Author Topic: Sayings you hate  (Read 10739 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Sayings you hate
« Reply #240 on: October 13, 2018, 09:56:23 PM »
I've heard "a change is as good as a holiday"

And no, that isn't either.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #241 on: October 13, 2018, 10:08:12 PM »
Some info about "a change is as good as a rest" here:

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/196489/did-sir-arthur-conan-doyle-coin-the-proverb-a-change-is-as-good-as-a-rest

Like Ren, I have only ever heard "a change is as good as a holiday" prior to reading "a change is as good as a rest" in this thread. Must be a Strayan thing.

A change can be refreshing, depending on the nature of the change. Some changes can be exhausting.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Grey Area

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #242 on: October 13, 2018, 11:25:47 PM »
Meteoric rise
There are no atheists when the toilet water is rising.
:GA:  :trollskull: 

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #243 on: October 13, 2018, 11:35:38 PM »
People using "penultimate" as a hyperbolic form of "ultimate".
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #244 on: October 14, 2018, 03:16:45 AM »
Over here, I heard "application"  used more often than a program. You had to open your program (operating system) and "launch" your application within "Workgroups."  At least that was the language most commonly use.
Thought there are system programs and application programs, so essentially they're all programs and applications simply aren't system specific. Maybe Odeon can clarify.

Most system apps are just apps used by the system. There's not much of a distinction, usually, except that system apps may not have a user interface and so no means for a user to access them directly.

The OS is really also an app - actually a series of apps - acting on top of a BIOS and various firmware. And you could regard drivers as system apps, but again, the distinction is blurred.

Oh, and "workgroups" brings back memories. :P
That seems to negate Calandale's definition of an application, that an app is a program with a UI. So then what's the distinction between an application and a program, or is there any real difference?

IMHO, there is no real difference. Calling things "apps" is just the hip thing to do these days. I'm not aware of any formal attempt at distinguishing between the two.

We used to call software "programs", both those with an UI and those without, long before the term "app" was in widespread use.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #245 on: October 14, 2018, 03:17:24 AM »
People using "penultimate" as a hyperbolic form of "ultimate".

Hadn't heard thins one.  :zombiefuck:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #246 on: October 14, 2018, 05:42:13 AM »
Over here, I heard "application"  used more often than a program. You had to open your program (operating system) and "launch" your application within "Workgroups."  At least that was the language most commonly use.
Thought there are system programs and application programs, so essentially they're all programs and applications simply aren't system specific. Maybe Odeon can clarify.

Most system apps are just apps used by the system. There's not much of a distinction, usually, except that system apps may not have a user interface and so no means for a user to access them directly.

The OS is really also an app - actually a series of apps - acting on top of a BIOS and various firmware. And you could regard drivers as system apps, but again, the distinction is blurred.

Oh, and "workgroups" brings back memories. :P
That seems to negate Calandale's definition of an application, that an app is a program with a UI. So then what's the distinction between an application and a program, or is there any real difference?

IMHO, there is no real difference. Calling things "apps" is just the hip thing to do these days. I'm not aware of any formal attempt at distinguishing between the two.

We used to call software "programs", both those with an UI and those without, long before the term "app" was in widespread use.
Thanks.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #247 on: October 14, 2018, 10:24:32 AM »
Quite. No need to nitpick and assign values on  microscale range to it. Its a fucking program, software, no need for this nauseating 'app' shyte.

And agree on 'meteoric rise'....since when did meteors take off from the soil and fly upwards. They fall, not bloody rise. Whoever came up with that...bet it's a politician? sounds like politician bollockspeak to me, just has that odious slimy feel to it, if that makes sense.

And on that note, politician shitspeak. EWW. I just despise it, it turns my stomach and makes me want to grab a brick and throw it in a wide-open hot air ven...ahem...mouth, belonging to one of that repugnant breed

Also, to quote, 'most system apps are just apps used by the system'

Add that to the flying brick list :P System apps, being used by the OS? really? I am absolutely gobsmacked.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #248 on: October 14, 2018, 12:27:03 PM »
Calling things "apps" is just the hip thing to do these days.
Thinking more about this. Is it just hip, though? Would you say the current use of app refers to applications which are tailored to hand held devices?

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #249 on: October 14, 2018, 02:13:23 PM »
Thinking more about this. Is it just hip, though? Would you say the current use of app refers to applications which are tailored to hand held devices?

Not when Microsoft decides that every program you might run on W10 is an 'app' - regardless of whether it's
unusable on a phone.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #250 on: October 14, 2018, 07:17:37 PM »

Not when Microsoft decides that every program you might run on W10 is an 'app' - regardless of whether it's
unusable on a phone.
:laugh:

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #251 on: October 14, 2018, 10:56:25 PM »
"App" is a very loose definition that is obviously evolving over time. Like I pointed out before, "application" had a very different meaning when I started out in IT. But then again (dad joke alert) I used to ride a dinosaur to work.

It's a word that people find useful even if the exact meaning is difficult to nail down. It's generally only when you're neurologically predisposed to be annoyed by loose definitions that it becomes a problem.

At my previous job we used to work on apps, release apps to the app store, stuff like that all the time. Nobody every had any problem with knowing what an app was vs what a batch program or a fix job was. The subject of the meaning of those words never even came up.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #252 on: October 14, 2018, 11:57:54 PM »
Calling things "apps" is just the hip thing to do these days.

No, I think it's about taking advantage of the fact that programs on mobile devices are called apps - the big change is that you now have an "app store" on the desktop, too. It's about marketing, about the desktop fighting for relevance in an age when the younger generations do everything on their mobiles.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #253 on: October 14, 2018, 11:59:30 PM »

unusable on a phone.

Read this after posting my reply. Yup, this is absolutely correct.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #254 on: October 15, 2018, 12:01:09 AM »
Oh, and one more thing: various Linux distros now also use the term for their software but they've had the equivalent of an app store pretty much since they were first conceived.

- Albert Einstein