Author Topic: What is a liberal?  (Read 3314 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Re: What is a liberal?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 04:54:29 PM »
You might be a liberal if.....

You think that consenting adults can engage freely in every activity except capitalism.
If you think the answer to ANY crime, infraction, or injustice is counseling.
If you use the words "right wing extremist" at least four times in any given day.
You live in constant fear that someone, somewhere, is making a profit.

Only the third is true of me, LOL, but I tend to call people Nazis and rednecks more often.

I used to consider myself a liberal, but the more my life began to suck, the more I'm becoming liberal-in-name-only. I mean, thinking logically here, if my mum kicks me out of the house, which is likely to happen at some point, I might end up living on the streets having to do some pretty unliberal stuff. Ergo, I might thank freer gun laws at some point, no matter how long I believed that guns should be banned altogether. So I guess it's true that a conservative is a liberal who has been mugged.

Also, the apocalypse could well by nigh (I don't mean the rock. The government KNOWS something is coming, and they ain't letting on), and in such a scenario, I want to be armed against whatever will be threatening the survivors. (I've seen too many movies, LOL.)

In what way do you think that the philosophy of liberalism conflicts with the private ownership of firearms?  What would this 'unliberal stuff' be that you'd do while living on the streets, and what would make it 'unliberal'?
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

TheoK

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2009, 04:59:13 PM »
Real liberalism would of course be pro firearms. Individual freedom is impossible without any chance of physical defense against presumtive oppressors (i.e. the police and the military).

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2009, 05:23:51 PM »
Real liberalism would of course be pro firearms. Individual freedom is impossible without any chance of physical defense against presumtive oppressors (i.e. the police and the military).

One word: bullshit.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2009, 05:34:34 PM »
Two words: passive-aggressive.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 06:34:05 PM »

I think your thinking libertarianism
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

TheoK

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2009, 06:37:04 PM »

I think your thinking libertarianism

Yes, in modern terms, since "liberal" is a term that has been perverted by cowards and hypocrites.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 04:32:00 AM »
Two words: passive-aggressive.

One and a half, at most, since you're using a hyphen. Semantically speaking, "passive-aggressive" should be regarded as one word.

Your attempts at perverting the meaning of the word "liberal" is a separate discussion, however, and one that I have no interest in pursuing since your basic premise includes the use of force to "be free".
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2009, 05:11:14 AM »
The only reason that you need force to be free is that there are oppressors, "governments", "states", etc, that have decided to rule over you without your consent. I'd never dream of using force if it weren't for the oppression. I'm not a violent nature except when someone treds on my rights, which these cowards do all the time. They have no original mandate, and thus their power is nothing but criminal. There isn't and never was such a thing as a "social contract", just oppression, nowadays camouflaged as "democracy". But the fraud is as great as when the kings claimed being God's deputies on Earth. They have no original mandate to rule over the people.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2009, 01:27:07 PM »
People YOU see as oppressors.

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2009, 03:31:11 PM »
Oh, it isn't oppression to force your will on people without their consent.  ::)

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2009, 04:28:33 PM »
Hypocrite. Why is it OK when you do it, then?

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2009, 04:39:42 PM »
???

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2009, 04:44:33 PM »
i love lit. he's a fascist nazi and against some of my beliefs, but i find him endearing. admit, odeon. you like him too.
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2009, 04:49:32 PM »
???

Details of which should probably be kept out of a public message board.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2009, 04:51:08 PM »
i love lit. he's a fascist nazi and against some of my beliefs, but i find him endearing. admit, odeon. you like him too.

He's a bigoted prick with delusions of adequacy. What's there not to like?

- Albert Einstein