Educational

Author Topic: Just wrong  (Read 2493 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: Just wrong
« Reply #90 on: January 08, 2009, 04:40:33 PM »
Yeah, I see your point, but gunpoint would only reach the front guys, not the decision makers.

Ever heard of sniper rifles? Bombs?  :eyebrows: :tooledup: :arrr:

Yes. They won't change anything. A society based on fear will not work in the long run.

I agree but it also makes me worry more about the future here as it is being turned into a society based on fear.  Fear of terrorists , drugs and violence are being used to justify more and more.  Even I finch when I hear the sound of sires and dread the thought of police ever arriving at my door.   Not that I do or have anything illegal but they are looking at everyone and everything different now.  Guilty until proven innocent seems to be the wave of the future.  I only hope to be living far enough out in the country by the time it gets even worse

I hope things will get better. The US didn't use to be like that.

Some areas are worse than others I live only an hour from NYC and the cops here are very jumpy and militaristic
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #91 on: January 08, 2009, 04:42:04 PM »
When did you really start noticing the difference?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2009, 10:55:05 PM »
Yeah, I see your point, but gunpoint would only reach the front guys, not the decision makers.

Ever heard of sniper rifles? Bombs?  :eyebrows: :tooledup: :arrr:

Yes. They won't change anything. A society based on fear will not work in the long run.

I agree but it also makes me worry more about the future here as it is being turned into a society based on fear.  Fear of terrorists , drugs and violence are being used to justify more and more.  Even I finch when I hear the sound of sires and dread the thought of police ever arriving at my door.   Not that I do or have anything illegal but they are looking at everyone and everything different now.  Guilty until proven innocent seems to be the wave of the future.  I only hope to be living far enough out in the country by the time it gets even worse

I hope things will get better. The US didn't use to be like that.

"You know, this used to be a Hell of a good country. I can't understand what's gone wrong with it."--George Hansen (Jack Nicholson) in EASY RIDER
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2009, 10:59:25 PM »
When did you really start noticing the difference?

I started noticing it in the late 1980s and early 1990s, when I got involved with marijuana legalization. But I think it really got going when Nixon declared his War on Drugs back in 1971. That's when a lot of drugs like pot got reclassified as "controlled dangerous substances:" basically, pot ended up being equated to heroin. Hence the gateway theory, the increase in no-knock warrants, warrantless wiretaps, drug tests, and asset forfeiture cases. Reagan, Bush I , Clinton and Bush II built on the police apparatus constructed to fight the War on Some Drugs for the War on Some Terrorists, leading (inevitably) to the violation of Posse Comitatus and the Third Amendment when Johnny comes marching home again. Again, I quote Burroughs: "Drug laws are a pretext to extend police powers." Another favorite quote from WSB: "When the cops start asking questions, there's no stopping them."
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

TheoK

« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2009, 01:37:14 AM »
Sweden was always kind of semi-Soviet for me, but warrantless taping and such have become legal just the last few years. But the state always interfered in almost anything some way or the other.