Author Topic: The moon is a reflector, not a light source. Wacos disagree.  (Read 1649 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
The moon is a reflector, not a light source. Wacos disagree.
« on: November 25, 2008, 09:59:34 AM »
    The Emmy-winning scientist angered a few audience members when he criticized literal interpretation of the biblical verse Genesis 1:16, which reads: “God made two great lights — the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars.”

He pointed out that the sun, the “greater light,” is but one of countless stars and that the “lesser light” is the moon, which really is not a light at all, rather a reflector of light.

A number of audience members left the room at that point, visibly angered by what some perceived as irreverence.

“We believe in a God!” exclaimed one woman as she left the room with three young children.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: The moon is a reflector, not a light source. Wacos disagree.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 10:20:37 AM »
Facepalm.jpg
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Nocturnalist!

• Grumpy Composer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 11:33:01 AM »
The moon might not produce light in and of itself... but by reflecting the sun's light back onto the earth... it is a source of light from the perspective of the ground when the sun is not in the sky, even though it is simply reflective.

The Bible just calls them lights to illuminate the Earth and mark out seasons... and the Moon, whilst sourcing its light from the sun, does illuminate the earth during the night.

Its just a matter of perspective.

Is not the word 'Moonlight' still in our dictionaries? From our perspective we can talk about a moonlit night... and relative to the viewer this is correct. When we look in a mirror we say we see a reflection 'IN the mirror', even though the image is created by light bouncing off our face, and the light comes itself from another source. Indeed, the light we see isn't really light at all, but an image engineered within our brain... it is an illusion which we trust is based upon reality. We still talk in terms of 'seeing our reflection' - because that is more meaningful to us.

The word 'light' is, as far as I can remember, in the Hebrew a word that generally means 'illumination'.

When I walk at night, I see the moon... I don't see the sun, I see the moon... the light reflected from the moon gently illuminates the earth when the direct source cannot... and we call it moonlight. Should that word be banned or ridiculed?

Yes, there are a lot of ignorant religious folk out there who don't have a clue about science... but the same can be said of many atheists and agnostics also. Both sides can misrepresent the scientific reality... as indeed we ALL do.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 11:37:25 AM by Nocturnalist! »

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 11:35:41 AM »
Emmy winning scientist lol.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 01:10:29 PM »
Its just a matter of perspective.

Yes, a lot of things in the bible make much more sense when they're regarded from the perspective of an Arab tribesman sitting in his tent and making up just-so stories about the world around him.  When people start regarding it as some sort of authorative source of universal truth rather than the ramblings of some guy drinking fermented yak's milk and talking shit around the camp fire, things get all messed up.  From the perspective of somebody standing on the ground, with no knowledge of mathematics or astronomical instruments, the Sun and the heavens really do go around the Earth, and 'windows opening in the firmament to let the waters above through' is as good an explanation as any for rain.  From the perspective of myself, it's all poetic twaddle and a mish-mash of ancient myths and distorted folk memories.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 02:48:22 PM »
It was at a community collage too.  WTF are they teaching down there?
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 02:52:11 PM »
    The Emmy-winning scientist angered a few audience members when he criticized literal interpretation of the biblical verse Genesis 1:16, which reads: “God made two great lights — the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars.”

He pointed out that the sun, the “greater light,” is but one of countless stars and that the “lesser light” is the moon, which really is not a light at all, rather a reflector of light.

A number of audience members left the room at that point, visibly angered by what some perceived as irreverence.

“We believe in a God!” exclaimed one woman as she left the room with three young children.

hahaha :green: fucking broccoliheads
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 06:56:28 PM »
Peter - Look up Christians in Science. Their ability to expound nonsense is of a new level.

richard

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 06:41:46 PM »
people who take the bible litterly should be castrized, im sick of this shit

Offline SovaNu

• astralanes
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 07:42:43 PM »
people who take the bible litterly should be castrized, im sick of this shit

:indeed:
"I think everybody has an asshole component to their personality. It's just a matter of how much you indulge it. Those who do it often form a habit. So like any addiction, you have to learn to overcome it."
~Lord Phlexor

"Sometimes stepping on one's own dick is a memorable learning experience."
~PPK

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there; too much, the best of us is washed away."
~Gkar

:blonde:

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 02:11:48 AM »
The bible isn't the only book written in the past that takes liberties with basic scientific knowledge. People I see single it out are usually just starting shit.

It was at a community collage too.  WTF are they teaching down there?

Screw the community college. What are they teaching in their elementary schools?
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

richard

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 09:13:08 AM »
Screw the community college. What are they teaching in their elementary schools?
:orly:

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 10:13:46 AM »
what Emmy is given to scientists?

that is like saying an actor could become govenor.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 11:40:20 AM »

His show was pretty popular back in the day, so I'm not surprised he has an emmy.
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

richard

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2008, 01:00:27 PM »

i dont know but a tv actor did become a governor, in california and minnesota i think