Author Topic: blast from the past - new info on a bad teacher I hate, decades later  (Read 8673 times)

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
Re: blast from the past - new info on a bad teacher I hate, decades later
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2008, 02:02:23 PM »
Well I would not abuse children (unless someone has the sense to bring back the cane - then I might give the dimmer ones a whack so they actually learn their timestables), but I would focus on making sure the brighter kids in my class get through as opposed the dimmer ones.
Why is this? Shouldn't they all be treated equal?
Teaching the brighter kids means the whole class learns. Teaching the dimmer kids means that the ones who actually have any potential get left behind. Its better to have some succeed than to have none succeed.

er, don't make any plans for becoming a teacher, hadron, if you really think this.

Why? He's 100% right. The dumb ones are usually not interested in learning either.
True - but its more often than not the parents fault. As I can't drag them back to school though there is a big limit as to what can be done about it. Especially as a secondary school teacher when most of the gap has totally opened. Reallly sorting out this mess is something that the primary school teachers should be working on. Ideally I would expect my students to come in at least being able to read and write.

TheoK

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2008, 02:25:43 PM »
Well I would not abuse children (unless someone has the sense to bring back the cane - then I might give the dimmer ones a whack so they actually learn their timestables), but I would focus on making sure the brighter kids in my class get through as opposed the dimmer ones.
Teaching the brighter kids means the whole class learns. Teaching the dimmer kids means that the ones who actually have any potential get left behind. Its better to have some succeed than to have none succeed.

er, don't make any plans for becoming a teacher, hadron, if you really think this.

Why? He's 100% right. The dumb ones are usually not interested in learning either.
True - but its more often than not the parents fault. As I can't drag them back to school though there is a big limit as to what can be done about it. Especially as a secondary school teacher when most of the gap has totally opened. Reallly sorting out this mess is something that the primary school teachers should be working on. Ideally I would expect my students to come in at least being able to read and write.

I could read and write at 3. My parents begged that I should be allowed to start school earlier but all they did was to let me go 2 years in kindergarten(!) and then offer me to start school directly at 2nd class.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »

Depends which school I am thinking of teaching in. In order to bring a school up having some pass as opposed to none passing is a good start - starting with the weaker kids is never going to succeed. Of course having the brighter kids succeed means that the dimmer ones have a better chance too.

i re-iterate: you know very little about teaching, then.

so many people think they know about teaching, cos they have experience of some teachers, but to be a *good* teacher is more than standing in front of a gang of kids and telling them things.  if it were that easy, then there wouldn't be all the complaints about crap teachers, would there?

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2008, 03:10:34 PM »

I could read and write at 3. My parents begged that I should be allowed to start school earlier but all they did was to let me go 2 years in kindergarten(!) and then offer me to start school directly at 2nd class.
Exactly - the brighter kids get screwed over whilst the dimmer kids are allowed to catch up. Unless of course mummy and daddy have a lot of money to buy a private education - then the dimmer ones just get extra tuition but not at the expense of the rest of the class.

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2008, 03:23:28 PM »

Depends which school I am thinking of teaching in. In order to bring a school up having some pass as opposed to none passing is a good start - starting with the weaker kids is never going to succeed. Of course having the brighter kids succeed means that the dimmer ones have a better chance too.

i re-iterate: you know very little about teaching, then.
Not at all - you just know little about my political objectives. My aim as a teacher would be primarily to get people from poorer backgrounds into top universities and then careers and frankly some kids have no chance. Asides if I were teaching Maths with a first class degree chances are I would be teaching the top students in the school anyway for most of the time.
so many people think they know about teaching, cos they have experience of some teachers, but to be a *good* teacher is more than standing in front of a gang of kids and telling them things. 
Agreed - I never said that I would do just that, really you are attempting to put words in my mouth here. In fact I have this row on a regular basis with my dept, apparently according to one of my lecturers we are learning how to prove merely by watching him write a few on the board every lecture. Lets say my photocopier has been my best friend of late.

Though admittedly if a teacher could stand up at the front of the class and tell the class correct stuff in clear English, then they would be better than many teachers I have had.
if it were that easy, then there wouldn't be all the complaints about crap teachers, would there?
Half of it is the same parents who have failed to raise their kids to any extent blaming their own ineptitude on teachers. The other half is totally inept teachers working with a laughable curriculum and being foolish enough to stick to it.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2008, 03:35:34 PM »
hadron, i really would give up if i were you.  more or less every word you've said the post above just continues to prove my point.

as for:

Half of it is the same parents who have failed to raise their kids to any extent blaming their own ineptitude on teachers.

are you saying this about the people who have complained about dodgy teachers in this thread?

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2008, 03:40:21 PM »
hadron, i really would give up if i were you.  more or less every word you've said the post above just continues to prove my point.
I could find teachers who more than agree with my arguments :)
as for:

Half of it is the same parents who have failed to raise their kids to any extent blaming their own ineptitude on teachers.

are you saying this about the people who have complained about dodgy teachers in this thread?
No - I was referring to in general. Lets say I overheard enough from them when attending parents evenings - basically middle class parents who can barely control their own kids, let alone get them to do their homework.  Though if their kids were brighter, then perhaps they would not need to...

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2008, 03:55:16 PM »

how many?  hadron, you're reverting to "i'm a sprog and i know everything" territory again.  take it from me (with 20+ years experience of hundreds of teachers), you really *don't* know, in this case.

as for:

No - I was referring to in general. Lets say I overheard enough from them when attending parents evenings - basically middle class parents who can barely control their own kids, let alone get them to do their homework.  Though if their kids were brighter, then perhaps they would not need to...

again, you should see things from "the chalk face", as it's called.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2008, 04:40:20 PM »
if it were that easy, then there wouldn't be all the complaints about crap teachers, would there?
Half of it is the same parents who have failed to raise their kids to any extent blaming their own ineptitude on teachers. The other half is totally inept teachers working with a laughable curriculum and being foolish enough to stick to it.

And you'd know this, how? Face it, you're a spazz, still in your teens, have no kids or teaching experience, and you take the opinions of a middle-aged nazi with a preference for young girls seriously.

Grow the fuck up.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2008, 04:59:00 PM »

how many?  hadron, you're reverting to "i'm a sprog and i know everything" territory again.  take it from me (with 20+ years experience of hundreds of teachers), you really *don't* know, in this case.
Most of my old teachers were in their fifties too - and I could find 10 people who pretty much agree with me, with more experience than yourself. Not that I believe in argument from authority of course...
as for:

You mean the resource website for teachers who dont know / cant be bothered to write their own lesson plans?
http://www.chalkface.com/products/Maths/

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2008, 05:09:07 PM »

And you'd know this, how?
I have had the joys of meeting many of these people...
Face it, you're a spazz,
All the girls I pulled this term might disagree with you here. You see I try not to flail around too often in self-righteous anger...
still in your teens,
Being young is a bad thing now - do I detect a hint of jealousy here.
have no kids or teaching experience,
The latter isn't true - I have worked in a school before, and been paid for it. As for kids - I hope not.
and you take the opinions of a middle-aged nazi with a preference for young girls seriously.
I try to judge ideas by their merits as opposed who said them. I suggest you learn to do the same. As for Lit (I assume you are refering to him) - he backed me up, not the other way around here.
Grow the fuck up.
Whatever Harry...

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2008, 05:19:57 PM »

Face it, you're a spazz,
All the girls I pulled this term might disagree with you here. You see I try not to flail around too often in self-righteous anger...

:LMAO:

Who's angry? I'm trying not to laugh.

still in your teens,

It's about your lack of experience in what you're offering opinions on. Being young in itself is not a bad thing.

The latter isn't true - I have worked in a school before, and been paid for it. As for kids - I hope not.

Your replies tell me otherwise, re actual experience. How much did you get for the babysitting?

and you take the opinions of a middle-aged nazi with a preference for young girls seriously.
I try to judge ideas by their merits as opposed who said them. I suggest you learn to do the same. As for Lit (I assume you are refering to him) - he backed me up, not the other way around here.

Poor judgment from you, then. Or do you prefer to blame it on your youthful inexperience?

Grow the fuck up.
Whatever Harry...

The sooner the better. In the meantime you might want to listen to those with actual teaching experience. Or, barring that, any kind of experience.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2008, 05:26:32 PM »

Face it, you're a spazz,

:LMAO:

Who's angry? I'm trying not to laugh.
Right ... so ... convinced.... Try not to wheeze when forcing it, would hate to see the effects if you tried it.
still in your teens,

It's about your lack of experience in what you're offering opinions on. Being young in itself is not a bad thing.

Your replies tell me otherwise, re actual experience. How much did you get for the babysitting?
Says the great master educator. As for it being babysitting - I don't know many who would pay such a rate.

Poor judgment from you, then. Or do you prefer to blame it on your youthful inexperience?
Says Lord Almighty from the high heavens. Or maybe not - who are you to judge me?
Grow the fuck up.
Whatever Harry...

The sooner the better. In the meantime you might want to listen to those with actual teaching experience. Or, barring that, any kind of experience.
Best not listen to you then...

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2008, 05:33:57 PM »

Most of my old teachers were in their fifties too

er, you think i'm in my 50s?  if that's the level of attention you pay to things, then the rest of your comments are worth jack shit.

- and I could find 10 people who pretty much agree with me, with more experience than yourself.

ten?  well done - when you can talk about hundreds, i'll start listening.  ::)

Not that I believe in argument from authority of course...

you'll learn to listen to people, one day.

as for:

You mean the resource website for teachers who dont know / cant be bothered to write their own lesson plans?
http://www.chalkface.com/products/Maths/

no, i mean what teachers call actually working in classrooms.  again, i refer to your lack of experience and knowledge.  

you can argue all you like, hadron, but it doesn't detract from the fact that - as has been pointed out on here several times, by several people - you're using an extrapolation of minimal experience to argue against people who know what they're talking about.  

i dare say you really do believe you're right, and not just arguing to save face, and to avoid admitting that others know more than you - been there, done that.  but, quite frankly, it's not worth engaging in debate with you if either is the case.

i thought we'd been through all this before, and you realised you didn't *have* to prove you have a brain.  but obviously not.  shame.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2008, 05:35:07 PM »
who are you to judge me?

you're doing just that here, so why shouldn't anyone else?