Educational

Author Topic: Questions for Callaway  (Read 84810 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Questions for Callaway
« Reply #1830 on: November 15, 2008, 08:02:25 PM »
I don't think most sushi has any wheat ingredients in it.

They use glutinous rice, but glutinous rice does not have any wheat gluten.

Actually it does - most Asian restaurants use soy sauce made from wheat, and some cheap sushi uses artifical crab meat with wheat in it. It's something you have to check for if you're staying GF, and the wait staff usually don't know.

NO, they rarely have a clue as to what you are asking. Often the kitchen does not either.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #1831 on: November 15, 2008, 08:23:52 PM »
I often don't get as far as asking the kitchen - it's easier to research in advance where the risks are than trust the second-hand word of some cook who may just be trying to make the annoying customer go away.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1832 on: November 15, 2008, 08:53:30 PM »
I don't think most sushi has any wheat ingredients in it.

They use glutinous rice, but glutinous rice does not have any wheat gluten.

Actually it does - most Asian restaurants use soy sauce made from wheat, and some cheap sushi uses artifical crab meat with wheat in it. It's something you have to check for if you're staying GF, and the wait staff usually don't know.

Wow, I didn't know that artificial crab meat had wheat products in it.  Thanks.

Here is some information about artificial crab meat and how it's made:

http://ask.yahoo.com/20030110.html

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1833 on: November 15, 2008, 08:55:49 PM »
My daughter is allergic to corn, so we often ask about that at various restaurants.  The staff go and look at the labels for us to make sure that there is no corn in the food we want to feed her.

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #1834 on: November 15, 2008, 11:39:11 PM »
My daughter is allergic to corn, so we often ask about that at various restaurants.  The staff go and look at the labels for us to make sure that there is no corn in the food we want to feed her.
That sounds incredibly difficult...  they put corn in EVERYTHING these days.

I read that even farm raised fish are being fed corn based feeds these days.
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1835 on: November 16, 2008, 03:39:45 AM »
That sounds incredibly difficult...  they put corn in EVERYTHING these days.

I read that even farm raised fish are being fed corn based feeds these days.

It is a bit difficult.  For example, if we took her to a McDonald's for breakfast, there is corn in their hash browns and their pancakes, so she can have a biscuit or a cinnamon roll.  Burger King has a macaroni and cheese kid's meal with fresh apple "fries" so that's usually what she wants if we get fast food for lunch or dinner.  If she wants potato chips, then we have to find out what kind of oil the potato chips she eats were fried in, since corn oil causes a problem for her.  Many pizza places use corn meal to keep the dough from sticking, but if we ask, the pizza place that is close to us will clean the area of corn meal and use wheat flour instead.

Luckily, we have not had to worry yet what the meat she eats has been fed, but she doesn't eat very much meat at all anyway.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1836 on: November 16, 2008, 06:51:50 AM »
I have not heard of an allergy to corn before.

Tomorrow I am to have a blood test for cholesterol and to see if I am sensitive to gluten. If I have to have a gluten free diet, then I won't be too happy because most of what I eat probably has gluten in it.

I have a question: What was university like for you? How long were you there for?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 07:19:51 AM by renaeden »
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1837 on: November 16, 2008, 07:56:26 AM »
I have not heard of an allergy to corn before.

Tomorrow I am to have a blood test for cholesterol and to see if I am sensitive to gluten. If I have to have a gluten free diet, then I won't be too happy because most of what I eat probably has gluten in it.

I have a question: What was university like for you? How long were you there for?

Good luck with the test, then.

I was at one university for four years to get my BS in Chemical Engineering and at another university for even longer than that (off and on) to get my MS in Chemical Engineering.  It was harder than high school for me, but I finally finished my Master's degree.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1838 on: November 16, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »
How did you get accepted into university?

Over here, there are the TEE (Tertiary Entrance Examinations) which are done in high school. Or one could go to TAFE (Technical And Further Education) which is like college to get enough scores/points to get into uni.. There is also the STAT (Special Tertiary Admissions Test) which I could have done for mature age entry but didn't because I saw an example of it and it looked really difficult.

Or there is the university enabling program which I did.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1839 on: November 16, 2008, 07:19:22 PM »
I applied to undergraduate school.  I had high scores on the standardized tests universities use to determine one's eligibility to attend (ACT and SAT as an undergraduate and GRE as a graduate student) and I had good grades in high school and reasonably good grades in undergraduate and graduate school.  I also got good letters of recommendation from some of my undergraduate professors to attend graduate school.

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #1840 on: November 25, 2008, 03:56:10 PM »

Becareful, I noticed, probably, most  people lack the intellegence I do, so just be warned, they same thing may apply to you to, so they fuck up.
famous piligram John Alden is my direct descendent. physically fit!, wanna hit me yet?, warnning, you may have to acutually walk first! Persuasive creates his own luck has ability & drive to succeed   drink "Diet Dr. Maina" :) "62" orgasms at 1 time Fuck you faggot ass! not wishing Metabolic profile ( insulin metabolism etc) is almost perfect with no psychic meds, so go fuck yourself! semiautonomic controll over tear glands ambedexterous

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1841 on: November 25, 2008, 06:08:10 PM »

Becareful, I noticed, probably, most  people lack the intellegence I do, so just be warned, they same thing may apply to you to, so they fuck up.

OK.  Thanks.

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #1842 on: November 29, 2008, 01:33:20 PM »

Uh, hate my gloating. ::)  Smart people eat well to fuel their brains, I believe I am responsible for that in some way.    I have had happen to myself a few times, they say it doesn't have it, because the companies change their wording to possibly confuse people into buying their products.
famous piligram John Alden is my direct descendent. physically fit!, wanna hit me yet?, warnning, you may have to acutually walk first! Persuasive creates his own luck has ability & drive to succeed   drink "Diet Dr. Maina" :) "62" orgasms at 1 time Fuck you faggot ass! not wishing Metabolic profile ( insulin metabolism etc) is almost perfect with no psychic meds, so go fuck yourself! semiautonomic controll over tear glands ambedexterous

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #1843 on: December 04, 2008, 11:45:34 AM »
Do you taste good offline?

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1844 on: December 04, 2008, 02:14:31 PM »
I have good taste.