Author Topic: blast from the past - new info on a bad teacher I hate, decades later  (Read 8687 times)

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: blast from the past - new info on a bad teacher I hate, decades later
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2008, 04:02:25 AM »
who are you to judge me?

you're doing just that here, so why shouldn't anyone else?
Actually you started this - and Odeon went well past the normal lines in his post...

Normal lines? What normal lines?  :laugh: I don't see any aspect of this argument that hasn't been done a dozen times already on here.

<snip>

well said, pyraxis.  your whole post touches on both current pedagogical debate and thinking, and the restrictions put on teachers and schools - look at the funding and the ridiculous bureaucracy before you start blaming the teachers.

:clap:

:plus:

Offline garmonbozia

• Elder
  • Incessant Poster
  • The plane! The plane!
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2008, 07:49:10 AM »
For the nerds, my recommendation is martial arts.

Yeah, I wish. I used to live for the two weeks or so of high school gym that they spent on self defense. (Well, that and rugby, 'cause I had a lot of repressed desire to knock the crap out of people.) They kept saying we'd get to do fencing, and then they never got the funding.

Two weeks out of a bully-infested gym class won't do crap for martial arts.

It really needs to be in an environment away from the school.  For example, go to any dojo in town and have the sensei sign off on a form to verify your attendance and progress, and then take the form to the school.  Then the kid never has to set foot in a smelly locker room, and stands a better chance of going unnoticed by the scum.

The environments inside a gym class and a dojo (at least the one I went to) are worlds apart.  The dojo is a million times better.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2008, 07:55:41 AM »
Agreed and agreed. It was just better than nothing.  :P
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2008, 08:58:51 AM »
A teacher is a loser by default, at least below university.  :(
my mother went to school to become a reading teacher and she taught in one of the worst public schools in new york city. she would come home with knives and other weapons that she took away from students. she retired at age 55 (they bribed her because she was making too much money) and to this day her students come up to her on the street and thank her. after she retired she worked as a mentor to new teachers and now she teaches tennis and her students still love her and her classes are overcrowded (she works for a school and they keep adding kids) - she got certified as a tennis pro a last year. she is in her 70s.

i know this is n of 1 thinking but my sister is below average in IQ - i think she scored 90; she became a very successful vocational counselor. actually i think she is a supervisor now. my older sister is average IQ - like 100; she is the chief financial officer for a hospital in new york city. they doesn't have AS, though. me and my nephew are the only ones.

my father set standards for grades that now horrify me. i was supposed to get all a's, my average IQ sister was supposed to get a's and b's, and my younger sister was supposed to get whatever she could. she got mostly a's. i got everything from a's to d's (classes that bored me; i skipped them and just took the exams) and failed a class for never attending, in spite of passing all the exams.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 09:14:30 AM by wherewolf »
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2008, 11:50:15 AM »
who are you to judge me?

Who are you to judge all those teachers and parents? Are you a teacher or parent, are you someone with experience from either teaching or parenting?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2008, 11:58:34 AM »
who are you to judge me?

Who are you to judge all those teachers and parents? Are you a teacher or parent, are you someone with experience from either teaching or parenting?
Ah - but I never made the original judgement here. Merely passed on someone else's (well-justified) judgement and used it here :)

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2008, 11:58:50 AM »
who are you to judge me?

Actually you started this - and Odeon went well past the normal lines in his post...

You were insulting teachers and parents en masse. Why should I take your precious feelings into account? Do you need a hug?

besides, this is Intensity. If you can't stand the heat, go somewhere else.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2008, 12:00:22 PM »
who are you to judge me?

Ah - but I never made the original judgement here. Merely passed on someone else's (well-justified) judgement and used it here :)

so all your "arguments" are just someone else's words?

i don't think i need to comment on that further.

::)

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2008, 12:02:34 PM »
Odeon jumping to really lame personal attacks for no good reason.

Perfectly good reason, actually. Do reread your comments re parents. You were insulting lots of parents, without anything to back it up with.

If you need a friend, buy a dog.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2008, 12:07:03 PM »
who are you to judge me?

Maybe you should reread what you wrote, then. Here:

Half of it is the same parents who have failed to raise their kids to any extent blaming their own ineptitude on teachers. The other half is totally inept teachers working with a laughable curriculum and being foolish enough to stick to it.

Whose opinions are these? Are you about to blame someone else again? Maybe someone else posted this using your account? ::)

- Albert Einstein

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2008, 12:39:17 PM »
who are you to judge me?

You were insulting teachers and parents en masse. Why should I take your precious feelings into account? Do you need a hug?

besides, this is Intensity. If you can't stand the heat, go somewhere else.
Best get your bollocks off the fire then - before they spit roast...

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2008, 12:40:52 PM »
who are you to judge me?

so all your "arguments" are just someone else's words?

i don't think i need to comment on that further.

::)
Nah - just that one. The rest are paraphrases, asides the private schools one which is my own.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2008, 03:11:25 PM »
Copout, as expected. Take some fucking responsibility for once in your life.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2008, 07:27:41 PM »
Ugh - what did you do to the quotes? I'll see if I can make some sense of this.  :P

Firstly, in Britain effectively (to be concise) parents can buy their kids access to the best schools - often to the disadvantage of those kids in poorer backgrounds. (...) By removing parental choice, you vastly reduce the opportunities for all these people to cheat like that.
And put people at the mercy of the government instead. Instead of removing parental choice (which effectively eliminates student choice - some parents, like mine, actually let their kids pick the school), why not fund merit scholarships?

The way social structure currently is in the UK and other western civilisations is that its very difficult to be deeply into a social circle as a male without doing some form of sport. Gutting it from schools (and the TV imo) would help our cause a lot.
So basically, you want to make things better for male aspies at the expense of everyone else? I'm all for self-interest but that's awfully short-sighted. Rather than change people's attitudes, or even fix the system from the inside, you want to completely eliminate it? There's no way you'd get a majority to agree with you on that.

The only form of merit that can be justified in a modern society is intellectual ability and the openmindedness to think originally. The rest may as well be morons which we might want to farm like Horses for our own entertainment - but nothing else.
Okay, now I really don't take you seriously. That's as bad as Lit.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2008, 12:06:52 PM »
is he playing with mathces?
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher