Author Topic: Anyone see the Panorama "Jill Dando" programme?  (Read 325 times)

Offline Beowulf

• Frequent Poster
    • Click Here
Anyone see the Panorama "Jill Dando" programme?
« on: September 05, 2006, 03:53:54 PM »
They had a programme on BBC1 at 9pm this evening where they were going to reveal new evidence related to the Jill Dando murder case. I missed it. Did anyone see it?

For those who don't know (non-Brits mainly), Jill Dando was a popular TV presenter here in Britain. She was shot dead outside her home. The police launched one of their biggest investigations in recent times, and after 12 months convicted a guy named Barry George - a loner with several personality disorders and medical conditions (including A.S., according to some people).

I know some people think he made a very convenient villain for the police. I'm not saying I'm one of those people though.
In fact, I was pretty surprised when I saw the programme in the TV listings.
"Someday a real rain will come ..."

Offline Tom/Mutate

• bass martian
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
Re: Anyone see the Panorama "Jill Dando" programme?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 03:58:54 PM »
Didn't see it, but I remember the papers saying he was an aspie.   I've  got a vague memory of him being obssesed with Freddie Murcury as well.   

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 04:15:51 PM »
so are they saying it was an obsessed fan?
Misunderstood.

Offline Beowulf

• Frequent Poster
    • Click Here
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 05:15:10 PM »
Just read my post again and realised it's still not at all clear to people not familiar with the case.

Jill Dando was murdered in 1998, and Barry George was convicted in 1999 - a while ago now, which is one reason I was surprised to see them still making programmes about the case.
The programme I missed looked like it suggested that George might be innocent.

And yeah, George had an obsession with Freddy Mercury. He went round calling himself Barry Bulsara (Freddy's real name was Farouk Bulsara) and pretending to be Freddy's brother.

I don't remember ever hearing that he was obsessed with Jill Dando, but he allegedly stalked women.

One theory that was popular before George was convicted was that Dando was murdered by a Serb because she presented a pro-Kosovan TV programme or something.
"Someday a real rain will come ..."

duncvis

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 06:12:10 PM »
This post is just to point out that an amusing anagram of her name is Jan Dildo.

Nothing further to add - just wanted to lower the tone, and inject a little decadence into this thread.  :angel: