Educational

Author Topic: Questions for Callaway  (Read 84795 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Questions for Callaway
« Reply #2085 on: May 05, 2009, 03:30:25 AM »
Is it customery to respond to or acknowledge someone when they interrupt you, tell you to do something, and then stand there as if they are waiting for some kind of response?

I don't know.

I think it would depend on who it was, what they told you to do, and how they told you.

If it was your boss interrupting your non-work-related conversation at the water cooler, telling you to take on a project, then I would say you should definitely acknowledge him/her.

If it were your child interrupting your conversation with an adult by asking you for the eleventh time to give her a cookie when you have already told her ten times, "No cookies before dinner," then I would say it might be best to ignore her.

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • May the FORCE be with you...always!!!
« Reply #2086 on: May 05, 2009, 09:19:15 AM »
Is it customery to respond to or acknowledge someone when they interrupt you, tell you to do something, and then stand there as if they are waiting for some kind of response?

I don't know.

I think it would depend on who it was, what they told you to do, and how they told you.

If it was your boss interrupting your non-work-related conversation at the water cooler, telling you to take on a project, then I would say you should definitely acknowledge him/her.

If it were your child interrupting your conversation with an adult by asking you for the eleventh time to give her a cookie when you have already told her ten times, "No cookies before dinner," then I would say it might be best to ignore her.

What if it is the 'ol ball and chain? I actually do this for everyone. It's not that I don't listen and note what is being asked of me, but I am not one to waste energy and whatnot on acknowledgement, etc. It really drives my kids crazy, because I cannot get them to realize that I am listening even though I didn't say, "What?" when they said "Daddy! Daddy!" I can't get them to realize people don't have to be looking at you to listen either. I guess this is somewhat of an Aspie thing, but the way the 'ol ball and chain handles it is to scream and yell and call me names. If I didn't pay attention and eventually do what was asked of me then I could sort of understand, but that is not the case.
Crazy, I'm halfway to crazy
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me
Tongue tied and tied to the tongue
Oh, is life as bad as dreams
I guess that's just the way it seems

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2087 on: May 05, 2009, 12:18:29 PM »

I don't know.

What if it is the 'ol ball and chain? I actually do this for everyone. It's not that I don't listen and note what is being asked of me, but I am not one to waste energy and whatnot on acknowledgement, etc. It really drives my kids crazy, because I cannot get them to realize that I am listening even though I didn't say, "What?" when they said "Daddy! Daddy!" I can't get them to realize people don't have to be looking at you to listen either. I guess this is somewhat of an Aspie thing, but the way the 'ol ball and chain handles it is to scream and yell and call me names. If I didn't pay attention and eventually do what was asked of me then I could sort of understand, but that is not the case.

I think that you are supposed to acknowledge the children when they are asking for something appropriately, otherwise your lack of response will encourage them to resort to inappropriate behavior to get your attention and their mom is modeling inappropriate behavior for them, unfortunately.  Even if the answer is "No," or "No cookies before dinner," or "OK, but in a few minutes," they still need to hear it.

I think that you and the kids will have a happier life at home if you also acknowledge it when your wife talks to you, just so at least she knows you heard her, even if the answer is "No."

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2088 on: May 05, 2009, 12:21:24 PM »

I don't know.

I think that you are supposed to acknowledge the children when they are asking for something appropriately, otherwise your lack of response will encourage them to resort to inappropriate behavior to get your attention and their mom is modeling inappropriate behavior for them, unfortunately.  Even if the answer is "No," or "No cookies before dinner," or "OK, but in a few minutes," they still need to hear it.

I think that you and the kids will have a happier life at home if you also acknowledge it when your wife talks to you, just so at least she knows you heard her, even if the answer is "No."

I guess everything is my fault!  :P Social norms suck!  :thumbdn:
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me

Offline SleepyDragon

• Little Green Lizard of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #2089 on: May 06, 2009, 04:16:52 AM »
I've got the opposite problem, Trig. I'll be staring at the computer screen, and one of the kids will speak to me, and I'll go, "Yeah, yeah, sure, fine, whatever. Now get outta here," and then later I'll learn that I've agreed to, say, let half-a-dozen teenage boys sleep over for the weekend at our house. Maybe I should change my script? "Absolutely not! Out of the question!" or maybe, "Go see what your dad has to say." :evillaugh:

How NT is the rest of your family? Maybe they're not picking up on the non-verbal cues you are sending out. Perhaps you could establish a set of hand signals or gestures. My kids are teaching me new ones all the time. :o

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2090 on: May 06, 2009, 08:50:40 AM »
^ I can do the same thing with regards to just saying, "Yeah, sure...whatever!" Fortunately, I have yet to miss what was being asked so no teenage boys spending the night. :zoinks:

Callaway,

Am I crazy to be intrigued so much by complex and complicated puzzles?

Am I completely clueless?

What did I miss?

What is my point?

Thanks,

Trigger11
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2091 on: May 06, 2009, 08:52:47 AM »
I take a more negative view than you guys on this kind of stuff. If someone is having a problem with something I said, I tell them to shut the fuck up usually.

I also keep the social interaction to a minimum. It reduces the chances of a fuckup.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2092 on: May 06, 2009, 09:13:50 AM »
I take a more negative view than you guys on this kind of stuff. If someone is having a problem with something I said, I tell them to shut the fuck up usually.

I also keep the social interaction to a minimum. It reduces the chances of a fuckup.

You can't really do that with young children and if you do that with a partner, you will likely cause way more distress for yourself. At times, some form of attachment or caring exists and a desire to not hurt them, while also being understood, is desperately hoped for.
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2093 on: May 06, 2009, 10:06:33 AM »
^ I can do the same thing with regards to just saying, "Yeah, sure...whatever!" Fortunately, I have yet to miss what was being asked so no teenage boys spending the night. :zoinks:

Callaway,

Am I crazy to be intrigued so much by complex and complicated puzzles?

Am I completely clueless?

What did I miss?

What is my point?

Thanks,

Trigger11

I don't think that you are crazy or completely clueless at all.

I think that maybe you have more problems that I do formulating a response to questions or requests from your children or your spouse.

You are right that you can't give Rage's response to your children unless you want to have them imitating that behavior, which I don't think you would, and giving it to your wife would tick her off and you and your children would suffer for it.

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2094 on: May 06, 2009, 01:22:49 PM »
I just looked at myself in the mirror. Something I rarely do. Why do I always look stoned?
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2095 on: May 06, 2009, 01:25:04 PM »
Your eyes look unfocused?

Offline Trigger 11

• Dark Jedi Master
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2096 on: May 06, 2009, 01:35:19 PM »
Half open and dazed. It's a good thing I wear 8) all the time in public. Whenever I interact with law enforcement, they want to tell me I am stoned or on something.
Suicide would waste me
Homicide would break me

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2097 on: May 06, 2009, 01:37:22 PM »
Half open and dazed. It's a good thing I wear 8) all the time in public. Whenever I interact with law enforcement, they want to tell me I am stoned or on something.

They are probably dazzled by the light.  I mean you do wear sunglasses for a good reason.

TheoK

« Reply #2098 on: May 06, 2009, 01:45:16 PM »
Pigs are cowards and oppressors and deserve lead therapy. :litigious: :arrr:

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #2099 on: May 10, 2009, 08:25:58 PM »
ON BEHALF OF YOUR KID AND EVERYONE YOU'VE HELPED AND SUPPORTED: HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher