Educational

Author Topic: Alex Plank is getting sued...  (Read 8965 times)

The_Chosen_One

Re: Alex Plank is getting sued...
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2009, 09:41:21 AM »
We need somebody to keep it real.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009, 09:43:15 AM »
Was this the result of somebody quoting an article in a thread?

I just glanced over the PDF the other day but didn't have much time to study it in detail.

Pretty much you have it in one.

Okay, inter-forum politics and bad blood aside, that's just crap.  Sure, there's plagarism, but IMO, someone quoting another site's article in part or in whole for purposes of discussion, should be regarded the same as if people were in a room discussing it out loud and not creating a written record in the process.  As much as I'd like to discuss articles in a room full of people of similar walks of life, we all live thousands of miles apart and that's just not possible.

Media outlets could use that tactic on a regular basis to control what people en masse think.  Just intimidate potential critics with legal threats (real or bogus), and nobody will argue with you.  (Nobody who wants to be financially stable, that is.)

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2009, 09:48:38 AM »
Was this the result of somebody quoting an article in a thread?

I just glanced over the PDF the other day but didn't have much time to study it in detail.

Pretty much you have it in one.

Okay, inter-forum politics and bad blood aside, that's just crap.  Sure, there's plagarism, but IMO, someone quoting another site's article in part or in whole for purposes of discussion, should be regarded the same as if people were in a room discussing it out loud and not creating a written record in the process.  As much as I'd like to discuss articles in a room full of people of similar walks of life, we all live thousands of miles apart and that's just not possible.

Media outlets could use that tactic on a regular basis to control what people en masse think.  Just intimidate potential critics with legal threats (real or bogus), and nobody will argue with you.  (Nobody who wants to be financially stable, that is.)

Its the fact that they pasted over 50% of his "article" on there or something, technically it was illegal, but suing Plank for it is just hilarious.

Offline Pissgai

• King of The Damned
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • Button Pusher
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2009, 09:52:27 AM »
He deserves it for fucking over my friends here who used to be his loyal staff.

I hope that site closes too.
I'm here to fuck you up. :P

Member of the Triumvirate.

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2009, 09:59:04 AM »
I guess the only way around it is to post a link and then paraphrase instead of quoting verbatim.

Wrong Planet is way too busy a site for one admin and some moderators to police constantly.  The only way around would be to add a plug-in that would automatically check links and make sure the article isn't re-posted by more than 50%.  Not that I like the idea of having to resort to that (I'd like to be able to quote an entire article, nitpick it in parentheses all throughout, and call the author a total fucking idiot if I feel like it.), but if that's what it takes to prevent a barrage of legal threats, then so be it.

I rarely go to Wrong Planet.  It's just too busy to keep up with.  I have been visiting and posting more lately, since I downloaded its widget, but not by much.  The way I see it, it's like the Grand Central Station of Aspie forums.  You have to take notice whether or not you like the way it's run.  (Kind of like if there's a large city and you just happen to dislike the mayor.  Doesn't mean the whole city's a bad place.)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2009, 10:07:38 AM »
It's funny but it's a non-issue.

And if Alex wants to speak for the spazzes, let him. It won't matter, it won't actually change anything. :wanker:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2009, 10:14:59 AM »

And if Alex wants to speak for the spazzes, let him. It won't matter, it won't actually change anything. :wanker:
But wouldn't his talks be predicated on the basis that he's just as normal as the next person?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2009, 10:16:34 AM »

But wouldn't his talks be predicated on the basis that he's just as normal as the next person?

Who cares? It's not like the spazzes were ever united in anything.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2009, 10:22:36 AM »

Ah, now I was talking to an aspie friend who said that there have been fights in every aspie forum she's ever gone to.

So, do you think anybody in the UN takes A Plankton seriously?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 10:25:15 AM by The_Chosen_One »

TheoK

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2009, 10:26:38 AM »
There are fights on every NT forum too...flamewars, intrigues...

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2009, 10:28:05 AM »
Thezach is there replying to people as messygeek kinda funny actually
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2009, 10:31:27 AM »

Ah, now I was talking to an aspie friend who said that there have been fights in every aspie forum she's ever gone to.

Nope - but I do think he should be replaced by someone who would be taken seriously. Preferably someone who knows how to argue for our cause.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2009, 10:32:29 AM »

No. One look should be enough for mos.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2009, 10:34:08 AM »

Nope - but I do think he should be replaced by someone who would be taken seriously. Preferably someone who knows how to argue for our cause.

We have a cause?

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2009, 10:35:27 AM »
Some of us have.