:

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #2647 on: April 24, 2007, 07:08:24 PM »

Why shouldn't there be? We have clear measurements from
which we could base our time judgments, and we could
easily form a decimal basis. I didn't look at the link, but it
strikes me that it wouldn't be difficult at all. We just have
to stop giving arbitrary relations between things like days
and weeks such importance.

Litigious

« Reply #2648 on: April 25, 2007, 02:32:00 AM »
No, no, no, "metric" refers to "meter". The metric system is based upon the meter. You can't base time upon the meter. But you can base time upon the number 10 instead of the number 60.

:coffee:

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #2649 on: April 25, 2007, 02:48:44 AM »
No, no, no, "metric" refers to "meter". The metric system is based upon the meter. You can't base time upon the meter. But you can base time upon the number 10 instead of the number 60.

Why not? The amount of time that it takes light to travel one meter,
for example. Aren't things like liquid measurements considered part
of the metric system as well?

duncvis

« Reply #2650 on: April 25, 2007, 02:55:10 AM »
Orangina.

Litigious

« Reply #2651 on: April 25, 2007, 03:04:07 AM »

Why not? The amount of time that it takes light to travel one meter,
for example. Aren't things like liquid measurements considered part
of the metric system as well?

Yes, they are. One litre, for example, is the same as one dm3 of water at 4oC, the temperature where water has its highest density.

The meter actually was defined by a team of French scientists, who travelled through northern Sweden in 1736, to see how Earth was shaped near the north pole. One meter is 1/10000 of the distance between the equator and the geographical north pole, on a line through the observatory in Paris.

Yes, it could be considered kind of a "metric" definition, though it's not the same as making a day 10 hours instead of 24.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2652 on: April 25, 2007, 05:06:35 AM »

I was taking the additional meaning from original Latin, which means also to measure, or it could also refer to a rhythm or a beat as in poetry and music. The word "meter" is very commonly used to describe a repeating accent or emphasis in written words or music. The fact that someone has actually tried to "measure" time to come up with values to use for seconds, minutes, days, instead of choosing some already established weight falling against some random spring or something, leads me to think of time measuring we use, as metric.

It just needs to be more accurate, I think.

Litigious

« Reply #2653 on: April 25, 2007, 05:15:12 AM »
Of course I mean that one meter is 1/10 million of the distance between the equator and the north pole.  :-[

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #2654 on: April 25, 2007, 07:18:33 AM »

is there a metric system for time?

you would think that distances are exact, just like time.  so why not?
Misunderstood.