Author Topic: What do you take when you have a hangover?  (Read 1213 times)

TheoK

What do you take when you have a hangover?
« on: August 06, 2009, 12:16:13 AM »
I take and .

It has the same effect as two Excedrins.  :zoinks:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: What do you take when you have a hangover?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 12:50:39 AM »
Lots of liquid and an Ibumetin (that's Ibuprofen). You might want to start before going to bed. :laugh:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Blasted

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 12:59:23 AM »
Drink tons of water and try to sleep it off.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 05:04:57 AM »
I take preventive measures by eating bread or crackers before or as I drink. Also staying well hydrated helps me out too.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 05:07:30 AM by Singularity »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 05:13:11 AM »
I have never had a hangover, but I have heard that they happen partly because you become dehydrated because the alcohol acts as a diuretic, so drinking a lot of water or something like a sports drink to also replace electrolytes before you go to bed should help prevent one.  That is what I have done on the rare occasions when I have had more to drink than I should have.

Also, I think there is something in the darker colored alcoholic drinks (red wine instead of white, bourbon or rum instead of vodka, etc.) that makes hangovers more likely.

The problem with Excedrin is that it contains aspirin, which could further upset your already upset stomach; acetominophen, which could cause liver damage if taken with alcohol or if you are a heavy drinker, (more than three drinks a day); and caffeine, which will increase dehydration.

I think that Ibuprofen is a somewhat safer choice.

TheoK

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 05:19:52 AM »
It wasn't an alcohol hangover. ;)

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 07:30:32 AM »
Lots of water, regardless, it will flush out your system.
Paracetamol and Aspirin.
Plus this stuff (berocca), its got vitamins and shit, lots of B vitamins.

Oh and sleeping it off also helps.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 09:11:21 AM »
I have never had a hangover, but I have heard that they happen partly because you become dehydrated because the alcohol acts as a diuretic, so drinking a lot of water or something like a sports drink to also replace electrolytes before you go to bed should help prevent one.  That is what I have done on the rare occasions when I have had more to drink than I should have.

Also, I think there is something in the darker colored alcoholic drinks (red wine instead of white, bourbon or rum instead of vodka, etc.) that makes hangovers more likely.

The problem with Excedrin is that it contains aspirin, which could further upset your already upset stomach; acetominophen, which could cause liver damage if taken with alcohol or if you are a heavy drinker, (more than three drinks a day); and caffeine, which will increase dehydration.

Ibuprofen is not safe either on the stomach front - extended use can give you stomach ulcers easily.

Offline zer0

• Constant Poster
  • The Great Korvhund-o
    • Bento & Starchky dot com
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 10:20:21 AM »
Den som läser detta är dum.

Blasted

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 10:22:08 AM »
Smirnoff is a shit vodka  :laugh:

TheoK

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 11:06:06 AM »
I have vodka too but not Smirnoff.  8)

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 11:45:41 AM »
If you're gonna go with vodka, have a couple of doubleshots of stoli.

Also drink a whole bunch of water, and eat a gigantic cheeseburger. You'll feel like a million bucks by mid afternoon.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline zer0

• Constant Poster
  • The Great Korvhund-o
    • Bento & Starchky dot com
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 12:39:14 PM »

Also drink a whole bunch of water, and eat a gigantic cheeseburger. You'll feel like a million bucks by mid afternoon.

Actually, I hardly ever get hangovers. I guess that stems from how I'm drunk like every two days or so. Sometimes even more often. I guess the body adjusts after a while.

When I do get hangovers, it is almost exclusively from hard alcohol. Beer hardly affects me at all. Not even fortified beer with an alcohol content of 7.2%.
Den som läser detta är dum.

TheoK

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 12:57:07 PM »

Actually, I hardly ever get hangovers. I guess that stems from how I'm drunk like every two days or so. Sometimes even more often. I guess the body adjusts after a while.

When I do get hangovers, it is almost exclusively from hard alcohol. Beer hardly affects me at all. Not even fortified beer with an alcohol content of 7.2%.

Your drinking is in the same class as grandpa Lit's, i.e. BRAVE!  :agreed:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 03:03:30 PM »

Ibuprofen is not safe either on the stomach front - extended use can give you stomach ulcers easily.

True but if you need to use it against hangovers THAT often, you will experience other and more serious health problems.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein