Author Topic: Sayings you hate  (Read 11460 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Sayings you hate
« Reply #345 on: December 15, 2018, 05:01:54 PM »
I heard a DJ use the word "Chrismo" (for Xmas) on the radio this morning. In Sydney. At the opposite side of the country to Ren.

It's a thing now, apparently.

DJs are like sports journalists. No respect for the language.  :odeon:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #346 on: December 15, 2018, 09:25:03 PM »
I hate the saying "thanks for sharing." I immediately roll my eyes and won't respond.
Have said that many times here, in response to people sharing art, music, and poetry, because sharing is what they're doing. It's a brave thing to do. Why does it make your eyes roll?
I'm not sure. It's about the phrasing. I feel like "thanks for sharing" sounds flippant. But if someone were to say "I'm glad you shared that" it doesn't bother me at all.  :dunno: I don't know. It doesn't make much sense really.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #347 on: December 15, 2018, 10:10:56 PM »
I hate the saying "thanks for sharing." I immediately roll my eyes and won't respond.
Have said that many times here, in response to people sharing art, music, and poetry, because sharing is what they're doing. It's a brave thing to do. Why does it make your eyes roll?
I'm not sure. It's about the phrasing. I feel like "thanks for sharing" sounds flippant. But if someone were to say "I'm glad you shared that" it doesn't bother me at all.  :dunno: I don't know. It doesn't make much sense really.
Can only think of ever using the phrase to thank people who are presenting some sort of creativity. The sharing seems much more important than how it fits personal taste, so try to avoid opinions. It's the reason why it's possible enjoy any performance, and can stare for an hour at a piece of art without any desire to own it. Thanks for offering an alternative phrasing, even though it requires a pronoun. I'm glad you shared that. :laugh:

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #348 on: December 16, 2018, 08:07:25 AM »
Can only think of ever using the phrase to thank people who are presenting some sort of creativity. The sharing seems much more important than how it fits personal taste, so try to avoid opinions. It's the reason why it's possible enjoy any performance, and can stare for an hour at a piece of art without any desire to own it. Thanks for offering an alternative phrasing, even though it requires a pronoun. I'm glad you shared that. :laugh:
Well obviously you can say it however it suits you best and I promise I won't roll my eyes when it comes from you because now this whole exchange has made me laugh :laugh:
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #349 on: December 16, 2018, 07:04:07 PM »
Well obviously you can say it however it suits you best and I promise I won't roll my eyes when it comes from you because now this whole exchange has made me laugh :laugh:
No, it's good to know it might be misinterpreted, especially online with the absence of tone of voice.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #350 on: December 16, 2018, 07:18:55 PM »
When in doubt, Urban Dictionary often points you in the right direction. Here is the top definition of "thanks for sharing" at Urban Dictionay:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=thanks%20for%20sharing

But it is about tone of voice and context as much as anything else. I've never had the impression that Jack meant the expression in the "Urban Dictionary" sense. But, even so, whenever I see someone like Jack say it online, I do a quick retake on whatever they are referring to just in case I missed something gross or inappropriate.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #351 on: December 16, 2018, 07:26:56 PM »
I'm glad you shared that too. :laugh:

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #352 on: December 16, 2018, 10:28:55 PM »
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #353 on: December 17, 2018, 07:12:43 AM »
I'm glad you shared that too. :laugh:
:asthing:

:spitscreen:
Just read the Urban Dictionary version and it's quite true. It made me laugh thought because therapists DO say it all the time in group therapy and yet I absolutely refuse to with my groups.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #354 on: December 17, 2018, 08:24:30 AM »
BWAHAHAHAHA,

That sentence does not trigger me, but then English is not my first language.

Equivalents; "Wil je er over praten" (Want to talk about it?) have become bastardised in Dutch, for a similar reason. Becomes something like :"Wil je er over praten? Zingen?  kleien mag ook." (Want to talk about it? Sing? Working with clay is also OK.)

Lately there is this sentence: "Ik zie kansen!!!" (I see opportunities!!!) And then I tend to answer "Jij hebt veel teveel therapie gehad." (You've had way too much therapy)
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #355 on: December 18, 2018, 04:30:08 PM »
"Diversity is our strength".

It's Orwellian double-speak.

Just how is it that a Balkanized, divided society is stronger than one that is culturally united??   :dunno:

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #356 on: December 18, 2018, 09:24:55 PM »
Or how the composite bow managed its extreme projectile power....

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #357 on: December 18, 2018, 10:35:29 PM »
Or how the composite bow managed its extreme projectile power....
Great analogy!

I went bow hunting, successfully, for the very first time just a few years ago, with my bro-in-law who has been doing so for over forty years.
I had only used a bow three times in my life before that time and even though I had a few chances, I had never even taken a shot at game. We had been practicing. I was still not comfortable on day one.
Then he had me go from our tree stand at nothing alive a few times and I was hitting consistently. He helped me gain confidence. It took some doing, but between my one and his two, but we put over four hundred pounds of venison in the freezers that winter.

The compound bow is definitely the way to go, if you want to do things with a bow.

The reason I mention this is that another style is going on right now. We only have six days left of muzzle loader deer season and we have not yet been able to hook up and go get this done.

I have a .54 caliber thirty two inch barrel Hawkin style, cap fired muzzle loading rifle, made by Thompson, that I have had for many years. I have never taken game with it. I have only shot some half decent groups at a hundred yards and I know I can hit what I shoot at as long as it is fairly close.

It seems like Thursday might be the day, if at all this year.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #358 on: December 18, 2018, 10:39:37 PM »

Saying I am so tired of hearing ...

24/7  or worse   24/7/365

They still use this in commercials and advertising.

:puke:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #359 on: December 18, 2018, 11:08:09 PM »
Found a couple of holes in our back fence. Since our back fence is made from colourbonded metal sheeting, it wasn't like a kid poked his finger through it.

They looked almost like bullet holes, but a little too tidy. And I never considered that a neighbour in our area would be silly enough to go shooting holes in the fence with a silenced firearm.

Then we found the arrows. Real serious looking arrows too, with metal heads on them. Most of the "feathers" on the tails had been stripped off as they punched through the fence. One was embedded in a palm tree.

Had to be a compound bow.

I hope he isn't one of the pricks who has been shooting deer in the area with compound bows. People in our area have had deer wander out of the bush and die on their front lawns. Deer are not native and the government culls them anyway, but still not an activity I support in our neighbourhood.