Educational

Author Topic: What are You doing right now?  (Read 138750 times)

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What are You doing right now?
« Reply #2790 on: May 03, 2007, 07:27:53 PM »
Lessee...

Finnish, Swedish, and English. Danish and Norwegian, just as Lit. Some German (haven't spoken it since my school days, and it's been a while) and some Spanish. And then, of course, there's Estonian that I can sort of understand. Oh, and i can read some Latin, too, and some Middle Egyptian if hieroglyphs are used.

Middle Egyptian used to be one of my obsessions. Spanish is a current one.

you speak finnish? :laugh: say something funny!

estonian is hard to understand... it sounds the same but i can hardly understand any of it... i like to listen to it cuz i kind of get an idea of what finnish sounds to people who don't understand it. though some of the words are pretty much same, estonians use d instead of t a lot but pronounce it as t.

i love languages but i can only speak english and finnish. and swedish very poorly... i believe a language should be learned organically, which is why i suck at learning languages, i learned english from TV without trying so that counts as organic. they forced swedish down my throat via books so i didn't learn it very well even though i really like swedish. would be cool to live in different countries learning different languages. i'd like to learn japanese
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 07:31:21 PM by Milla Bobilla Banana Boink »
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2791 on: May 03, 2007, 07:44:12 PM »

Lessee...

Finnish, Swedish, and English. Danish and Norwegian, just as Lit. Some German (haven't spoken it since my school days, and it's been a while) and some Spanish. And then, of course, there's Estonian that I can sort of understand. Oh, and i can read some Latin, too, and some Middle Egyptian if hieroglyphs are used.

Middle Egyptian used to be one of my obsessions. Spanish is a current one.

Speaking of the speaking of Estonian:

Time To Stand Up For Estonia
Investor's Business Daily

May 03, 2007

Democracy: Russian brutality against tiny Estonia over the removal of a Soviet memorial is a brazen challenge to the West and nations that want to become part of it. A response is in order.

Since the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991, Russia has had many disputes with its 14 former republics. Its reputation is that of a bully, but occasionally the blame goes two ways. That's not the case, however, with its effort to intimidate Estonia this week in clear-cut acts of aggression. A string of events calls for a strong, unified response because this is not as small a case as it looks.

Last Thursday, Estonia's leaders decided to move an imposing Soviet war memorial from a dominant spot in Estonia's capital of Tallinn. Russian officials denounced the removal of the ugly Stalinist relic as "sacrilegious."

The memorial was put there by Soviet troops who invaded and annexed Estonia as part of Josef Stalin's and Adolf Hitler's secret 1939 Ribbentrop-Molotov pact to divide up Europe. Estonia's forced incorporation into the Soviet Union cost it five decades of freedom until it finally broke free in 1991. Given the Soviet efforts to erase it as a nation in that dark era, it's a miracle Estonia survived at all.

Estonia's leaders haven't said so explicitly, but getting rid of the 1947 Stalinist eyesore was an important move toward acknowledging their nation's hard-won freedom.

Maybe that's why the symbolic act of removing the memorial touched a nerve in Russia, which has never confronted the savagery of its communist past. Still, Russia's response was disproportionate to any normal diplomatic disagreement. Estonia's president, Toomas Hendrik Ilves, pleaded with Russia to "remain civilized."

Russia said it was only standing up for the many Russians who still consider their nation to be Estonia's "liberator" from Hitler. But on a deeper level, Russians resent Estonia's exit from the Soviet Union and its success afterward. Hence, the harsh - and illegitimate - chain of responses.

First, local Russian mobs - Estonia-based remnants of the Soviet colonizers - rampaged through the capital, looting and vandalizing shops. To Estonians who remember 1947, it no doubt evoked the pillage of Soviet troops.

But instead of the Red Army, these punks now belong to an ultranationalist mob called "Nashi," meaning "Ours" in Russian. Besides stealing, they intended to intimidate. About 600 looters were arrested, with 44 injured and one dead in Estonia's worst violence since '91.

The mobs' message was clear enough, but it's hard to prove they're acting on orders from Moscow. It's worth noting, however, Russian officials have loudly criticized not the looting but Estonia's police response.

What can be more directly traced to Moscow is that Russia's upper house of parliament, or Duma, voted by a wide margin to break relations with Estonia in a nonbinding move.

The message got clearer when Sweden's envoy to Moscow was harassed by Nashi thugs who surrounded the Estonian embassy on Tuesday.

After that, Russia stepped up pressure on Estonia by cutting off energy shipments for rail "maintenance." This revived doubts about Russia's reliability as a nonpolitical energy supplier to the West.

Crazier still, Estonian officials say Russian computer experts are hacking into and shutting down Estonian government Web sites in a bid to paralyze its operations. The hackers are traceable to the Kremlin, the officials say.

While it's hard to determine the author of all this harassment, there's little doubt these are escalating acts of warfare against one of Europe's most upright members. Estonia is the greatest success story of the post-Soviet era.

That's what makes this important. Estonia picked itself up from the gray rubble of Soviet colonization in 1991 and transformed itself into a first-world state with a true national identity. Its success is a standing rebuke to the backwardness of what Russia remains and what other oppressed nations can become if they are left alone.

Other countries in Eastern Europe are still trying to dig out from the legacy of the Soviet past. Estonia's clean governance, low taxes, steadily growing economy, soaring foreign investment and 4% unemployment are an amazing and atypical transformation in just a decade and a half.

So far, the European Union and U.S. have issued fairly strong statements condemning Russia's efforts to intimidate Estonia's democracy. They need to keep up the pressure. At stake is whether a nation emerging from tyranny has any right to success and to determining its own course.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Litigious

« Reply #2792 on: May 04, 2007, 01:13:12 AM »
The Swedish ambassador in Moscow was beaten up by a Russian mob the other day when on his way to the Estonian embassy.  :grrr:

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2793 on: May 04, 2007, 11:16:45 AM »
i'm in the process of getting drunk  :eyebrows:

Litigious

« Reply #2794 on: May 04, 2007, 11:23:03 AM »
i'm in the process of getting drunk  :eyebrows:

You little drunk.

I'm thinking of going to McDonald's and have some junk food.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2795 on: May 04, 2007, 12:17:30 PM »

Something funny.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Litigious

« Reply #2796 on: May 04, 2007, 12:19:26 PM »

Something funny.

That wasn't funny, you Finn! Say something like perkelä or Yksi Havanna kaksi!  ;)

Litigious

« Reply #2797 on: May 04, 2007, 01:20:19 PM »
I just came back from McDonald's.  8)

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2798 on: May 04, 2007, 01:42:07 PM »
I had McDonald's earlier. We are soulmates, litigious.  ::) :laugh:

The_P

« Reply #2799 on: May 04, 2007, 01:55:46 PM »
I had McDonald's earlier. We are soulmates, litigious.  ::) :laugh:

Not until some fodder decides to gob in your burger out of malice and spit to his current career.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #2800 on: May 04, 2007, 03:59:34 PM »
Feeling ill. Nothing left to eat.
Too weak to go shopping, too
tired/weak to work.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2801 on: May 04, 2007, 04:18:31 PM »

Something funny.

That wasn't funny, you Finn! Say something like perkelä or Yksi Havanna kaksi!  ;)

That's "perkele". :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2802 on: May 06, 2007, 04:05:28 AM »
and what the heck does yksi havanna kaksi mean? :P am i supposed to know? :bunny:
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2803 on: May 06, 2007, 04:11:24 AM »
and what the heck does yksi havanna kaksi mean? :P am i supposed to know? :bunny:

It sounds right to Lit. :)

- Albert Einstein

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #2804 on: May 06, 2007, 04:18:36 AM »
Why does the hamster have a pizza on it's head?