Educational

Author Topic: Questions for Callaway  (Read 84808 times)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
Re: Questions for Callaway
« Reply #510 on: July 28, 2007, 09:32:42 PM »
callaway, will you please explain the connection to the elderwand and malfoy.  and how did it make harry the rightful owner.  i just couldn't understand what he was saying or how his argument made sense.
Misunderstood.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #511 on: July 28, 2007, 10:08:45 PM »
callaway, will you please explain the connection to the elderwand and malfoy.  and how did it make harry the rightful owner.  i just couldn't understand what he was saying or how his argument made sense.

Do you remember when Dumbledore was disarmed by Draco with an Expelliarmus spell at the same time Dumbledore put a full-body bind on Harry who was under his Invisibility Cloak (Page 584 of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince)?  At that moment, Draco took Dumbledore's wand away from him and became the true master of the Elder wand, because when Snape killed Dumbledore, he was in collusion with Dumbledore, so Snape never defeated him.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #512 on: July 28, 2007, 10:20:58 PM »

Do you remember when Dumbledore was disarmed by Draco with an Expelliarmus spell at the same time Dumbledore put a full-body bind on Harry who was under his Invisibility Cloak (Page 584 of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince)?  At that moment, Draco took Dumbledore's wand away from him and became the true master of the Elder wand, because when Snape killed Dumbledore, he was in collusion with Dumbledore, so Snape never defeated him.

wow.  thanks.  that explains it.

now another potter question.  how did neville pull out the sword of gryffendor when the sword was in the property of that troll.
Misunderstood.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #513 on: July 28, 2007, 10:30:19 PM »

now another potter question.  how did neville pull out the sword of gryffendor when the sword was in the property of that troll.

It wasn't a troll, it was Griphook the goblin, but he was not really the rightful owner of Gryffindor's sword.  It is a magical sword that can come from the Sorting Hat to any Gryffindor in conditions of valor and need.  Remember when Harry showed great loyalty to Dumbledore in the Chamber of Secrets while he was battling Tom Riddle and the Basilisk, and the Sorting Hat, which had been empty, gave Harry the sword of Godric Gryffindor?  That was an example of the condition of need and valor, and Neville Longbottom needed the sword to kill Nagini, the last Horcrux.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #514 on: July 29, 2007, 12:58:08 AM »
Those were really good explanations, thanks. I got it, but it was fuzzy.

What is the story behind your avatar? I really like it.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Eclair

• Official Treat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #515 on: July 29, 2007, 02:40:29 AM »
What's your happiest childhood memory/ies Callaway? 

That is a difficult question, since there are many happy memories.

I remember my dad teaching me to tie my red tennis shoes when I was four, just before we went to get a Christmas tree. 

I remember my mother and I going to get ice cream cones, just the two of us.  She got cherry vanilla and I got chocolate chip.

I remember my aunt taking my brothers' and my pictures when the younger brother was a baby.  He messed his diaper just before she took the picture and my other brother made a face and said, "Ooooh, something stinks."  She snapped the picture right then and it was a very cute face.

I remember visiting my grandparents and my grandmother saying that I was "smart" because I made my bed as soon as I got up.  She spent a month trying to teach me to bake biscuits like hers, but I was a dismal failure at that.  She taught me to quilt, though.

Another time my cousin and I visited her together and I was watching a show on television while she slept in one morning.  As soon as she woke up she changed the channel, but I was not done watching the show yet, so I changed it back.  We wound up in a fight over the TV channel and my grandmother came in and turned off the TV.  She never had us visit together again.   :laugh:

Thank you for sharing those Callaway.  I love those little snapshots the mind takes when one is young. 

And, can't imagine you fighting as a child....fiesty girl!

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #516 on: July 29, 2007, 07:06:47 AM »

It wasn't a troll, it was Griphook the goblin, but he was not really the rightful owner of Gryffindor's sword.  It is a magical sword that can come from the Sorting Hat to any Gryffindor in conditions of valor and need.  Remember when Harry showed great loyalty to Dumbledore in the Chamber of Secrets while he was battling Tom Riddle and the Basilisk, and the Sorting Hat, which had been empty, gave Harry the sword of Godric Gryffindor?  That was an example of the condition of need and valor, and Neville Longbottom needed the sword to kill Nagini, the last Horcrux.

that's what i thought.  but i wasn't sure if it would only happen if the sword was on the grounds of hogwarts.

did you cry while reading the book?

i did, but only when dobey died.
Misunderstood.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #517 on: July 29, 2007, 09:51:31 AM »
i'd be crying if i were reading it.  mainly cos i'd have a gun to my head.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #518 on: July 29, 2007, 09:53:23 AM »
Its a good set of books Lucifer. Even if they are not as alliterative (SPAG) as you would like.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #519 on: July 29, 2007, 09:55:50 AM »
read one and a bit.  died of boredom.  have no reason to read the others, especially as i avoid stuff which is hyped up as much as HP is.  i have no doubt they're great, but they're just not my cup of tea.

what's "alliterative SPAG"?

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #520 on: July 29, 2007, 09:58:24 AM »
read one and a bit.  died of boredom.  have no reason to read the others, especially as i avoid stuff which is hyped up as much as HP is.  i have no doubt they're great, but they're just not my cup of tea.

what's "alliterative SPAG"?
It was me trying to say a word, but not having a clue how its spelt (the Spag bit).
I started reading Potter before it was totally hyped, so i just had to finish off all the books. Also almost everyone else will have read it, so it would make me look a little uncultured not to, especially someone my age.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #521 on: July 29, 2007, 10:01:34 AM »
one of the joys of being older - i don't have to give a fuck about what people think about me, if i can justify myself.

but i've always been like that - was never part of the incrowd, was never likely to be, so i made being different (read "eccentric and outlandish") a lifestyle choice.  gives me a different perspective on things, which comes in useful, and which my students appreciate, cos i rarely (if ever) get caught up in "the emperor's new clothes" nonsense.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #522 on: July 29, 2007, 10:04:22 AM »
one of the joys of being older - i don't have to give a fuck about what people think about me, if i can justify myself.

but i've always been like that - was never part of the incrowd, was never likely to be, so i made being different (read "eccentric and outlandish") a lifestyle choice.  gives me a different perspective on things, which comes in useful, and which my students appreciate, cos i rarely (if ever) get caught up in "the emperor's new clothes" nonsense.
I dont tend to go for universal popularity by fitting in with a crowd, but people do tend to respect my slightly eccentric style. Being seen as a bit of a genius lets me get away with it. As for the emperors new clothes nonsense, i hate it too. I tend to call it pretentiousness, which is often plain boring. I did enjoy reading potter as well.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #523 on: July 29, 2007, 10:13:40 AM »

Did you have a gun to your head when you were reading Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone?

I didn't think so.

:smarty:

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #524 on: July 29, 2007, 10:16:26 AM »

that's what i thought.  but i wasn't sure if it would only happen if the sword was on the grounds of hogwarts.

did you cry while reading the book?

i did, but only when dobey died.

Right now, I can't remember crying while I read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, but I cried like a baby when Sirius Black was killed in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.