Author Topic: What are You doing right now?  (Read 138755 times)

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What are You doing right now?
« Reply #7155 on: November 10, 2008, 05:10:17 PM »
Monk?

Why is everyone watching it, all of a sudden? :-\

it's a gang, and you're not in it.   :hahaha:

:P

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7156 on: November 10, 2008, 11:25:35 PM »
Monk?

Have you seen it?  It's very good.

You could visit this website and see a full episode if you like:

http://www.usanetwork.com/series/monk/video/fullep/

Adrian Monk is an Obsessive-Compulsive private detective who works with the San Francisco Police Department.  He used to be a homicide detective who actually worked for them, but he kind of lost it when his wife was murdered.  He is afraid of milk, heights, crowds, boats, germs, snakes, needles, and probably some other things that I can't think of, but his obsessiveness helps him reconstruct crimes from tidbits of information everyone else fails to notice.  He is not so great with social skills, though.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 11:28:45 PM by Callaway »

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #7157 on: November 11, 2008, 12:57:17 AM »
I saw part of an episode last week and the scene I saw reminded me of myself. They were playing "charades."
At work we always do some silly warm-up/ice breaker routine before the morning meetings and sometimes we play charades.

On the program, Monk, guessed immediately what the other people were trying to get people to guess. That's exactly what I do and my co-workers don't really like it.
It's not that I'm good at charades, in fact, I had never played it before. What I do is look at the person, not the "charade." I see these people on a daily basis in most cases and all they do all day long is chatter among each other about inane bullshit. I generally ignore it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't stick in my head or impact my memory or perceptions in some way. They make a couple of moves and I seem to know what they are doing.
I've stopped guessing, now, though, because nobody seems to like playing against a winner.

EDITED to add:

I am becoming suspicious that the true object of the game of charades is NOT to guess what the person is trying to show, but rather, to draw out how long they can make that person stand up and do stupid things without the advantage of waves of nonsensical chatter to help them get a meaning across. The meaning of the phrase is irrelevant to the actual game being played, so guessing what phrase is being Charaded is WRONG!

BTW, I'm not saying I'm like Monk, because I certainly don't have OCD type responses, in most cases. My compulsions are fairly mild, vary over time, being very specific to what I am interested in pursuing at the time, are quite predictable and mostly manageable.
I think "solving charades too quickly" may have something to do with the fact that, as atypical personalities, many of us pick-up on other things, besides social cues, in our attempts to interact with other people.
Monk is called a freak quite often on the show, by lots of people.
At work they try not to use hurtful words, so they mostly refer to me as "scary,"  in a joking way. I never tell them that I am actually a freak, with spazz tendencies.

:D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 06:45:39 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7158 on: November 11, 2008, 12:59:09 AM »
Monk?

I knew it. Cyber-bullying. :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7159 on: November 11, 2008, 01:00:09 AM »
Monk?

Have you seen it?  It's very good.

You could visit this website and see a full episode if you like:

http://www.usanetwork.com/series/monk/video/fullep/

Adrian Monk is an Obsessive-Compulsive private detective who works with the San Francisco Police Department.  He used to be a homicide detective who actually worked for them, but he kind of lost it when his wife was murdered.  He is afraid of milk, heights, crowds, boats, germs, snakes, needles, and probably some other things that I can't think of, but his obsessiveness helps him reconstruct crimes from tidbits of information everyone else fails to notice.  He is not so great with social skills, though.

Sounds like a must. Thanks, Callaway. ;D
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7160 on: November 11, 2008, 03:03:24 AM »
Monk?

can you come here, so i can "bully" you for real?   :eyelash:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #7161 on: November 11, 2008, 06:56:51 AM »
I saw part of an episode last week and the scene I saw reminded me of myself. They were playing "charades."
At work we always do some silly warm-up/ice breaker routine before the morning meetings and sometimes we play charades.

On the program, Monk, guessed immediately what the other people were trying to get people to guess.

Reminds me of the time I went to a (mandatory) inspirational lecture at college and the guy had a hangman game where he called two members of the audience up to compete taking turns guessing letters. The phrase was blindingly obvious (it was "You can do anything" or something inane like that) so I guessed it on my first turn, without any letters there. It kind of cut his demonstration short.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7162 on: November 11, 2008, 02:05:18 PM »
i bet you were popular.   :lol:

my students all love me because i refuse to do any "warm-up/introduce-yourself" type games.  i find them mortifyingly cringe-inducing, so i won't inflict them on anyone else.  you can hear the collective sigh of relief when i announce that.  :laugh:

and name badges - i fucking loathe them, too.  apart from the fact no-one can pronounce my name anyway, so it's pointless, i hate people staring at my left tit.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7163 on: November 11, 2008, 02:46:37 PM »
Waiting to go to a appointment  :yawn:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7164 on: November 11, 2008, 03:08:48 PM »

On the program, Monk, guessed immediately what the other people were trying to get people to guess. That's exactly what I do and my co-workers don't really like it.
It's not that I'm good at charades, in fact, I had never played it before. What I do is look at the person, not the "charade." I see these people on a daily basis in most cases and all they do all day long is chatter among each other about inane bullshit. I generally ignore it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't stick in my head or impact my memory or perceptions in some way. They make a couple of moves and I seem to know what they are doing.
I've stopped guessing, now, though, because nobody seems to like playing against a winner.

EDITED to add:

I am becoming suspicious that the true object of the game of charades is NOT to guess what the person is trying to show, but rather, to draw out how long they can make that person stand up and do stupid things without the advantage of waves of nonsensical chatter to help them get a meaning across. The meaning of the phrase is irrelevant to the actual game being played, so guessing what phrase is being Charaded is WRONG!

BTW, I'm not saying I'm like Monk, because I certainly don't have OCD type responses, in most cases. My compulsions are fairly mild, vary over time, being very specific to what I am interested in pursuing at the time, are quite predictable and mostly manageable.
I think "solving charades too quickly" may have something to do with the fact that, as atypical personalities, many of us pick-up on other things, besides social cues, in our attempts to interact with other people.
Monk is called a freak quite often on the show, by lots of people.
At work they try not to use hurtful words, so they mostly refer to me as "scary,"  in a joking way. I never tell them that I am actually a freak, with spazz tendencies.

:D

That's cool that you are so good at guessing their charades.  I think I would keep on playing and winning, if it were me.

Monk kind of reminds me of myself and my daughter in some ways.

duncvis

« Reply #7165 on: November 11, 2008, 03:21:58 PM »
Planning a walk for Thursday (hopefully)

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7166 on: November 11, 2008, 03:41:50 PM »
giggling like mad at thongs.  :laugh:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7167 on: November 11, 2008, 03:46:58 PM »
Monk?

:eyebrows:

We can watch Monk together.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #7168 on: November 11, 2008, 03:48:01 PM »
i bet you were popular.   :lol:

my students all love me because i refuse to do any "warm-up/introduce-yourself" type games.  i find them mortifyingly cringe-inducing, so i won't inflict them on anyone else.  you can hear the collective sigh of relief when i announce that.  :laugh:

and name badges - i fucking loathe them, too.  apart from the fact no-one can pronounce my name anyway, so it's pointless, i hate people staring at my left tit.

It's OK. I can stare at your right tit instead.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7169 on: November 11, 2008, 03:48:21 PM »
Monk?

:eyebrows:

We can watch Monk together.

kettle chips, chocolate, ice cream and wild sex too?

deal!