Educational

Author Topic: Questions for Callaway  (Read 84823 times)

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Questions for Callaway
« Reply #390 on: July 22, 2007, 08:05:18 AM »
what kind of keyboard isn't a QWERTY keyboard?

I think that it is called a DVORAK keyboard.

It was invented by August Dvorak in the 1930's to have the most commonly used letters on the home row, which leads to less carpal tunnel syndrome for typists and keyboarders.

Edit:  I see Renaeden beat me to it.  Yay, Renaeden!

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #391 on: July 22, 2007, 08:09:25 AM »
callaway, why aren't people ticklish when they touch themselves the same way that others touch them and they are ticklish.

I looked this one up:

http://www.soundmedicine.iu.edu/archive/2001/mystery/tickle.html

Why can't you tickle yourself?

If laughter really is the best medicine, wouldn't it be nice if you could tickle yourself into feeling better? But a touch to even the most sensitive feet, underarms and bellies can't evoke even a smile when the tickle comes from our own hands. Why do we convulse with laughter when someone else lays a finger on us, but are immune to our own touch?

For those of you who spent the break experimenting with today's medical mystery, you can blame your brain for cheating you out of a good laugh.

When someone else tickles us, our somatosensory cortex, the region in our brain that helps interpret external stimuli, signals the rest of the body to react. When we tickle ourselves, however, the somatosensory cortex gets signals from another region of the brain to remain inactive because the touch is coming from our own hands.

The culprit is the cerebellum, an area in the back of the brain responsible for controlling voluntary movement and predicting its consequences. Researchers have found that when subjects attempt to tickle themselves, the cerebellum forecasts what will result from the movement and signals the rest of the brain to ignore the resulting sensation. Some physicians use this knowledge when they examine extremely ticklish patients by having the patients put their own hands over the doctor's to trick the brain into expecting the touch.

Scientists have long believed that tickling evolved in early man as a defense mechanism to alert the body when foreign and potentially dangerous objects were touching it. That helps explain why we're ticklish in our most vulnerable spots, such as the belly, which covers many major organs, and the neck, which houses the vital jugular vein.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #392 on: July 22, 2007, 08:27:55 AM »
i am going to try that.
i am going to have my daughter hold my hand while i try to tickle her.
i am not that ticklish myself.

also, i used to be alot more ticklish when i was younger.  and it seems as if many people lose the ticklish sensation with age.
why?
Misunderstood.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #393 on: July 22, 2007, 09:22:38 AM »
i am going to try that.

also, i used to be alot more ticklish when i was younger.  and it seems as if many people lose the ticklish sensation with age.
why?

I'm not really sure that people do lose the ticklish sensation with age.  My husband is extremely ticklish and always has been.

If they do, it is probably due to decreased sensitivity of nerve endings that deliver ticklish sensations or else it is due to a person learning more self-control as s/he grows up.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #394 on: July 22, 2007, 09:24:07 AM »
i am going to try that.

why?

I'm not really sure that people do lose the ticklish sensation with age.  My husband is extremely ticklish and always has been.

If they do, it is probably due to decreased sensitivity of nerve endings that deliver ticklish sensations or else it is due to a person learning more self-control as s/he grows up.
or nore control over the portion of the brain that controls that reflex.
Misunderstood.

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #395 on: July 22, 2007, 01:08:07 PM »
Does it look like this?

i feel a little ill now. :(
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #396 on: July 22, 2007, 01:11:54 PM »

It was invented by August Dvorak in the 1930's to have the most commonly used letters on the home row, which leads to less carpal tunnel syndrome for typists and keyboarders.

so Dvorak leads to carpal tunnel?
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #397 on: July 22, 2007, 01:17:42 PM »

Dvorak leads to you shagging russians over a bottle of vodka. Be warned Milla...

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #398 on: July 22, 2007, 01:33:21 PM »
i love vodka. i could shag Evgeni.
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #399 on: July 22, 2007, 01:35:09 PM »
i love vodka. i could shag Evgeni.
Whose Evegeni. How long did you make his cucumber?

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #400 on: July 22, 2007, 01:52:20 PM »
Evgeni Plushenko, the world's hottest and greatest figure skater. his cucumber is long and girth-blessed.
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #401 on: July 22, 2007, 02:07:24 PM »
Evgeni Plushenko, the world's hottest and greatest figure skater. his cucumber is long and girth-blessed.
Never heard of him. Are you going to peel back the girth Milla. Who else would you go for?

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #402 on: July 22, 2007, 02:11:07 PM »
Irina Slutskaya. :eyebrows: yum.
~Lord Phlexor

~PPK

~Gkar

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #403 on: July 22, 2007, 02:20:41 PM »
Irina Slutskaya. :eyebrows: yum.
Do you like anyone asides Russians, you do know their life expectancy is under 60 dont you?

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #404 on: July 22, 2007, 02:38:13 PM »

No.  The QWERTY keyboard was designed so that typists were deliberately slowed down to reduce jamming their typewriter keys, so typists have to make more awkward repetitive motions.  QWERTY leads to carpal tunnel.  DVORAK keyboards reduce repetitive motion injuries, like carpal tunnel syndrome.