Educational

Author Topic: What are You doing right now?  (Read 138748 times)

Litigious

Re: What are You doing right now?
« Reply #2160 on: February 15, 2007, 10:24:13 AM »
City property actually ends about two feet from the side of the street on my side, but then they TAKE a twenty foot easement. On that easement which I own, technically, but not in practice, since I can't decide not to have a street next to my house, they have finished the street and added a curb and a sidewalk. Every part of my property is my problem to maintain. Fortunately, because of city codes, they build everything, but I have to keep it clean. I can even get a ticket for a McDonalds cup in the gutter, next to my house!

Oh, and I have to make sure the sewer drain stays free. I've already had to talk myself out of a ticket, for the asinine way people deal with leaves around were. They just rake them to the curb and the city vacuums them up, but if it rains while everyone's leaves are at the curb it plugs the sewer. Not really my fault.

It's about 100 years since you had to clean the sidewalk here, even if it tehcnically is your property. I don't really know how it is in the towns and cities, but on the countryside, the Department of Roads "owns" 1.5 meters (about 5 feet) of your property, counted from the edge of the road, but on the other hand they clean it, plow the snow away, etc.

Litigious

« Reply #2161 on: February 15, 2007, 10:26:42 AM »
The problem with that idea is that we don't get over a foot of snow very often, here. We usually get lots of snow, but it happens two or three inches at a time, usually. That's not even worth having a little snowblower for. A lot of dickhead, truck-driving, city-dwellers do, though, but I try to be more responsible with my own property. Trust me, if we got lots of foot deep snow, I would be making money off of it, not the way the city does - I would work for it.

OK. In most parts of Sweden, except for the parts that are most to the south, you can usually count on over a foot of snow every year. But people here who owns snowblowers or even snowplows are usually countryfolks.

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #2162 on: February 15, 2007, 10:29:38 AM »
Working on My 7000th post.
Guardian of the Empire

ozymandias

« Reply #2163 on: February 15, 2007, 10:32:49 AM »
Recovering from digging the trenches ..er paths that are needed to allow the service people access!  And of course clear the ground around my birdfeeders, which are attracting quite the crowd or should I say flock.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #2164 on: February 15, 2007, 10:33:46 AM »
Putting off starting on my story, although that was the reason I switched my laptop on.

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #2165 on: February 15, 2007, 10:35:19 AM »
Filling Out Quizzes.
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

ozymandias

« Reply #2166 on: February 15, 2007, 10:54:25 AM »
Trying to get off the computer, but, I'm too tired and sore to move and I keep getting notifications that triggers my OC drive to look at them.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2167 on: February 15, 2007, 10:54:51 AM »
The problem with that idea is that we don't get over a foot of snow very often, here. We usually get lots of snow, but it happens two or three inches at a time, usually. That's not even worth having a little snowblower for. A lot of dickhead, truck-driving, city-dwellers do, though, but I try to be more responsible with my own property. Trust me, if we got lots of foot deep snow, I would be making money off of it, not the way the city does - I would work for it.

OK. In most parts of Sweden, except for the parts that are most to the south, you can usually count on over a foot of snow every year. But people here who owns snowblowers or even snowplows are usually countryfolks.

I remember seeing an almanac statistic recently. We get about thirty six inches of snow per year, but it comes in small amounts, usually. To me, the once a year six or more inches that would make a snowblower work a little is just not worth maintaining another internal combustion engine. I already have a tiller, string trimmer/weed whacker and a mower. That's plenty.

Come to think of it - if I alter the blade on my mower, I would have a badass snowblower that everyone would laugh at, until they saw it blasting the shit out of the snow.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 10:57:15 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

duncvis

« Reply #2168 on: February 15, 2007, 11:09:20 AM »
Downloading Debian Etch current ISO... and keeping little terrors at bay :tooledup:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2169 on: February 15, 2007, 03:36:16 PM »
Switching to Etch, are you?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2170 on: February 15, 2007, 04:15:38 PM »
DirtDawg, when my husband and I shovelled the snow from the blizzards that happened while we were on our vacation and which were made much worse by the snowplows, we used a black rubber hose to carry hot water from our washing machine's water supply to the ice and snow that was covering our sidewalk.  The hot water cut narrow trenches in the ice and snow, and it loosened the ice from the sidewalk so we could get under it. 

Litigious

« Reply #2171 on: February 15, 2007, 04:17:22 PM »
I've always wanted a  :flamer: to get rid of the snow.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2172 on: February 15, 2007, 04:20:40 PM »

:laugh:

That is what my husband wanted to use too, but I talked him out of using it because it would have hurt the shrubs we have planted right next to the sidewalk.  I did not really want to use salt on the ice for the same reason.

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #2173 on: February 15, 2007, 06:44:58 PM »
Bumping real topics back to the front page.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2174 on: February 15, 2007, 07:00:45 PM »

:laugh:

That is what my husband wanted to use too, but I talked him out of using it because it would have hurt the shrubs we have planted right next to the sidewalk. I did not really want to use salt on the ice for the same reason.

This is the real issue for me. Our clay is calcium clhloride heavy, limestone dust. It takes a lot of compost to offset that. Adding more salts to the mix is going to raise the pH to the point of toxicity for many of my prizes. I don't do grass, except for a small run in the back yard, for the kids. I have planting beds right up to the sidewalk. Even though we have only recently moved here, I've been maintaining this house since about '92. The garden has become quite special to me.  I can't just pile that salty ice on top of my beds and cross my fingers, hoping that we get a fast thaw that will melt the snow and keep the ground frozen, so that it won't leach into the ground.

I may have to resort to to some hot water, though, Callaway, just so I don't have to pay a fine, but I have no place to put the foul stuff.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.