Author Topic: 5 dangerous things you should let your kids do  (Read 991 times)

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Re: 5 dangerous things you should let your kids do
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 12:51:15 PM »
Sounds familiar, though not quite as bad as one of the girls at my school, who at age 11 or so was not allowed to go outside on a cloudy day in case it might rain and she would get wet. Her mother still walked her to school throughout high school.

That's bizarre.  My mum had paedo-fear and a fear that I'd get run over, but I don't think she worried overly much that I'd get rained on.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 01:07:09 PM »
Granted, this was in a place where they didn't have as much rain as Glasgow, but in retrospect I think that family had big issues. The kid had major self confidence problems, and didn't think she could do much at all for herself, including small things like raising her hands above her head to do a jumping jack (she had no physical disabilities as far as I know).
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 06:40:13 PM »
Speaking of jumping jacks, there is a school in Townsville that has banned cartwheels and gumnastics during lunch break. Fcuking insurance shit they reckon. What makes today any different to the early 70s or the late 60s? We did stuff then that was considered pretty dangerous but no-one gave a shit (except for the cracker thing). Why has society turn all weak and insecure? Generations after the end of the baby boom (which ended in around 1964) are totally fucked because they haven't been able to enjoy the good stuff that the older generations could. I think it all started to go downhill when they fucked with Enid Blyton and all this PC shit came in back in the early 80s. Now we have generation Y-do-we-bother, and the most dangerous thing they get up to is text bullying on a mobile phone, or playing AD&D or some shit while making fools of themselves on Idol or Big Brother.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2008, 07:23:16 PM »
Granted, this was in a place where they didn't have as much rain as Glasgow, but in retrospect I think that family had big issues. The kid had major self confidence problems, and didn't think she could do much at all for herself, including small things like raising her hands above her head to do a jumping jack (she had no physical disabilities as far as I know).

She couldn't/wouldn't raise her hands above her head?  Did she just sit on the ground and vegetate, or could she at least walk, eat and poop unassisted?  I wonder how her sex life turned out; whether she continues the theme of helplessness by imitating a sack of potatoes or compensates by riding her partner like a pony with a whip and saddle.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 08:19:45 PM »
She couldn't/wouldn't raise her hands above her head?  Did she just sit on the ground and vegetate, or could she at least walk, eat and poop unassisted?  I wonder how her sex life turned out; whether she continues the theme of helplessness by imitating a sack of potatoes or compensates by riding her partner like a pony with a whip and saddle.

I don't know; I moved schools and didn't see her again. I think she got better the more time she spent away from her mother, though.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2008, 09:03:31 PM »
Her mama couldn't have been getting much out of the marriage.

Offline klox

• Constant Poster
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2008, 04:13:00 AM »
Yeah I had all kinds of pocket knives from a young age, maybe 6 or 7. I also used to make all kinds of weapons out of anything I could gather. I went to a Royal show type thing when I was about 10 and my uncle talked my father into buying me a BB gun. When we got home my mother went bezerk about it, yet somehow I was still allowed to have it and play with it. I'm pretty sure they just insisted that I didn't kill birds or animals with it, which I thought was fair enough.

Some of my favourite creations were:
- 9v motorised piece of meccano with razor blades strapped onto each end
- Bicycle pump operated pin launcher. (The pin was wrapped in cotton wool on one end to make it fly)
- Truck ball bearing mace.

I also played with fire a fair bit.

My father also let me do driving lessons when I was 10, fully in control of the car.

Amazingly enough I never fucked myself up in way by doing any of this stuff, I am not sure if this is related to the OCD but I have always been very cautious about the way I take risks.