0 (0%)
France
0 (0%)
Luxembourg
0 (0%)
Austria
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Where do you want to live?  (Read 1887 times)

Offline Jesse

• My mirror shows black (Otherwise known as nigger)
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • where mountains throne
Re: Where do you want to live?
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2023, 09:09:04 AM »
Where's that, Jesse?
Northern California up by the Oregon border.  :nerdy:
:skywarp:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2023, 09:41:05 PM »
Where's that, Jesse?
Northern California up by the Oregon border.  :nerdy:
Sounds ideal. :)
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2023, 10:54:17 PM »
Texas.
USA

I co-own with my brother and my mother forty eight acres of Texas cattle country.
It is from a Civil War era land grant to those hardy and willfull enough to try to make a home there.
My "ancestors" ended up with several hundred acres and the part my brother, my mother and I own is after dividing it all up among eight siblings after my grandfather died in the late '70s.

It is actually still contiguous land since no one has sold outside the family.

My mother has a house on a corner of our part, well kept by some of my cousins and her brothers. Acerages are leased out to them for cattle use.

So, yeah. Hell yeah, I want to live in Texas again!

« Last Edit: March 21, 2023, 07:28:41 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2023, 02:06:49 PM »
I wouldn't mind living in Finland again. It will never happen but I miss it every now and then.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2023, 02:08:10 PM »
OTOH, I'd want to spend the winter months in Spain.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2023, 09:15:46 PM »
Apparently, winter in Spain is much the same as winter in Perth, which I live near. A Mediterranean climate.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2023, 11:20:21 AM »
I like where I live now.  :dunno:
:gopher:

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2023, 09:28:07 PM »
I'm curious, where do you live? No need to be too specific if you don't want to.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2023, 05:59:47 AM »
I'm curious, where do you live? No need to be too specific if you don't want to.

I live in the southern US, but I don't think it's just about that, though I do believe avoiding winter is good for my mental health. The big answer to your question is, I live in suburbia.  :orly: Before living here, I had always lived very rural, and not knowing any different, I assumed it was optimal because that's what a lot of people seem to say they want. I don't think I need to live in an urban setting to know that's not a good fit either. I need a goldy locks level of civilization. :lol1:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2023, 06:05:41 PM »
Sounds about right for me too.

I went from extremely rural growing up (my grandfather butchered livestock on the kitchen table) all the way to suburbia while planning marriage. Spent some time in urban areas of San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, Nashville and went for the suburbs while living in Tennessee.

As much as I would love to re-visit my earlier life and live in my dream home of west Texas again, I doubt that can ever happen while my wife lives.
She is scared of snakes and all she ever focuses on is the notes from my cousins, uncles and aunts and their tales of (badges of honor) eight foot snakes they killed in the barn. She wants no part of that. I grew up with that. It's fine.

Hey, the west is full of snakes and people are stronger. You can deal with it! She just will not even consider my dream of making a home in Texas again.

We have snakes here, but timber rattlers do not even approach the size of a mature diamondback rattler.
So what? Watch where you step! You go digging under something, be prepared to encounter a disturbed colony of rattlers. Fine, carry a stick or a shotgun. Keep a dog with you. You'll be fine.
Snakes won't fool a dog!

Anyway, we bought a new home last year in Indiana suburbia that will be here long after I am gone.

One thing I have not mentioned here or anywhere, was I have been negotiating almost daily for over five months on an additional property here in Indiana.

It is miles away near the National Forest lands. Completely undeveloped "forever" it seems and we plan to use it as a weekend getaway and build a Tiny House as a campsite when we have time to use it.

I had not mentioned this because I did not want to jinx it, but it is ours now! It is 2.3 acres of wild Indiana land.

So I can have a taste of my rural living dream a few days at a time, which is probably all I am up for at my age anyway.
 :lol1:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 06:13:01 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2023, 01:11:01 AM »
I live in the southern US, but I don't think it's just about that, though I do believe avoiding winter is good for my mental health. The big answer to your question is, I live in suburbia.  :orly: Before living here, I had always lived very rural, and not knowing any different, I assumed it was optimal because that's what a lot of people seem to say they want. I don't think I need to live in an urban setting to know that's not a good fit either. I need a goldy locks level of civilization. :lol1:
I thought it was somewhere quite temperate as you never mention snow. ;) And you don't post in the weather thread either so I just had to ask outright. Are your summers getting hotter? We've had record hot summers for the last two years. I would like a nice freezing winter so I can wear my hoodies and jackets.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2023, 03:46:19 PM »
Apparently, winter in Spain is much the same as winter in Perth, which I live near. A Mediterranean climate.

Which is perfect. I do not need snow ever again.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2023, 04:36:24 PM »
I thought it was somewhere quite temperate as you never mention snow. ;) And you don't post in the weather thread either so I just had to ask outright. Are your summers getting hotter? We've had record hot summers for the last two years. I would like a nice freezing winter so I can wear my hoodies and jackets.

Not temperate, technically sub-tropical. I haven't heard of anything spectacular about the weather. I did a quick lookup and read there's a warming trend but we're slightly below the national average. Some years are just different than others. It rains a lot in the summer, but one summer years ago was so dry our palms died. This winter seemed to have more cold days than usual, but not colder than usual. Last summer seemed like one of the quietest storm seasons in years.  :dunno:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 04:43:13 PM by Gopher Gary »

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2023, 01:11:11 AM »
^This summer just gone has been one of the driest on record for us. Normally we have cyclones up north track south and provide us with rain. But the last cyclone actually tracked east and we didn't get a drop. The eastern states got it all. There's another cyclone up north at the moment which I hope is on its way south.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2023, 02:25:15 PM »
^This summer just gone has been one of the driest on record for us. Normally we have cyclones up north track south and provide us with rain. But the last cyclone actually tracked east and we didn't get a drop. The eastern states got it all. There's another cyclone up north at the moment which I hope is on its way south.

Funny how some people still deny climate change, huh?

- Albert Einstein