Educational

Author Topic: Sayings you hate  (Read 10733 times)

Online DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Sayings you hate
« Reply #285 on: October 26, 2018, 02:33:29 PM »

Another one I am totally over and done with hearing:

(insert your own personal idiotic nonsense)  is the new black!

Thar ain't no new blakk dammmit!
 :autism:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #286 on: October 26, 2018, 05:22:23 PM »
A guy at work, Lebanese background but more Aussie than most of us anglo-saxon/Irish Aussies (including myself), spent months using the expression "hey, that's mickey mouse!". Because it's Australian rhyming slang for "grouse", which means "fantastic".

What he didn't realize is that his multi-cultural colleagues all thought he was saying that what they were doing was trivial, fake, etc. when in fact he was praisng their work.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Online DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #287 on: October 30, 2018, 08:07:28 AM »

How did we get to twenty pages?

:tard:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #288 on: October 30, 2018, 10:25:08 AM »
Here's your bill.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #289 on: October 30, 2018, 03:49:49 PM »

How did we get to twenty pages?

:tard:
There's a few pages of pedantic discussion over the word program

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #290 on: November 05, 2018, 04:06:49 AM »
Some wanker on a Facebook video was pontificating about how much of our lives we spend working and how few people enjoy their jobs. And his fucking stupid advice was:

"if you don't love your job you should quit and do something else!".

On the basis that we are setting a bad example for our kids. Sure, don't teach your kids to be responsible adults. They should follow your example and quit stuff they don't love as well. Don't love school? Quit and play video games all fucking day.

I have heard variations on this a few times over the years. The reality for most of us is that there are a limited number of things we are good enough at that someone will pay us a decent amount of money to do.

It's fucking stupid wankarama.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #291 on: November 05, 2018, 11:15:20 AM »
"There's no oyster dressing." (At Thanksgiving.)
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #292 on: November 05, 2018, 11:35:40 AM »
Some wanker on a Facebook video was pontificating about how much of our lives we spend working and how few people enjoy their jobs. And his fucking stupid advice was:

"if you don't love your job you should quit and do something else!".

On the basis that we are setting a bad example for our kids. Sure, don't teach your kids to be responsible adults. They should follow your example and quit stuff they don't love as well. Don't love school? Quit and play video games all fucking day.

I have heard variations on this a few times over the years. The reality for most of us is that there are a limited number of things we are good enough at that someone will pay us a decent amount of money to do.

It's fucking stupid wankarama.

Lots of variations on that one. The problem is, kids are buying into it. There's a special Swedish phrase for it, "skoltrött", which translates to something like "school-tired" and is mostly an excuse for not pursuing your studies right after after that oh-so-trying high school.

Do you remember "Back to the Future" and Mr Strickland, the teacher that called Marty a slacker? That's me now.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #293 on: November 05, 2018, 12:08:01 PM »
It's not like there are enough meaningful jobs anyhow. And way too many people.

This might be the generation that actually acts on that - one way or another.
Slacking is one solution. Mass reduction of the population would be better though, I think.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #294 on: November 07, 2018, 11:23:39 PM »
It's not like there are enough meaningful jobs anyhow.

Thank goodness I don't want to do anything meaningful.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #295 on: November 08, 2018, 12:27:08 AM »
Plenty of (e-)paper pushing. And things that could easily be replaced by a machine,
even if they are useful.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #296 on: November 08, 2018, 01:35:41 AM »
Lots of variations on that one. The problem is, kids are buying into it. There's a special Swedish phrase for it, "skoltrött", which translates to something like "school-tired" and is mostly an excuse for not pursuing your studies right after after that oh-so-trying high school.

Do you remember "Back to the Future" and Mr Strickland, the teacher that called Marty a slacker? That's me now.

A gap year after high school is one of the best things kids can do. I would strongly encourage my kids to do that, as long as they don't just spend a year playing video games. Go backpacking, go work on a farm, work in a bar, something like that. Something they want to do while they are young and may never get around to doing later.

What I find amusing on my travels is the faux backpackers. Kids in hiking boots and carrying big backpacks who are actually staying in nice hotels because their parents are paying for it. But even that is a good thing, those kids are getting out and seeing the world and expanding their minds. Still I think it would be better and more fun for kids trying to do it on a shoestring budget, travelling around Asia and eating street food and staying in hostels.

The problem isn't just that kids are buying into it. This wanker was making his pitch at adults and judging by the number of times it was getting shared.... a lot of stupid adults are buying into it as well. A change of career is something to be planned and considered at great length. Risks need to be weighed. Skills and experience need to be assessed. Even then it is a massive risk, especially if you are in the sort of career where you can't simply walk back in a couple of years later, up to your eyeballs in debt and with a second mortgage on your house, and pick up where you left off.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #297 on: November 27, 2018, 08:17:33 PM »
Janky. It's not a real word, my Kindle doesn't recognise it. But I've heard it and seen it written a few times now.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #298 on: November 27, 2018, 08:37:19 PM »
Janky. It's not a real word, my Kindle doesn't recognise it. But I've heard it and seen it written a few times now.

I sort of like that one. It seems to be replacing the use of ghetto.  :orly:

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #299 on: November 27, 2018, 08:45:28 PM »
I don't like it when someone says, who ate all... When we were first together, Sugarbutt once said who ate all.. I told him not to say that because my dad used to do it, and it drove me nuts. I never wanted to eat the last of anything whenever he was around. He'd open the fridge and belch out, who ate all the cheese? It didn't matter if he's the one who ate the other 90% of the cheese, nope I had eaten all the cheese because I ate the last of the cheese. NO ONE ATE ALL THE CHEESE! Sugarbutt thinks it's hilarious this bothers me so much, and has been delighted for many years asking me who ate all of something.  :lol1: