Author Topic: Questions for Callaway  (Read 84804 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: Questions for Callaway
« Reply #2475 on: January 31, 2010, 06:57:11 AM »
A serious  one do you think you daughter will ever be ever to live interdependently where in a group setting otr on her own?

I don't know, but we're trying to give her the best chance possible to live as independently as she can.

One of the boys who attends the same school she does lives in a group home because his parents can't deal with him, so I have seen a little what that's like.

Independence is the best gift we can give them I envision my son and daughter needing help but we try our best teaching life skills

:plus:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #2476 on: January 31, 2010, 07:03:21 AM »
I imagine all parents of kids with some difficulties would have those fears?

Yup. I am very proud of my little boy. Love him to bits. I do recognise in many ways he is like a 7 to 8 year old in the way he behaves and that is at odds to his 5'4" 60kg frame and near 13 years. I know he will be the most he can be and recognise all he tries. No issue there. The world is a crappy place though so I want him to have it as easy as he can. Not being independent and having to grow up quicker than he is able will make it harder for him. Not me.

Just an aside to what I have written about my son.

My eldest has Autism. He is in many way just a little boy. Given to make believe constantly and not socially aware and as he approaches 13 I fear him becoming a man too quickly for him to adequately deal with. He just doesn't on a day to day basis. More like a compliant 7 year old in many respects. Great kid but very much (despite the fact he is 5'4" and 60 kgs)  little boy.

However when the going gets tough he always steps up to the plate and acts older than his years and without prompting.

Directly after the car he was screaming and screaming in one long wail. I calmed him and he burst into tears and his sister too. He then rallied incredibly. I felt them both over, and fired questions at them and made sure that they knew I and they were OK and what would happen. I climbed into the back and we all had a quick cuddle in the back. I had to leave them to deal with various people outside.

Though obviously scared and frightened by the experience and with a crying inconsolable sister that needed comfort and with a Dad that had to deal with what was outside. He took up the task of being brave and mature and quietly soothing and consoling her.

She was in great hands. Of course between things I climbing into the back and took over in cuddling them both. But every time I had to leave them. He took up the slack admirably.

This is no one off. I have seen it time and time again. He is growing into a fine man and I am very proud of him.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2477 on: January 31, 2010, 07:55:21 PM »
Sir Les - sometimes an event like that can bring self awareness and that improves things. I will try and explain it from my perspective.

At certain ages, my awareness of myself grew. I don't think it was the same as for other kids. It was not gradual. It was sudden, a shock. But when I was 14, that was when I first realised I was different. Then when I was 17, I realised I would have to really grow up int an adult and make myself go out in the world. The results were mostly disastrous but I learnt a lot.

Then when I was 27 I was diagnosed with autism (HFA). I then went through the mental health system and had ECT and all that. I was in denial about being autistic, it was really depressing to me. But after that I came to terms (mostly) with being autistic and accepting that I would always have difficulties with a lot of things. I will never be normal. But I can live independently with a bit of help.

I hope that no one's kids go through what I went through but just wanted to say that self awareness happens and this can mean a sudden bout of progress.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #2478 on: February 01, 2010, 04:51:59 AM »
how long does typical digestion take?  from the time you eat your food til the time that you expel your food.
Misunderstood.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2479 on: February 01, 2010, 08:52:01 AM »
how long does typical digestion take?  from the time you eat your food til the time that you expel your food.

They say the speed of digestion depends on which foods you eat, with high fat foods taking longer to digest than simple sugars, but I think it averages 24 to 72 hours for typical healthy adults.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #2480 on: February 01, 2010, 12:04:13 PM »
if i ate some bad food about how long would it take for me to develope symptoms?
Misunderstood.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2481 on: February 01, 2010, 12:15:15 PM »
if i ate some bad food about how long would it take for me to develope symptoms?

I think it depends on the bad food you ate.  If you ingested some sort of toxin, you could develop symptoms of food poisoning very quickly, but some kinds of bacteria could take as long as a couple of days or more to build up to toxic levels in your body.

What are your symptoms and when did they start?  Did anyone else get sick after eating this food?

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #2482 on: February 01, 2010, 12:25:28 PM »

I think it depends on the bad food you ate.  If you ingested some sort of toxin, you could develop symptoms of food poisoning very quickly, but some kinds of bacteria could take as long as a couple of days or more to build up to toxic levels in your body.

What are your symptoms and when did they start?  Did anyone else get sick after eating this food?
i ate del taco and got sever stomach cramps about six hours later.  then i shit liquid for about 12 hours.

the reason i wanted to know the timeframe is because i wanted to figure out what food did it to me or if i just ahad a little bug.
Misunderstood.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2483 on: February 01, 2010, 12:34:59 PM »

i ate del taco and got sever stomach cramps about six hours later.  then i shit liquid for about 12 hours.

the reason i wanted to know the timeframe is because i wanted to figure out what food did it to me or if i just ahad a little bug.

I remember reading that many 'stomach bugs' are actually mild cases of food poisoning.  Those sounds like classic symptoms of a self-limiting case of E coli food poisoning to me, but it could have been some other kind of bacteria or virus.  Did you vomit too?

Offline iceman1985

• Incessant Poster
  • Bow to me!
« Reply #2484 on: February 01, 2010, 02:20:39 PM »
I imagine all parents of kids with some difficulties would have those fears?

I know my parents did
My little piece of hell
stay the fuck out of it

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #2485 on: February 01, 2010, 02:21:23 PM »

I remember reading that many 'stomach bugs' are actually mild cases of food poisoning.  Those sounds like classic symptoms of a self-limiting case of E coli food poisoning to me, but it could have been some other kind of bacteria or virus.  Did you vomit too?
no vomiting.  i felt nauseous, but i rarely puke.
Misunderstood.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #2486 on: February 03, 2010, 09:08:32 PM »
what are the rings around uranus made of?
Misunderstood.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2487 on: February 04, 2010, 12:28:22 AM »
They are made of particles similar to Uranus' moons. Perhaps some of these smaller moons broke apart when they collided or maybe the particles never coalesced into moons in the first place.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #2488 on: February 04, 2010, 12:30:54 AM »
maybe the particles never coalesced into moons in the first place.
is this because of lack of gravity?
Misunderstood.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2489 on: February 04, 2010, 12:52:14 AM »
maybe the particles never coalesced into moons in the first place.
is this because of lack of gravity?

I don't think that would be the reason why, but I'm not sure.  It is only the gas giant planets which have a lot of gravity compared to smaller planets that have rings.