Educational

Author Topic: Why I Hate TV Cops  (Read 576 times)

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
Why I Hate TV Cops
« on: December 29, 2008, 06:43:57 PM »
WHY I HATE TV COPS (AND TV COP SHOWS)

*Answers come to them more readily than to real cops—much too easily.

*Their smugness sets my teeth on edge.  They’re so sure they’re right, unlike real cops, who are full of doubts: Did I get the right perp? Or was I in such a rush to judgment that I overlooked evidence that might disprove my conclusion (i.e., selective inattention)? I wish TV detectives were more like Petrovitch in Crime and Punishment and much, much less smug.  To paraphrase Colin Wilson, “I wish I was as sure of anything as (fill in the blank) is about everything.”

*Attitude towards perps is uniformly (pun intended) superior and condescending. (Well, it seems they got that right.)

*We rarely get to see them as human beings, mostly as tools of the state. (One of the things I loved about Homicide: Life on the Streets was how real the characters were: full of doubts, sometimes tormented by guilt, willing to be right even if it cost them—emotionally and/or professionally. I especially treasured the bar scenes, where you really got to hear their thoughts and feelings with less editing.)

*In an increasingly fascistic society--and even under Obama that won’t change much, at least not soon--deifying police is especially dangerous. As Orson Welles wrote in his script for Touch of Evil, “A policeman’s job is only easy in a police state.” That is as it should be. (Please note that line of dialogue was spoken by later-NRA spokesman and Second Amendment defender Charlton Heston. Heston, as an A-list star, could have used his influence with the studio to soften or eliminate that line. He didn’t.)

*There are too damn many of them. Also, there are too damn many doctor shows (although at least some of them show real doctors dealing with real patients.)

*I think—based on my experience and research—that most cops are either on the take, ex-jocks/military with an itch to beat on those less fortunate, or just in it for the money and benefits. Too few Serpicos, too damn many (fill in the blanks).

Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
Re: Why I Hate TV Cops
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 11:16:01 PM »
I agree, TV cop shows are way to over dramatic these days. I'd like a lot more realism in my TV cops thank you very much.

TheoK

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 04:05:37 AM »
Swedish cops behave that way to suspects for real, that is, to ordinary Swedes. They shit their pants if they have to deal with the tough guys like the Russian mafia.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 04:10:02 AM »
American TV and realism don't go hand in hand, sadly.

Offline Gluey

• Raging Red Head of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Park.
    • Tales From The Tard Hut Well at least some videos
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 12:59:08 AM »
Cops are annoying. I'd rather live in a small community stronghold. Trying to find criminals in a big huge community is like finding a needle in a haystack.
Park.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 10:48:38 PM »
Why do I hate TV cops?

My father never missed C.H.I.P.S, twenty some years later and I'm still tortured by flashbacks.  :zombiefuck:

Offline Averick

• Rookie (be kind to me)
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 10:59:35 PM »
Cops are rapists.

TheoK

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 05:06:06 AM »
 8)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 06:03:31 AM »
Why do I hate TV cops?

My father never missed C.H.I.P.S, twenty some years later and I'm still tortured by flashbacks.  :zombiefuck:

For me it was my sister :zombiefuck:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

TheoK

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 06:07:42 AM »
They show that stupid "Cops" on TV6 and people seem to like that the pigs get the little man trying to buy a whore for $20 or having ½ gram of cocaine in their pockets.

Never underestimate the stupidity of people.

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 04:29:08 PM »
Absolute power corrupts, but now always.  I remember that quote from a female social studies teacher.   I am told they are doing certain things, but who is to say about rumors.
famous piligram John Alden is my direct descendent. physically fit!, wanna hit me yet?, warnning, you may have to acutually walk first! Persuasive creates his own luck has ability & drive to succeed   drink "Diet Dr. Maina" :) "62" orgasms at 1 time Fuck you faggot ass! not wishing Metabolic profile ( insulin metabolism etc) is almost perfect with no psychic meds, so go fuck yourself! semiautonomic controll over tear glands ambedexterous

Offline ALLDAYGLOWRANDY

• Ginger Snap
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • hyper Spoiled pric
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 04:31:18 PM »
Kinky ideas,  oh, excuse me, too much hyperventilation.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Fuck fuck.
famous piligram John Alden is my direct descendent. physically fit!, wanna hit me yet?, warnning, you may have to acutually walk first! Persuasive creates his own luck has ability & drive to succeed   drink "Diet Dr. Maina" :) "62" orgasms at 1 time Fuck you faggot ass! not wishing Metabolic profile ( insulin metabolism etc) is almost perfect with no psychic meds, so go fuck yourself! semiautonomic controll over tear glands ambedexterous

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 07:29:38 PM »
They show that stupid "Cops" on TV6 and people seem to like that the pigs get the little man trying to buy a whore for $20 or having ½ gram of cocaine in their pockets.

Never underestimate the stupidity of people.

The show is hilarious.  People are such idiots.  At least in the US a lot of the stuff the cops do on it is a little shady people have a lot more rights concerning searching than the cops lead you to believe 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline ,

• Rookie (be kind to me)
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 12:05:30 PM »
they are not like real cops since real cops will set you up for a crime if they need to arrest a person for one and do not want to actually look for the right person

real cops set up people with any kind of developmental based disability including autism and down syndrome

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 09:43:21 PM »
Some real cops parallel the stupidity on TV. One fuckwit told me off for playing music and drumming the other week, and it was in the middle of the DAY, ffs. I felt like telling him to go fuck himself, because where I come from you can do anything you want so long as the neighbours don't complain. He said the law all over QLD said I couldn't do it, so I asked the neighbours. Guess what? No complaint. So I decided to still carry on as I would at home and if the same dude comes around, I'll say 'mach es du selbe', or go fuck yourself.