Author Topic: Sayings you hate  (Read 10799 times)

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
Re: Sayings you hate
« Reply #225 on: October 11, 2018, 04:45:15 PM »
You brought up a good point about heart monitors, and they also don't need an OS, so still thinking system dependent is a good distinction, though a distinction to be combined with UI.

Yeah, you would need some sort of basis like an OS to call something an application.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #226 on: October 11, 2018, 05:09:26 PM »
I like Cal's definition of app in the modern sense, it is simple and to the point, but it is open to pedantry. So if it is going to get picked apart maybe it needs to be more specific?

Would it be fair to say that an app is a program (or software) that a user consciously interacts with in real time, via a user interface?

For example the software that I work on has a batch process that automatically kicks off around midnight. People set parameters and create inputs for the batch process and then they go home at the end of the working day. And then in the morning people come into work and look at reports and queues and stuff. Those reports and queues are interfaces of a sort, but they are not real time. That batch process isn't an app.

A heart monitor isn't an app because the user doesn't consciously interact with it in real time.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #227 on: October 11, 2018, 07:07:01 PM »
Why does it have to be in real time? Also work with applications which have scheduled file runs based on daily end user request; there's no doubt they're applications. The lack of instant gratification for the output is just part of the programming.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #228 on: October 11, 2018, 07:15:06 PM »
Hmm...are they? Or is the program to write the script which kicks them off the application?

:wolfie:

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #229 on: October 11, 2018, 07:26:08 PM »
"Here's that"

Every dumbass millennial and Gen Z'er who works fast food drive thru's don't know how to fucking talk to customers.

They hand me my change.
"Here's that"

They hand me my drink
"here's that"

They hand me my food
"here's that"

:grrr:      :grrr:      :grrr:      :grrr:      :grrr:

How about:

Here's your change, $1.27

Here's your small Coke with no ice

And here's your #5 combo with curly fries.

What the fuck is so difficult about that??

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #230 on: October 11, 2018, 07:43:39 PM »
Hmm...are they? Or is the program to write the script which kicks them off the application?

Don't think automated functions discount anything as an application. Even outlook gives me a pop-up reminder for my meetings. That's an automated job based on my input, even though it may have been input from months ago.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #231 on: October 11, 2018, 07:45:03 PM »
"Here's that"
Have never experienced that. Maybe it's regional.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #232 on: October 11, 2018, 10:59:37 PM »
"Here's that"

Every dumbass millennial and Gen Z'er who works fast food drive thru's don't know how to fucking talk to customers.

They hand me my change.
"Here's that"

They hand me my drink
"here's that"

They hand me my food
"here's that"

:grrr:      :grrr:      :grrr:      :grrr:      :grrr:

How about:

Here's your change, $1.27

Here's your small Coke with no ice

And here's your #5 combo with curly fries.

What the fuck is so difficult about that??

How about: 'What the fuck is so difficult about not using pronouns when referring to things?"

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #233 on: October 11, 2018, 11:01:36 PM »

Don't think automated functions discount anything as an application. Even outlook gives me a pop-up reminder for my meetings. That's an automated job based on my input, even though it may have been input from months ago.

That's functionality WITHIN an application though. No one is saying that applications cannot contain components which wouldn't
qualify as applications themselves. Like, if a C application requires a garbage collector.

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #234 on: October 12, 2018, 05:14:15 AM »

That's functionality WITHIN an application though. No one is saying that applications cannot contain components which wouldn't
qualify as applications themselves. Like, if a C application requires a garbage collector.
May have misunderstood, but thought MOSW was saying that. Of course the programming within applications are programs. The issue isn't really identifying what is an application, but rather that system programs don't have their own term. It's like we're talking about two pieces of fruit; one is called an apple and the other is called a fruit.

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #235 on: October 12, 2018, 09:56:03 AM »

May have misunderstood, but thought MOSW was saying that. Of course the programming within applications are programs. The issue isn't really identifying what is an application, but rather that system programs don't have their own term. It's like we're talking about two pieces of fruit; one is called an apple and the other is called a fruit.
[/quote]

Yes - but read that 'fruit' as non-apple fruit. Because there are a number of different programs (system and not) which comprise the set of non-application programs. Drivers, services, daemons....

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #236 on: October 12, 2018, 11:17:31 AM »

They probably have an app for that.
 :autism:

*groan*
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #237 on: October 12, 2018, 11:25:40 AM »
Over here, I heard "application"  used more often than a program. You had to open your program (operating system) and "launch" your application within "Workgroups."  At least that was the language most commonly use.
Thought there are system programs and application programs, so essentially they're all programs and applications simply aren't system specific. Maybe Odeon can clarify.

Most system apps are just apps used by the system. There's not much of a distinction, usually, except that system apps may not have a user interface and so no means for a user to access them directly.

The OS is really also an app - actually a series of apps - acting on top of a BIOS and various firmware. And you could regard drivers as system apps, but again, the distinction is blurred.

Oh, and "workgroups" brings back memories. :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #238 on: October 12, 2018, 03:57:59 PM »
Over here, I heard "application"  used more often than a program. You had to open your program (operating system) and "launch" your application within "Workgroups."  At least that was the language most commonly use.
Thought there are system programs and application programs, so essentially they're all programs and applications simply aren't system specific. Maybe Odeon can clarify.

Most system apps are just apps used by the system. There's not much of a distinction, usually, except that system apps may not have a user interface and so no means for a user to access them directly.

The OS is really also an app - actually a series of apps - acting on top of a BIOS and various firmware. And you could regard drivers as system apps, but again, the distinction is blurred.

Oh, and "workgroups" brings back memories. :P
That seems to negate Calandale's definition of an application, that an app is a program with a UI. So then what's the distinction between an application and a program, or is there any real difference?

Offline Grey Area

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #239 on: October 12, 2018, 11:17:12 PM »
"A change is as good as a rest"

No it isn't.
There are no atheists when the toilet water is rising.
:GA:  :trollskull: