Author Topic: gripe of the day  (Read 1876 times)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
Re: gripe of the day
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2006, 10:16:07 AM »
i just thought that if she was present that it would help adam feel more comfortable.

she did say that she took him swimming a few times this summer.

however, i am with you callaway, i think she should hold her ground.
my idea was a last resort.
Misunderstood.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2006, 10:21:28 AM »
Thanks to the both of you.

McJagger- I had already decided that if they said there was no-one free to supervise him if he stayed at school I would go into school myself and do some work with him every week.  I hadn't thought about offering to go swimming with him- not sure how the school would feel about that though as they don't like helpers working with their own children in school hours (one parent who helped out on a school trip wasn't allowed to go in the same group as their child).

Callaway- thanks for the info, I have also already emailed the National autistic society's help service- they were excellent last time I got in touch with them.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2006, 10:26:01 AM »
I'm sorry, McJagger, I did not mean your idea was horrible.  I thought it was horrible that someone with no experience with special needs children who is clueless about Adam's needs was going to be the one to force a terrified Adam into the water.

If there was nothing else I could do, I would be there at every session to assure my child's safety, but it may not be possible for Purposeful Insanity to be there at every session because she has a younger son at home too. 

Purposeful Insanity, I would not offer, I would insist they keep my child safe and if they are not willing to do it, then I will, assuming of course that you can.

I prefer not to act like a card carrying member of the Parents From Hell if I have an alternative, but they will not endanger my child's safety or well-being.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2006, 10:28:09 AM »
i admire both of your vigilance (P.I & Callaway).
keep up the hard work.
Misunderstood.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2006, 12:45:59 PM »
My mum manages the special needs service for schools in the East Renfrewshire area, and she said your best bet was to get a professional opinion from a psychologist on why swimming lessons would be detrimental to him.  Also, to complain to your local elected counciller about it, since they allocate funding to schools, and one of the things schools fear most is having the local counciller taking action against them, and if that didn't work, to contact your MP.  Inform the counciller of all the problems you've had with the school not following through in the help they were meant to give Adam and so on.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2006, 12:54:00 PM »
Thank you Peter and say thanks to your mum too  :)  I'm going to ask them some more questions on monday about how many adults will be supervising the swimming lessons, etc.  But I won't be giving in until I know he is going to be well supervised by someone who understands his issues.