Author Topic: Why I feel guilty when I watch CNN  (Read 196 times)

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Why I feel guilty when I watch CNN
« on: August 06, 2009, 10:49:54 PM »

So a soldier form my home town (small town USA) came home last week. In a box. This kid was 20 years old.
It's been on my mind about every moment since.
I don't give two shits if you approve of the war or not, fact is we're there.
Before this happened, I had been contemplating going back in the military. I can't sit here and let these young kids die.
I feel like I need to go so they don't have to. This kid could have had a wife, kids, a life. Instead he's dead.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Why I feel guilty when I watch CNN
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 11:01:25 PM »
You going is not going to stop them from going, though.

Blasted

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 11:02:40 PM »
Whenever I read about a young death anywhere I feel the same way  :(  You getting involved won't stop young people getting killed ebm, even though I know it must suck to feel helpless like that  :-\  Shit will always happen, people will always die no matter how hard we'll try to stop it.  At least you can take comfort from the fact that he died trying to make a difference.

Offline jman

• Road warrior pimpdaddy of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 11:06:55 PM »

So a soldier form my home town (small town USA) came home last week. In a box. This kid was 20 years old.
Before this happened, I had been contemplating going back in the military. I can't sit here and let these young kids die.
I feel like I need to go so they don't have to. This kid could have had a wife, kids, a life. Instead he's dead.

Why should you feel guilty?

The guy made a decision to join the military knowing full well what the potential risks are.

Now before I say anything, in my opinion our brave soldiers deserve nothing but respect and I have great gratitude for their service to our country. However the cold hard truth is he must face death and forego the opportunity to have a future, he sacrificed his life for his country which is very honorable, BTW

Callaway is right, you going over to Iraq is not going to stop other kids from enlisting and going over there.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 11:08:54 PM by jman »

P7PSP

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 11:13:22 PM »

I was 42 when the Islamoscum nailed us on 9/11/01. Being too long in the tooth is what kept me from going back in. There are worse ways to go than fighting scum. Before you get too serious you should objectively assess your physical condition. I'm stronger but slower and I'd have to work at it harder to do the runs, but you are quite a few years younger than I am. I have a couple of cousins in and a nephew who wants to go in as a Combat Engineer but he may be reconsidering.

TheoK

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 01:04:39 AM »
Respect to the young man.  :(

There are quite a few cowardly pacifists spitting on the US for fighting the towelhead madmans, but they can go to hell for all I care.  :thumbdn: