Educational

Author Topic: Questions for Callaway  (Read 84814 times)

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Questions for Callaway
« Reply #1455 on: February 21, 2008, 03:25:00 PM »
dawg, i love you.  :pinkbeat:

:-*

that's fucking top bananananana.  my students will love you too.

Offline Tristeza

• Official Outsider of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #1456 on: February 21, 2008, 03:28:55 PM »
I had pica, up until about age 8 or 9.   :-\  I'd eat paint chips, broken bits of concrete, paper, the wood off pencils, crayons, lipstick...I was out of control.  I got teased and called a billy goat.   :laugh:  It's pretty scary looking back on this, because it's obvious those paint chips didn't do me any favors.   :(

I was good about staying away from things that people had actually pointed out to me as unsafe, but anything else was fair game until I was caught.  DD, I think if you explain to her just how dangerous those crystals off the road can be, she'll probably get the point.  I always did, once someone got firm with me about it. 
hats off to the man on top of the world
come crawl up here baby, and we can watch this damn thing turn

Sophgay

« Reply #1457 on: February 21, 2008, 03:33:19 PM »
I used to pick stuff up all the time
I never ate them though
Just kept them as "treasure" :D

Sophgay

« Reply #1458 on: February 21, 2008, 03:34:08 PM »
I used to want to be Peter Pan
My brothers always made me be Captain Hook though
I met Captain Hook at DisneyLand

Sophgay

« Reply #1459 on: February 21, 2008, 03:36:18 PM »
My mum says I put too much salt on my fries

Offline Tristeza

• Official Outsider of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #1460 on: February 21, 2008, 03:38:20 PM »
I always wanted to be Heidi, because my grandfather was the only one in my family who I felt comfortable with.  I wanted to move with him to a Swiss mountaintop, and play with the goats and dogs.  :zoinks:
hats off to the man on top of the world
come crawl up here baby, and we can watch this damn thing turn

Sophgay

« Reply #1461 on: February 21, 2008, 03:40:45 PM »
I wanted to be peter pan and Superman at one point lol
I dunno why, maybe I wanted to fly
I had a fear of flying for quite a few years though
Then it went and I flew to New York
In a plane obviously
Got really bad pain in my ears when we were landing at JFK
But not when taking off or landing in manchester
Was very cold in New York
I want to go to San Francisco

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1462 on: February 23, 2008, 01:25:21 PM »
Understand that my knowledge of chemistry is minimal, incomplete and dangerous to begin with, but I have a product that is supposedly GOOD for my fuel system in my car.

It claims to "dissolve water" in the fuel tank and "keep it in suspension" to be burned, harmlessly,"  along with the rest of the gasoline.

i'm trying to find out what this stuff is and it is apparently an alcohol compound. The claims are that it will dissolve water, which to me starts out as bullshit, since using latin, water is already a liquid at pressures and temperatures where alcohol is liquid.. The further claims are that it keeps water in suspension - which of course means that it is possible to somehow combine with water and lower the specific gravity of the combination of chemicals (water dissolved in alcohol) enough that the specific gravity of this solution with water dissolved in it is less than, or simil;ar to, that of gasoline.

Am I being an overly paranoid consumer or is this product description totally full of shit?

O!

It's called HEET. I don't believe theri claims.

It is a great iea, but I don't think they can do this with something that I can pour into the tank.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 01:28:50 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1463 on: February 23, 2008, 01:37:17 PM »
dawg, i love you.  :pinkbeat:

:-*

that's fucking top bananananana.  my students will love you too.

I have my doubts, but your'e welcome or something.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1464 on: February 23, 2008, 01:54:11 PM »
Understand that my knowledge of chemistry is minimal, incomplete and dangerous to begin with, but I have a product that is supposedly GOOD for my fuel system in my car.

It claims to "dissolve water" in the fuel tank and "keep it in suspension" to be burned, harmlessly,"  along with the rest of the gasoline.

i'm trying to find out what this stuff is and it is apparently an alcohol compound. The claims are that it will dissolve water, which to me starts out as bullshit, since using latin, water is already a liquid at pressures and temperatures where alcohol is liquid.. The further claims are that it keeps water in suspension - which of course means that it is possible to somehow combine with water and lower the specific gravity of the combination of chemicals (water dissolved in alcohol) enough that the specific gravity of this solution with water dissolved in it is less than, or simil;ar to, that of gasoline.

Am I being an overly paranoid consumer or is this product description totally full of shit?

O!

It is a great iea, but I don't think they can do this with something that I can pour into the tank.

No, it's not BS.  It probably has methanol in it, among other chemical compounds.  

People sometimes get some water in their gas tanks, perhaps because of high humidity and keeping their gas tank near empty or perhaps forgetting to put the gas cap back on.  If this happens, the water sits on the bottom of the tank because gasoline and water won't mix, in the same way that oil and water won't mix.  A chemist would say that oil and water are not miscible, rather than soluble, since they are both liquids.

Water is miscible with methanol and an methanol-water mixture is miscible with gasoline (as long as there is not too much water) so adding methanol to your gas tank is a way of getting the water out of the gas tank.

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #1465 on: February 23, 2008, 02:42:58 PM »
From what I remember, 11 years old is stage of concrete operations, and last is stage of formal operations.
The child cannot conserve weight or length, but given so close to then next stage, I am willing to bet your child can.  Callaway, what happened before your child got scared of sodium chloride?

I got another question, do you think you could run a mile faster than me, given that I have done an 11 hour aerobics session at almost maxium capacity, and I was 27lbs away from 12%body fat I wanted to be at.  I had no food and was going on caffeine low also.  Your husband could make a little cash doing nude shit for christ sakes, I got in thee with 24%body fat, but maybe because I exercised so hard, and stopped eating junkfood, it helped me get in to shitty back page.    I must have made a mistake in the calculations I fed into the machine when it said 5%.  Then all your husband would have to do is raise his arms and darken the image.  A midly devolped 6 pack comes out, that needs image darkening.    Maybe I was dehydrated so much that it looked good.  Fuckn nieve, people.  People who don't do well with lifestyle habits can mess up, and if you keep up, you can put one over on them.  Quote on quote NT's have paid me to much cash back.  Stupid fucks.  Overweight people can be healthier than skinny people if they are fit like me.  Repeating question, do you think you can run a mile quicker than me?
famous piligram John Alden is my direct descendent. physically fit!, wanna hit me yet?, warnning, you may have to acutually walk first! Persuasive creates his own luck has ability & drive to succeed   drink "Diet Dr. Maina" :) "62" orgasms at 1 time Fuck you faggot ass! not wishing Metabolic profile ( insulin metabolism etc) is almost perfect with no psychic meds, so go fuck yourself! semiautonomic controll over tear glands ambedexterous

Kosmonaut

« Reply #1466 on: February 23, 2008, 02:45:43 PM »
Repeating question, do you think you can run a mile quicker than me?

I think I can swim a mile quicker than you.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1467 on: February 23, 2008, 02:51:56 PM »
Repeating question, do you think you can run a mile quicker than me?

No, you can run a mile faster than I can, I'm pretty sure, Randy.

But I do not think that you are overweight, anyway.

Callaway, what happened before your child got scared of sodium chloride?

There was a character on a TV show for kids that she saw that could be destroyed by a single grain of sodium chloride, the Bionic Bunny.

She is the same way about lunar eclipses too, because of another character on another kid's TV show, which she is no longer allowed to see.

;D

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1468 on: February 23, 2008, 03:02:44 PM »

O!

No, it's not BS.  It probably has methanol in it, among other chemical compounds. 

People sometimes get some water in their gas tanks, perhaps because of high humidity and keeping their gas tank near empty or perhaps forgetting to put the gas cap back on.  If this happens, the water sits on the bottom of the tank because gasoline and water won't mix, in the same way that oil and water won't mix.  A chemist would say that oil and water are not miscible, rather than soluble, since they are both liquids.

Water is miscible with methanol and an methanol-water mixture is miscible with gasoline (as long as there is not too much water) so adding methanol to your gas tank is a way of getting the water out of the gas tank.

So,I suppose the plan should be to put this prudoct into my tank (it is very common to have car failure in Indianas because of high humidity and cold temperatures causing condensation in the fuel tanks) and run the tank out of gas?

I still don't see how it can keep water "in suspension,"  since water is so much heavier than gasoline. 

What about ethanol? I use fuel with ethanol at ten to twelve per cent concentration. most of the time. I can use fifteen per cent, but those tanks are limited and almost always empty, because many owners of newer cars fill up there. Does ethanol have a similar effect on the water that condenses in the fuel tanks?

If so, then I may already be doing all I can and I don't need this product.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 03:06:59 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1469 on: February 23, 2008, 03:34:19 PM »

O!

No, it's not BS.  It probably has methanol in it, among other chemical compounds. 

People sometimes get some water in their gas tanks, perhaps because of high humidity and keeping their gas tank near empty or perhaps forgetting to put the gas cap back on.  If this happens, the water sits on the bottom of the tank because gasoline and water won't mix, in the same way that oil and water won't mix.  A chemist would say that oil and water are not miscible, rather than soluble, since they are both liquids.

So,I suppose the plan should be to put this prudoct into my tank (it is very common to have car failure in Indianas because of high humidity and cold temperatures causing condensation in the fuel tanks) and run the tank out of gas?

I still don't see how it can keep water "in suspension,"  since water is so much heavier than gasoline. 

What about ethanol? I use fuel with ethanol at ten to twelve per cent concentration. most of the time. I can use fifteen per cent, but those tanks are limited and almost always empty, because many owners of newer cars fill up there. Does ethanol have a similar effect on the water that condenses in the fuel tanks?

It is more a question of how much water will be miscible with the gasoline with which additives.  If there is too much water, then the gas tank would have to be removed and emptied.

Yes, the ethanol definitely helps keep to keep the water and gasoline mixed, if the fuel does not already have too much water in it.  You could also use about a pint of anhydrous isopropyl alcohol (not rubbing alcohol) to "mop up" the excess water, and it works very well.  If it were me, I probably would try the Heet, although there are several commercially available products that make water more miscible with gasoline.

I found this website, which has several of these products and claims to test them head to head, but I'm not saying that QMI is necessarily better than Heet or any of the other products:

http://www.qmimo.com/fuel_demo_gas.htm

I would run the gasoline as low as practical after adding the water remover, but never actually let it run out of gas, since that will hurt the fuel pump.