Educational

Author Topic: Were would we be now?  (Read 828 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Were would we be now?
« on: August 25, 2009, 08:30:27 PM »

So discuss
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Blasted

Re: Were would we be now?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 08:40:20 PM »
Religion sucks.  It's for deluded eejs.  I reckon we would have mastered time travel by now.  Or at least cure for cancer.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 08:42:43 PM »
Posted it on WP to see the reaction here most will agree with me but there I'll have some fun
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 10:10:55 PM »

Link? I want to see them melt down over that.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 10:14:51 PM »

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 10:25:05 PM »

;D

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt106177.html

Figures, they are way too serious business about it.

But it's true, Religions like that impeded scientific progress because it threatened the ideology. The religious leaders didn't want the facts revealed, because it would have dismantled the belief system, and then they would have lost their power and wealth over the masses.

But then if only they knew the potential power of technology back then, and how to use it as a stealth weapon of propaganda and social manipulation.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 10:32:40 PM by Singularity »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 10:28:36 PM »

;D

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt106177.html

Typical discussion on religion;  a lot of talking, but no one listening.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 10:43:51 PM »
But that's Wankplanet all over, isn't it......

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 10:46:21 PM »
But that's Wankplanet all over, isn't it......

I love the irony though, the AS fanatics on WP will say that Aspies can manage the world better, and yet they bicker on exactly like NTs when it comes to controversial issues.  :zoinks:
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 11:24:19 PM »
I've always thought of religion as the ultimate means of controling a society.

People don't fear weapons or technology as much as they fear the unknown/death. So tell them something to alleviate their fears and you gain their trust and obedience.

Seeing has always been believing for me. If I don't have tangible proof, I find something very hard to grasp.

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 12:11:06 AM »
Why fear death?

I find the idea of having no conception of existence and time a rather comforting thought. It's the idea of being trapped forever at my current identity right now that would be hell for me. When I die, I want to cease to be until maybe after a few quadrillion years and come back, reborn as something completely different in a reborn universe, with no memories of my past existences.

The time frame is optional, doesn't matter if that happens after a shorter or longer period, I'm dead, I wouldn't conceive time.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 12:16:42 AM by Singularity »

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 12:23:51 AM »
Why fear death?

I find the idea of having no conception of existence and time a rather comforting thought. It's the idea of being trapped forever at my current identity right now that would be hell for me. When I die, I want to cease to be until maybe after a few quadrillion years, and come back as something completely different in a reborn universe, with no memories of my past existences.

The timeframe is optional, but still, the idea of being refreshed every life time is nice.

Reincarnation. As you say, why fear what is inevitable? You can't avoid death, and will eventually have to face it sooner or later. Christainity and their afterlife are bollocks, becuase the Christians put a price on what is likely to happen if you take certain steps (well, so do pagans, but we aren't so worried about the ramifications as they are - to us there is no heaven or hell). But if you've already accepted the consequences of death, then there is no point worrying.

Anyway, the best quote I've heard on it all was from 'Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life'; which is, 'you come from nothing and you're going back to nothing, so what have you lost? Nothing'.

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 08:32:55 AM »

Anyway, the best quote I've heard on it all was from 'Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life'; which is, 'you come from nothing and you're going back to nothing, so what have you lost? Nothing'.

"Life's a piece of shit, when you look at it."

TheoK

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 04:08:17 AM »
Religion sucks.  It's for deluded eejs.  I reckon we would have mastered time travel by now.  Or at least cure for cancer.

Cure for cancer most certainly. Time travel might not be physically possible but we would probably have had tourist trips to the planets in our own solar system.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 02:28:20 PM »
They'd be able to fix my eyes.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein