Author Topic: Questions for Callaway  (Read 84809 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Questions for Callaway
« Reply #2490 on: February 04, 2010, 03:04:28 AM »
maybe the particles never coalesced into moons in the first place.
is this because of lack of gravity?

No, there simply wasn't enough of the stuff in one place so the gravitational forces couldn't strong enough.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #2491 on: February 04, 2010, 12:35:19 PM »
i am trying to install turbotax on my computer.  i have done so each year for the past five years.  but this time it won't work: error message 1603.

i tried installing it as administrator.  tried turning off my firewall.  and i cleaned up my disk to create big chunks of space but nothing is working.

i thought i would give you a crack at this before i call the tech people.
Misunderstood.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2492 on: February 04, 2010, 08:51:10 PM »
i am trying to install turbotax on my computer.  i have done so each year for the past five years.  but this time it won't work: error message 1603.

i tried installing it as administrator.  tried turning off my firewall.  and i cleaned up my disk to create big chunks of space but nothing is working.

I'm probably not the best person to ask, because my husband always does our taxes.

I googled Turbotax error message 1603 and found this on the Turbotax website:

http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/kb/installing/errors/5093.html    Error 1603: "A fatal error occurred during installation or updating"

You probably already found this, but here it is in case you didn't.  I also found this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2010/01/26/9953883.aspx   "TurboTax 2009 can fail to install because it thinks the .NET Framework is not installed, even when it is"

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2493 on: February 07, 2010, 08:10:50 AM »
windows update to update your .net may help.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #2494 on: February 07, 2010, 12:22:52 PM »

I'm probably not the best person to ask, because my husband always does our taxes.

I googled Turbotax error message 1603 and found this on the Turbotax website:

http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/kb/installing/errors/5093.html    Error 1603: "A fatal error occurred during installation or updating"

You probably already found this, but here it is in case you didn't.  I also found this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2010/01/26/9953883.aspx   "TurboTax 2009 can fail to install because it thinks the .NET Framework is not installed, even when it is"

this got us much further than we had gotten on our own.  but the .net failed to install at the last second.
Misunderstood.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #2495 on: February 07, 2010, 12:24:06 PM »

i was thinking the same thing.  but, i don't really like to do windows updates.  i don't know how to do it selectively and it seems that their service packs always slow down my computer,
to me it just isn't worth it.
Misunderstood.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #2496 on: February 07, 2010, 04:06:19 PM »

i was thinking the same thing.  but, i don't really like to do windows updates.  i don't know how to do it selectively and it seems that their service packs always slow down my computer,

When your computer gets owned by hackers you'll think it's worth updating.

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2497 on: February 07, 2010, 04:10:31 PM »

When your computer gets owned by hackers you'll think it's worth updating.
Thats true.   To not install a particular update, just uncheck it. You need those security updates!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2498 on: February 07, 2010, 07:53:21 PM »
Yup. They do help and Windows is vulnerable because it is targeted by so many hackers.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #2499 on: February 08, 2010, 01:26:50 AM »
why do their updtes always make my computer run more slowly?
Misunderstood.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2500 on: February 08, 2010, 01:56:30 AM »
why do their updates always make my computer run more slowly?

There are several things that you can do to speed up your computer, most of them only if you know what you are doing.

I use CCleaner to clear off temp files. You can use the registry cleaner in it, but things like that generally can introduce their own problems

You can also use a registry defragger, that can speed things up a little.

Also a general file defrag ever now and again.

What I do when a Service Pack is released (ie: SP1, SP2 or SP3 etc) is roll it into the install disc and re-install windows fresh. Much better than an ancient install with a few service packs tacked on here and there.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #2501 on: February 08, 2010, 01:59:33 AM »

There are several things that you can do to speed up your computer, most of them only if you know what you are doing.

I use CCleaner to clear off temp files. You can use the registry cleaner in it, but things like that generally can introduce their own problems

What I do when a Service Pack is released (ie: SP1, SP2 or SP3 etc) is roll it into the install disc and re-install windows fresh. Much better than an ancient install with a few service packs tacked on here and there.
i use system suite9.  i put all my computer maintenence on a schedule.  since i haqve been doing that my computer has run well.

also it comes with a firewall which stops all internet traffic from from computer, unless i specifically allow it.

how else do hackers get in?
Misunderstood.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2502 on: February 08, 2010, 02:01:55 AM »

i use system suite9.  i put all my computer maintenence on a schedule.  since i haqve been doing that my computer has run well.

also it comes with a firewall which stops all internet traffic from from computer, unless i specifically allow it.

Say a program from your operating system is currently allowed through your firewall and say that same program has a bug that can be exploited by hackers. Bam! you system is owned and is now a zombie used in DDoS attacks or used to send spam etc.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #2503 on: February 08, 2010, 02:47:33 AM »

Say a program from your operating system is currently allowed through your firewall and say that same program has a bug that can be exploited by hackers. Bam! you system is owned and is now a zombie used in DDoS attacks or used to send spam etc.
ah well!  i'd like to get another computer anyway.  and that would make for a great excuse.  it would be a bitch being without the internet for a few days.
Misunderstood.

Offline Phlexor

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2504 on: February 08, 2010, 04:55:32 AM »

ah well!  i'd like to get another computer anyway.  and that would make for a great excuse.  it would be a bitch being without the internet for a few days.

The best thing to do would be to get more ram for your existing one. Not enough ram is usually the biggest problem with regards to speed.

Then you backup all your important files to a USB flash drive or a USB Hard drive and then you reformat and reinstall your O/S plus programs.