Author Topic: Questions for Callaway  (Read 84823 times)

Offline Émile Armand

• BC sockpuppet
  • Constant Poster
Re: Questions for Callaway
« Reply #3135 on: February 07, 2012, 12:00:18 AM »
Why?
I don't have a life so I like to come here and try my best trolling you all. I'm not that clever so I'm now banned. Again. Odeon wrote this after pwning my sorry arse. I'm now back at Spasticity, trying to make it look like my mission here was a success.

I cry a lot.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3136 on: February 07, 2012, 12:01:08 AM »

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #3137 on: February 07, 2012, 04:39:23 PM »
Why?

You remind me of that old customer who keeps coming to our store and asking us all sorts of questions on every single aspect of computer, even the dumb ones that he know.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #3138 on: February 09, 2012, 12:54:14 AM »
Would the distilling process remove trace pharmaceuticals from drinking water? I have a filter with a carbon and ceramic cartridge but I don't think they get everything. Or do they? Sorry that's two questions, and sorry if someone already asked.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3139 on: February 09, 2012, 07:57:48 AM »
Would the distilling process remove trace pharmaceuticals from drinking water? I have a filter with a carbon and ceramic cartridge but I don't think they get everything. Or do they? Sorry that's two questions, and sorry if someone already asked.

Distilling water would give you absolutely pure water.  Ceramic and carbon filters remove many impurities like bacteria, giardia, chlorine, and lead but neither would remove mineral salts that are dissolved in the water.  I think that some trace pharmceuticals could be in the form of dissolved mineral salts, such as Lithium.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #3140 on: February 14, 2012, 08:31:40 AM »

Distilling water would give you absolutely pure water.  Ceramic and carbon filters remove many impurities like bacteria, giardia, chlorine, and lead but neither would remove mineral salts that are dissolved in the water.  I think that some trace pharmceuticals could be in the form of dissolved mineral salts, such as Lithium.

so the water would have nothing at all in it? what would be the ph?
could the water that comes out of my tap have trace pharmaceuticals? how would they get there? If they come from reclaimed water I am thinking that I should get a distiller because so many people are on meds these days. I just want the ones I have to take.

wait, would that be bad? how would I get the minerals I need?
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3141 on: February 14, 2012, 08:11:19 PM »

so the water would have nothing at all in it? what would be the ph?
could the water that comes out of my tap have trace pharmaceuticals? how would they get there? If they come from reclaimed water I am thinking that I should get a distiller because so many people are on meds these days. I just want the ones I have to take.

wait, would that be bad? how would I get the minerals I need?

Right when the water is distilled, the pH would be 7.0, however, if it sits in an open container for a long time, distilled water can absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and the dissolved CO2 makes carbonic acid and lowers the pH.

Some pharmaceuticals can be flushed into wastewater, but their concentration would be extremely low and I doubt that they would show up in appreciable quantities in tapwater, maybe in parts per billion or even parts per trillion.  An activated carbon filter would be sufficient to remove most of them except for mineral salts like Lithium.  If you want to get a water distiller for your own peace of mind or because your tapwater is kind of brackish, get a good one, preferably with stainless steel or glass parts and keep the collecting jar very clean to prevent microbial growth.

I think that most people get the majority of their minerals from food rather than their water, anyway.

I'm lucky because the tap water is great here, but it does have lots of dissolved minerals.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #3142 on: February 15, 2012, 12:39:00 AM »
I guess lithium in parts per billion or trillion would be fine too. It won't be irgent now but I am going to save up for a distiller because I can taste things in most water, and because the filters keep changing so that I have to buy a new one rather than just the insides. The water in MA smelled horribly of chlorine, while the water here smells like swampwater and if left sitting grows things that look like worms.

I clean my beverage containers with a solution of food grade hydrogen peroxide. I'm thinking that would keep the collecting jar clean too.

Thanks.

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3143 on: February 15, 2012, 11:01:21 AM »
Would you rather cook or sew?
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3144 on: February 15, 2012, 02:29:52 PM »
Would you rather cook or sew?

I like to do both, but at different times.  If I have a big sewing project going on like the costumes I made for our daughter at Christmas, then we usually eat out or get take-out or else we make something simple to eat at home.  Sometimes I really enjoy cooking, though.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3145 on: February 26, 2012, 05:03:07 PM »
Hey Callaway, know of some good stretches to prevent neck and back pain?  Both are minor/not at a "scare" point for me, before you ask. 

If this makes a difference, I think I keep kinda tweaking my back doing pull-ups (well, trying to), and after rock climbing I'm wrecked (some of that is expect able, it's bloody rock climbing).  It's really more in my shoulders than along my spine, and it's achy.  When I can get a friend to give me a back massage it helps a lot.  The neck I think is partly how I'm sleeping and I think some of the rest might be postural.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3146 on: February 26, 2012, 11:39:25 PM »
Hey Callaway, know of some good stretches to prevent neck and back pain?  Both are minor/not at a "scare" point for me, before you ask. 

If this makes a difference, I think I keep kinda tweaking my back doing pull-ups (well, trying to), and after rock climbing I'm wrecked (some of that is expect able, it's bloody rock climbing).  It's really more in my shoulders than along my spine, and it's achy.  When I can get a friend to give me a back massage it helps a lot.  The neck I think is partly how I'm sleeping and I think some of the rest might be postural.

I don't know any off the top of my head, but I think that it makes sense that massage should be helpful if you carry a lot of tension in your neck and shoulders, so maybe what you need are some relaxation exercises for your neck and shoulders like you might do in some forms of yoga.  Shiatsu massagers for your neck and back aren't that expensive, if you want to check them out.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3147 on: February 27, 2012, 06:00:00 AM »
Everything is expensive to me, callaway.   :laugh:  I carry a lot of tension in my everything.  I'll look more into things myself.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #3148 on: February 27, 2012, 03:18:52 PM »
A supplement with magnesium can help your muscles relax.

I'm taking it regularly, on the advise of my physiotherapist. I see her a lot less, since I take it. And, when I have to see her now, she gets through the tension a lot easier.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3149 on: February 28, 2012, 01:43:13 AM »

A few ideas:

Get a new pillow. Take regular breaks at the computer--pain in your shoulders suggests that your problems do not originate from rock climbing.

But once you do rock climb, make sure you are warmed up first. That helps a lot, too.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein