Educational

Author Topic: Questions for Callaway  (Read 84818 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Questions for Callaway
« Reply #1440 on: February 20, 2008, 12:13:51 PM »

Have you managed to influence your daughter to KEEP things out of her mouth? How do you help her to recognize that certain things are ALWAYS dangerous, no matter how good they taste?

I just discovered that my daughter is picking up salt crystals from the road plows and keeping the "pretty ones" to suck on during the day.

Got any suggestions?
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #1441 on: February 20, 2008, 12:17:02 PM »

Have you managed to influence your daughter to KEEP things out of her mouth? How do you help her to recognize that certain things are ALWAYS dangerous, no matter how good they taste?

I just discovered that my daughter is picking up salt crystals from the road plows and keeping the "pretty ones" to suck on during the day.

Got any suggestions?

Try and find out what need sucking on pretty salt crystals fufills, and try to get her to fulfill that need some other way.  I study child devolpement, I wish to see piaget's stages of devolpement in action, someday.
famous piligram John Alden is my direct descendent. physically fit!, wanna hit me yet?, warnning, you may have to acutually walk first! Persuasive creates his own luck has ability & drive to succeed   drink "Diet Dr. Maina" :) "62" orgasms at 1 time Fuck you faggot ass! not wishing Metabolic profile ( insulin metabolism etc) is almost perfect with no psychic meds, so go fuck yourself! semiautonomic controll over tear glands ambedexterous

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #1442 on: February 20, 2008, 12:38:53 PM »
* ALLDAYGLOWRANDY may fantasi
ze about Callaway when he jacks off.  He tends to get alot of thoughts when idiots don't give him attention.

Woman sleeping, till I creep down on them.  Rahhh!!!!!!!!!!

Jessica, I miss her
famous piligram John Alden is my direct descendent. physically fit!, wanna hit me yet?, warnning, you may have to acutually walk first! Persuasive creates his own luck has ability & drive to succeed   drink "Diet Dr. Maina" :) "62" orgasms at 1 time Fuck you faggot ass! not wishing Metabolic profile ( insulin metabolism etc) is almost perfect with no psychic meds, so go fuck yourself! semiautonomic controll over tear glands ambedexterous

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1443 on: February 20, 2008, 02:15:14 PM »

Got any suggestions?

My daughter has a hissy fit if she sees a salt shaker on the table and screams, "Sodium Chloride!  That can kill me!"

So I'm not sure that I'm the best one to ask. 

Are the salt crystals your daughter is picking up sodium chloride or magnesium chloride?

Does she care at all that they are dirty?  I mean will she pick up a cookie off the ground and eat it?  If not, it might be a good thing to tell her that they are nasty.

Otherwise, I guess you could tell her about some things that taste good to dogs and cats, like antifreeze, that poison them and how they drink it because it tastes good to them but they don't know how dangerous it is, because they are not smart like she is.

Here is some information for sodium chloride:

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/r?dbs+hsdb:@term+@rn+7647-14-5

Here is some information for magnesium chloride:

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/r?dbs+hsdb:@term+@rn+7786-30-3

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1444 on: February 20, 2008, 02:36:06 PM »

Got any suggestions?

My daughter has a hissy fit if she sees a salt shaker on the table and screams, "Sodium Chloride!  That can kill me!"

Are the salt crystals your daughter is picking up sodium chloride or magnesium chloride?

Does she care at all that they are dirty?  I mean will she pick up a cookie off the ground and eat it?  If not, it might be a good thing to tell her that they are nasty.

Otherwise, I guess you could tell her about some things that taste good to dogs and cats, like antifreeze, that poison them and how they drink it because it tastes good to them but they don't know how dangerous it is, because they are not smart like she is.

They reportedly use chloride salts of magnesium, sodium and potassium on our roads, here, depending on the temperature.

This is a brand new behavior I have discovered in her and I am almost certain it is simply related to her craving for the flavor of salt. I have never seen her pick up anything else, since she was a crawler, and put it into her mouth.

She is very good about washing and not eating after another person, but for some reason this odd thing has just gone right past all her "rules."

I am hoping that there is something to this that I can figure out. I know she thinks that the crystals are very pretty, like jewels, but she doesn't put her dolls' jewelry into her mouth, which is also very pretty and about the same size.

We'll see how day one has gone when she gets here.

???

Hoping it's a fluke. Thanks for the links. Helping her to understand some of that info might have an impact.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 02:38:49 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1445 on: February 20, 2008, 02:46:36 PM »

Got any suggestions?

They reportedly use chloride salts of magnesium, sodium and potassium on our roads, here, depending on the temperature.

This is a brand new behavior I have discovered in her and I am almost certain it is simply related to her craving for the flavor of salt. I have never seen her pick up anything else, since she was a crawler, and put it into her mouth.

She is very good about washing and not eating after another person, but for some reason this odd thing has just gone right past all her "rules."

I am hoping that there is something to this that I can figure out. I know she thinks that the crystals are very pretty, like jewels, but she doesn't put her dolls jewelry into her mouth, which is also very pretty and about the same size.

We'll see how day one has gone when she gets here.

???

Hoping it's a fluke.

Could it be something like pica, I wonder?

If that is what it is, then giving her a daily vitamin and mineral supplement, including iron, might help, like Randy suggested.

Here is something about pica, although for her to actually be diagnosed with pica, this would have to persist over a month even though you try to keep her from doing it.

http://kidshealth.org/parent/nutrition_fit/nutrition/pica.html

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1446 on: February 20, 2008, 03:10:42 PM »
right, i'm buggered if i can get my head round this.

supposedly, there are only 6 (possibly 7) stories to be told, i.e. something like metanarratives (but not).  i can think of the love story, the quest, the rite of passage, and then i go blank.

do you know what i'm getting at?  and if so, any ideas?

(possibly, there's the Fall, and the Faustian pact, too).

my brain hurts.  :(

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1447 on: February 20, 2008, 08:29:44 PM »

supposedly, there are only 6 (possibly 7) stories to be told, i.e. something like metanarratives (but not).  i can think of the love story, the quest, the rite of passage, and then i go blank.

I don't.  Sorry.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #1448 on: February 20, 2008, 08:42:46 PM »
Damn. I was hoping for the answer too. I tried googling it for a few minutes but only turned up one set of seven, and they were self-contradictory crap.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #1449 on: February 20, 2008, 08:56:57 PM »
I guess enlightenment could be one of them them...

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1450 on: February 21, 2008, 12:42:54 AM »

Is it these:

# Cinderella - Unrecognised virtue at last recognised. It's the same story as the Tortoise and the Hare. Cinderella doesn't have to be a girl, nor does it even have to be a love story. What is essential is that the good is despised, but is recognised in the end, something that we all want to believe.

# Achilles - The Fatal Flaw, that is the groundwork for practically all classical tragedy, although it can be made comedy too, as in the old standard Aldwych farce. Lennox Robinson's The Whiteheaded Boy is the Fatal Flaw In reverse.

# Faust- The Debt that Must be Paid, the fate that catches up with all of us sooner or later. This is found in all its purity as the chase in O'Neill's The Emperor Jones. And in a completely different mood, what else is the Cherry Orchard?

# Tristan - that standard triangular plot of two women and one man, or two men and one woman. The Constant Nymph, or almost any French farce.

# Circe - The Spider and the Fly. Othello. The Barretts of Wimpole Street, if you want to change the sex. And if you don't believe me about Othello (the real plot of which is not the triangle and only incidentally jealousy) try casting it with a good Desdemona but a poor Iago.

# Romeo and Juliet - Boy meets Girl, Boy loses Girl, Boy either finds or does not find Girl: it doesn't matter which.

# Orpheus - The Gift taken Away. This may take two forms: either the tragedy of the loss itself, as in Juno and the Paycock, or it may be about the search that follows the loss, as in Jason and the Golden Fleece.

# The Hero Who Cannot Be Kept Down. The best example of this is that splendid play Harvey, made into a film with James Stewart.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1451 on: February 21, 2008, 12:45:56 AM »
I like this take, too:

1. [wo]man vs. nature
   2. [wo]man vs. man
   3. [wo]man vs. the environment
   4. [wo]man vs. machines/technology
   5. [wo]man vs. the supernatural
   6. [wo]man vs. self
   7. [wo]man vs. god/religion

Or this one:

The man vs xxxx plots above would all be summarised as "overcoming the monster".

He gives us, (fogive me for desperately oversimplifying his [his meaning, Christopher Booker in his "Seven Basic
Plots -- why we tell stories"] magnus opus):

1. Overcoming the monster -- defeating some force which threatens...
e.g. most Hollywood movies; Star Wars, James Bond.

2. The Quest -- typically a group setoff in search of something and
(usually) find it. e.g. Watership Down, Pilgrim's Progress.

3. Journey and Return -- the hero journeys away from home to somewhere
different and finally comes back having experienced something and
maybe changed for the better. e.g. Wizard of Oz, Gullivers Travels.

4. Comedy - not neccesarily a funny plot. Some kind of
misunderstanding or ignorance is created that keeps parties apart
which is resolved towards the end bringing them back together. e.g.
Bridget Jones Diary, War and Peace.

5. Tragedy - Someone is tempted in some way, vanity, greed etc and
becomes increasingly desperate or trapped by their actions until at a
climax they usually die. Unless it's a Hollywood movie, when they
escape to a happy ending. e.g. Devils' Advocate, Hamlet.

6. Rebirth - hero is captured or oppressed and seems to be in a state
of living death until it seems all is lost when miraculously they are
freed. e.g. Snow White.

7. Rags to Riches - self explanatory really. e.g. Cinderella &
derivatives (all 27,000 of them)!!!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 12:50:47 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #1452 on: February 21, 2008, 03:01:09 PM »

Got any suggestions?

I see one of piaget's stages of devolpment, the child cannot reason.  Sodium chloride is practically unavoidable,  I remember from my chemisty class, which lots of people had trouble with, in my class, that sodium cannot exsist on its own, something about it exploding.  They put in oil or something, trauma rotted my education, but not alot.  The example I am remembering is that it may know it has a brother, but it cannot get that its mom has a brother and daughter.

How old is your daughter, Callaway?  Sorry I got crazy on you. I am so sorry I went crazy on everyone.  I am noticing with the weight I am loosing, I am feeling better, not worse.  Mom was so worried, but I had to explain somethings about medicine to her, next thing I know, she is patting me on the head.  She herd the magical word, testosterone, manly harmone.  I am not neive, she wants me to have sex, and that means get read as quickly as possible.  Body fat makes aromtase enzyme that turns testosterone into estrogen.  The whole reason I was offered that shoot in that dirty mag was because I exercise so much, but it was back page :laugh:  I noticed improvement in metabolic parameters, equating to better mood.
Sounds like its gonning to get crazier with higher harmone levels.  Back on track, old is your daughter?

Sophgay

« Reply #1453 on: February 21, 2008, 03:06:56 PM »
We once set jelly babies alight and made them explode in chemistry
I am losing weight, but I dunno if I care anymre :D

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1454 on: February 21, 2008, 03:13:32 PM »

Got any suggestions?

I see one of piaget's stages of devolpment, the child cannot reason.  Sodium chloride is practically unavoidable,  I remember from my chemisty class, which lots of people had trouble with, in my class, that sodium cannot exsist on its own, something about it exploding.  They put in oil or something, trauma rotted my education, but not alot.  The example I am remembering is that it may know it has a brother, but it cannot get that its mom has a brother and daughter.

How old is your daughter, Callaway?  Sorry I got crazy on you. I am so sorry I went crazy on everyone.  I am noticing with the weight I am loosing, I am feeling better, not worse.  Mom was so worried, but I had to explain somethings about medicine to her, next thing I know, she is patting me on the head.  She herd the magical word, testosterone, manly harmone.  I am not neive, she wants me to have sex, and that means get read as quickly as possible.  Body fat makes aromtase enzyme that turns testosterone into estrogen.  The whole reason I was offered that shoot in that dirty mag was because I exercise so much, but it was back page :laugh:  I noticed improvement in metabolic parameters, equating to better mood.
Sounds like its gonning to get crazier with higher harmone levels.  Back on track, old is your daughter?

It's OK, Randy.  I understand that you have a few issues, which may be different from the ones I have.

My daughter is 11.  You are probably right that she has a theory of mind issue, which is actually common at least in some form in children who are autistic.

They keep pure sodium under kerosene to prevent it from contacting water.  If you throw a tiny piece of sodium into a swimming pool, it reacts explosively.

I have tried explaining to my daughter that sodium chloride is almost unavoidable in our diets and that in small amounts it is safe and even necessary, but so far that doesn't help.