Educational

Author Topic: What are You doing right now?  (Read 138750 times)

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: What are You doing right now?
« Reply #1395 on: December 15, 2006, 01:40:02 PM »
I believe in the existence of real humility, but they'd probably never even think about it.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1396 on: December 15, 2006, 03:04:04 PM »
I believe in the existence of real humility, but they'd probably never even think about it.

Which is why you probably shouldn't attempt it, because, as McJ pointed out, it's false.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

ozymandias

« Reply #1397 on: December 15, 2006, 04:26:47 PM »
i appreciate self confidence in a person.

humility, to me, IS false.

I beg to differ, not all humility is false, my wife is a very humble person who has a pretty good degree of self confidence.  Humility is in not tooting your own horn in a bragging way and with the self confidence not to care if people notice or not!

Praise is the thing I find false, unless I know the person giving it, is sincere!  All too often, I'v found the "pat on the back" is only a device to better place the "knife".

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1398 on: December 15, 2006, 04:36:47 PM »
* odeon pats Ozy on the back.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

ozymandias

« Reply #1399 on: December 15, 2006, 04:47:06 PM »
* odeon pats Ozy on the back.

My age has given me very tough skin, that and the frequent "stabbings" of the past have made a very effective armour!

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #1400 on: December 15, 2006, 06:58:11 PM »

I beg to differ, not all humility is false, my wife is a very humble person who has a pretty good degree of self confidence.  Humility is in not tooting your own horn in a bragging way and with the self confidence not to care if people notice or not!

Praise is the thing I find false, unless I know the person giving it, is sincere!  All too often, I'v found the "pat on the back" is only a device to better place the "knife".

you bring up some very good points.

i am without a retort, so i defer this issue to your POV.
Misunderstood.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1401 on: December 15, 2006, 08:03:17 PM »

I agree about not all humility being false. I'm the most insecure person I know.

ozymandias

« Reply #1402 on: December 15, 2006, 08:34:59 PM »

I agree about not all humility being false. I'm the most insecure person I know.

Ditto, I'm very self effacing and a little bit paranoid.  When people compliment me I have a very hard time accepting it.  I get more satisfaction at doing my work quietly without a lot hoopla.  Occasionally, all I ask is a small acknowledgement of what I do, but very small.  People have made "big" fusses over some of the volunteer and work related accomplishments I'v done and it just makes me want to crawl in a hole!

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1403 on: December 15, 2006, 08:36:56 PM »
Ditto, for all but the last line...though I do sometimes want to crawl into a hole when people compliment me.

ozymandias

« Reply #1404 on: December 15, 2006, 08:42:56 PM »
Ditto, for all but the last line...though I do sometimes want to crawl into a hole when people compliment me.

Well, I'm older and have been thru many jobs and situations, so I could see how the last line didn't apply!  I'v just found that people who make "big" fusses complimentary.......usually have ulterior motives.  As in the right hand pats you on the back, while the left one holds the knife out of sight!

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1405 on: December 15, 2006, 08:44:37 PM »
That is so true.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1406 on: December 15, 2006, 09:01:26 PM »
... People have made "big" fusses over some of the volunteer and work related accomplishments I'v done and it just makes me want to crawl in a hole!

I left a board because some members found out what I was doing voluntarily for a youth band scene, locally, and made a big deal out of it. I mentioned it and a nearby guy took some pics and put them up. I made them take the whole thread down. He meant well, but he had no right to "report on me" in that manner. If the focus would have been on the kids music, on a music board, it would have been OK, but they wanted to make it about my efforts. Nah! I was pissed.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #1407 on: December 15, 2006, 09:04:55 PM »
I am on two boards right now.
Guardian of the Empire

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1408 on: December 15, 2006, 09:07:53 PM »
Kevv, Are you going to change your nick to Dragonshagger, The Night Knight?

:laugh:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 09:10:03 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #1409 on: December 15, 2006, 09:20:55 PM »
Kevv, Are you going to change your nick to Dragonshagger, The Night Knight?

:laugh:
Should I.
Guardian of the Empire