Educational

Author Topic: Questions for Callaway  (Read 84809 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Questions for Callaway
« Reply #1710 on: June 11, 2008, 12:21:26 PM »

I think that is really good advice you have offered to Coral, Callaway.

:plus:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1711 on: June 22, 2008, 02:10:56 AM »
Callaway, is your hand feeling any better?
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1712 on: June 22, 2008, 02:22:35 AM »

Yes.  The bruising and swelling of the whole left hand have gone down, so the bruising and pain is pretty much concentrated in just the broken finger and the one next to it now.

Also, I usually "buddy tape" the broken finger to the one next to it rather than wear the splint I was given at urgent care, which seems to make my whole hand and wrist ache when I wear it, but it offers more protection to accidentally bumping the finger, so I still wear it sometimes.  "Buddy taping" lets me use my thumb and first two fingers better, so it's kind of a trade-off.

I have completely lost the wrinkles in the joints of my broken finger because of course I haven't bent it at all in two weeks, but it looks kind of strange to me.

I fell again a few days ago and badly skinned my left elbow, but luckily I did not re-injure my broken finger.

Thanks for asking.

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #1713 on: June 22, 2008, 08:05:37 AM »

Yes.  The bruising and swelling of the whole left hand have gone down, so the bruising and pain is pretty much concentrated in just the broken finger and the one next to it now.

Also, I usually "buddy tape" the broken finger to the one next to it rather than wear the splint I was given at urgent care, which seems to make my whole hand and wrist ache when I wear it, but it offers more protection to accidentally bumping the finger, so I still wear it sometimes.  "Buddy taping" lets me use my thumb and first two fingers better, so it's kind of a trade-off.

I have completely lost the wrinkles in the joints of my broken finger because of course I haven't bent it at all in two weeks, but it looks kind of strange to me.

I fell again a few days ago and badly skinned my left elbow, but luckily I did not re-injure my broken finger.

Thanks for asking.
How come you keep falling?  Is there something going on?
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1714 on: June 22, 2008, 10:10:09 AM »

Thanks for asking.
How come you keep falling?  Is there something going on?

I hope not.

I fell the first time because I was watching my daughter instead of the ground and there was a (IMO) poorly designed handicapped ramp.  It was wider at the bottom and it had a curb on the sides at the top and my foot caught on the curb and I tripped.

I fell the second time because my daughter ran toward a woman who was talking on a cell phone and I wanted to catch her before she reached the woman and physically attacked her, but I had to turn around and I tripped over my own clumsy feet.  I wonder if part of the reason I fell was because of my protectiveness toward my hurt finger, because I have chased and caught my daughter lots of times before she reached her target when she has done something like this before.

Anyway, I got up of the sidewalk and went and pried my daughter's fingers on her left hand out of the woman's hair and then the woman said to her very nicely, "Would you please let go of my necklace?"  Then I realized that she had also grabbed her necklace as well as her hair, so I told her to let go as I pried her right hand's fingers off the hair and the necklace.  I apologized to the woman, who said she understood because she works with special needs, then I wrestled my daughter to the car and made her get inside.

When I asked my daughter why she did it, she said the woman was talking on a cell phone and wearing a necklace, so why not annoy her?

:brickwall:

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #1715 on: June 22, 2008, 08:02:31 PM »
Seems perfectly logical to me.   :laugh:
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

ozymandias

« Reply #1716 on: June 22, 2008, 08:44:24 PM »

:eyebrow: :vulcan:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1717 on: June 23, 2008, 08:28:10 AM »

Spock says:

"Logic is but the beginning of wisdom, not the end."

... and I agree. Observing the subtleties of  "civilized behavior"   must take firm precedence over pure logic, at times anyway.

Thankfully, mine have learned to respect (or at least ignore) strange adults and have mostly stopped doing this.

Glad you're doing better, Callaway!

My daughter gave herself a haircut, yesterday. I was working in the garage, Mom was cooking, she was playing with her dolls (lining them up into little square shapes on the floor - she is still very stressed out from my bloody head cut). She decided that her bangs were bothering her and gave herself a mullet-cut. I felt so bad for her, because she wants to grow out her bangs and braid them to wrap around her head, like "a princess,"  but  ... I did not want to make a BIG deal out of it either and grind in her mistake. I had to force myself to swallow hard a few times to keep an even keel.
She had grown her hair long enough to reach around to the back with braids on each side when she did this.
 :'(

Do you think I was right to play it down and just remind her that hair "will grow back."
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 08:30:23 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1718 on: June 23, 2008, 11:33:10 AM »

Spock says:

"Logic is but the beginning of wisdom, not the end."

... and I agree. Observing the subtleties of  "civilized behavior"   must take firm precedence over pure logic, at times anyway.

Thankfully, mine have learned to respect (or at least ignore) strange adults and have mostly stopped doing this.

Glad you're doing better, Callaway!

My daughter gave herself a haircut, yesterday. I was working in the garage, Mom was cooking, she was playing with her dolls (lining them up into little square shapes on the floor - she is still very stressed out from my bloody head cut). She decided that her bangs were bothering her and gave herself a mullet-cut. I felt so bad for her, because she wants to grow out her bangs and braid them to wrap around her head, like "a princess,"  but  ... I did not want to make a BIG deal out of it either and grind in her mistake. I had to force myself to swallow hard a few times to keep an even keel.
She had grown her hair long enough to reach around to the back with braids on each side when she did this.
 :'(

Do you think I was right to play it down and just remind her that hair "will grow back."

When my daughter cut her own hair I did something similar to what you did (I commiserated with her and told her that her hair would grow back) but I also put the scissors in the cabinet over the stove so she couldn't do it again and for a while she used the scissors only while she was supervised at home and we went over exactly what we were going to cut with them (paper) before she got her hands on them.

Of course, she got hold of another pair of scissors in preschool one day and quickly cut a chunk out of her hair before the teacher could stop her.

:laugh:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #1719 on: June 23, 2008, 05:58:35 PM »

I know nothing about children but in my out-there interpretation of the universe, she's empathizing with you.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1720 on: June 23, 2008, 08:02:15 PM »

I know nothing about children but in my out-there interpretation of the universe, she's empathizing with you.

If you're "out there,"  then so am I, because that was one of my first thoughts.

It was really odd, because she has been trusted with scissors for a couple of years, now. It seems to me that it must  be related in some way, though, because she has been a spazcase ever since it happened.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #1721 on: June 23, 2008, 08:14:06 PM »
That means you're probably right to play it down, though, because if you rubbed in that it was a mistake, she might also think that empathizing was a mistake.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #1722 on: June 23, 2008, 08:20:39 PM »
It can be scary the first time you realize your parents are mortal, I think. Maybe that's what's going on with her.

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #1723 on: August 11, 2008, 09:01:41 AM »
Callway, have you ever had thrush or other assorted vaginal itching, smelling or rash?
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline The Member Formerly Known As Sophist

• Too Eliter for the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • I am what I am and that's all what I am.
    • Gestalt: An Autism Forum
« Reply #1724 on: August 11, 2008, 09:37:25 AM »
Callway, have you ever had thrush or other assorted vaginal itching, smelling or rash?

Thrush isn't relegated to the vagina. --Nor to females for that matter.  :green:
Flibbit.