Author Topic: What sounds are you hearing now?  (Read 42698 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: What sounds are you hearing now?
« Reply #2580 on: October 24, 2017, 09:44:14 PM »
People talking in hushed voices.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2581 on: October 25, 2017, 01:39:18 AM »
Lots of loud traffic and Kayleigh yelling, "Fuck off!" at it.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #2582 on: October 25, 2017, 01:43:11 AM »
Hahahahaha ren. Why? early morning there too? or is it just something she does for the hell of it.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2583 on: October 25, 2017, 01:50:44 AM »
She's watching tv and couldn't hear what was going on with a few trucks going past with very loud engines.

Late afternoon here.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2584 on: October 25, 2017, 02:48:51 AM »
I know the feeling. Although its delivery drivers that piss me off, with how careless they can be. Only the other week (no damage done, in this instance. This time..)
my old man got a package of groundbait for fishing in the main and the box arrive ripped and wet with the inside bag split open, which can only have happened during its parcel couriers handling of it.

It was just organic matter of a nonreactive sort. Fish food. Simplle, and harmless. But I dread the day when somebody is going to treat one of my packages like shite, and I either receive several thousand pounds worth (monetarily, not weight) of delicate glass shards and snapped circuitboards with a scratched up handful of bits of specialized analytical equipment driver software CD.

Or (for the courier) worse, they throw something about, and something breaks in the van etc. and its something volatile and dangerous. I've no sympathy for somebody that gets themselves killed because they treated my property like shit, flinging it money fashion (and I've seen them do it, the postal workers that is, fllinging parcels, even opening the door, rather than trying to deliver, not even ringing the doorbell or knocking, when I'm visibly in the front room, and throwing in the package like it was a sack of manure.)  Some of those things.....jesus. Had they been not welll-packaged inside and protected by a lot of padding they have many times done things that could EASILY break say, a glass bottle of a couple of liters capacity and completey full of something highly corrosive, water sensitive, or that'd pure and simple burst into fucking flames the moment it met anything but inert-gas-purged (repeatedly) high vacuum line systems and direct bottle-to-reaction vessel transfer by positive pressure using cannulae (foot-long or so fllexible steel needes and oven-dried, helium or argon-filled and likewise all equipment, before putting it under vacuum before so much as a bottle be placed in a glove-bag or glove-box purged with dried inert gas.

Some day some bastard is going to throw a bottle of methyllithium in hexane or something like a dispersion of potassium or sodium hydride as though they were tossing a bloody baseball. And then they'll get much worse than 'fuck OFF!', which in any  case would be made inaudible by their screaming as it turned into a ball of fire and engulfed them in extremely strongy basic (alkaline) and VERY corrosive nastiness in the center of a conflagration in as much time as it took them to break the glass being a wanker and a trace of oxygen to propagate in, they drop it at the first sign of flame round a crack, even if it'd probaly seal, abeit near unrecoverably dangerously so, due to caked-up decomposition products, and then shatter the fucker as a result, and same corrosive fire-bolt result unfolding in their faces.

Sympathy for the ones actually guilty of such? I'd just hope they lived long enough for me to demand reimbursement for another item in replacement, at least, but I'd not want anybody not responsible for such an event taking place and with them at the time getting burnt and corroded or a panic in a truck getting some poor bastard bystander hit by the truck because of the stupidity of its occupants.

I HAVE had an order of sodium metal literally thrown through the front door. If it had been packaged other than in a steel can, such as in a glass jar under mineral like sodium, potassium etc. metals are often stored and sold in and under, the can containing a pllastic inner liner, containing the sodium, smeared with vaseline-type mineral heavy heavyweight oil and vacuum-evacuated then heat-sealed under inert gas, that inner pouch then shipped inside of a second, larger bag inflated with dry inert gas, likey argon or nitrogen, don't know which. But if that had been in glass under oi and it had leaked and broken onto my porch carpet. Jeusus. You just DON'T use BRICKS of sodium metal like you were playing dodgeball with who you are meant to be hand-delivering the items to. And that brick of sodium, let just say it is of more weight than woud give you a wee pop when thrown into water as a lab demo. This...you wouldn't throw it in water or let it anywhere NEAR water in any  quantity of the latter, and if you did, the thing to pop would be your skull and internal organs. And the windows would be blown out of the room if the door was closed and that all went 'pop', thing is at least the size of my fist.

And I had other flammables, including some that give off some very dangerous fumes if ignited on order too. Acetonitrile (MeCN) IIRC can give off HCN (hydrogen cyanide) as its burned. a big jug of THF (few liters), about 10 liters of isopropyl acohol, a fresh gallon drum of methanol....oh, yeah, thanks you fucking brainless cocksuckers, that thing with those and the 2 kilograms of red fucking phosphorus are marked 'delicate, keep this way up *big pointing arrows and big letters a one-eyed old fart of 90 with a cataract could read from halfway to sodding mars. You don't toss things marked like that, listed with customs forms proclaiming them to contain chemicals for laboratory use within, and throw bricks of sodium into people's porches unless you are trying to commit arson if you know the kind of chemicals present. If you don't then your comitting at the absolute minimum, gross stupid-fucking-ratbastardly negligence by means of being a fuckbrained inbred cretinous shitweasel undeserving of embezzling my entitlement of oxygen from within my own home as they deliver, and are paid to deliver said items.

And hazard aside, there were valuable items in there, some of them just plain pricy, some needing special shipping for hazardous materials, and more expensive thus, and some valuabe from coming from non-overt channels of mine because they are hard to find non-watched, and 'clean-skinned' so to speak. Just because they might have certain uses by certain people some of the time. And I'm bollocksed off big time if I want to ever pay thousands of pounds for a long-saved-for uber-sized batch of luxury-chemicals (if the latter term makes sense...I mean the things that hobbyist chemists all want to have but 95% of them can't have because they are very difficut to make and even harder to find somebody who will sell them to you and keep their mouths shut, if they will make a sale whatsoever. Hence luxury goods from a chemist's point of view. The O-chemist hobbyist's answer to fine havana cigars and long-aged (yuck) wine ( / yuck)

( I see 'can't sell you that' and just approach the problem with finding those who will. And where there is a will, in the absence of its being the kind read upon the demise of a dead relative dishing up an inheritance, there is also a way :autism: And I've a knack somewhat of finding said ways. But that kind of goods, I would be WAY beyond livid if damage or not I saw the delivery driver chuck any of them anywhere. And yes I'd pull them up in the street on something of that magnitude and potential hazard and give them a very loud, very public bollocking that'd be as corrosive and poisonous as anything I might ever have delivered, right then and there after I yank them out of their delivery van and give them an earful they'd never forget of words used in ways nobody under the age of at leasts fifty ought to know exist :P

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2585 on: October 25, 2017, 02:51:49 AM »
Or perhaps crueller still, quietly whisper into their ears exactly, in graphic detail what they would inflict on themselves by their own hand if they mistreat a package of mine in the wrong way and aren't lucky, by virtue of whats IN there. I can guarantee it'll be...not nice, and something they'd wake up sweating from screaming nightmares for months at least after I'd finished doing it.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2586 on: October 25, 2017, 04:13:15 AM »
With my last Star Trek book order, they just shoved it into a neighbour's letterbox hole. Luckily I was watching for the mail that day and saw the package sticking out with the label showing that had my name on it.

I have a package coming that is a friend's birthday present, I'll be peeved if I don't get that.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2587 on: October 25, 2017, 05:00:56 AM »
At least here, couriers often will leave things with a neighbor who will agree to keep them for you and pop a little delivery note through your letterbox to say they've been.

Although I have to confess, for the reasons of the natures of quite a lot of my deliveries, I'd rather such things were not just handed to a neighbor. And the last time any courier did so, when I was given my packages by them, I did give them a (friendly, kindly meaning) warning that as a chemist I frequently receive products that are quite hazardous in the wrong hands, so just to be gentle with anything, and just to let me know so I can come for whatever it is as soon as I can and take it off their hands so they don't have such things around.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2588 on: October 25, 2017, 10:12:46 AM »
R.I.P. Fats Domino

Heaven just got a bit better.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2589 on: October 26, 2017, 06:57:24 AM »
The wind (what else is new?) And Kayleigh watching something on YouTube.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #2590 on: October 26, 2017, 08:19:14 AM »
  Finding this cheesy classic irresistible right now.  :autism:

"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2591 on: October 27, 2017, 02:13:59 PM »
Construction at the neighbours place, cars going by, dogs breathing while they sleep.
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2592 on: October 28, 2017, 01:44:11 AM »
Kayleigh chopping up mushrooms.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #2593 on: October 28, 2017, 03:47:54 PM »
Fridge and clock in the kitchen, a muffled beep (like neon light beep) from somewhere outside. Cat running the stairs to attic. Wind gaining strength outside.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2594 on: October 28, 2017, 08:16:19 PM »
Crows - sounds like they are arguing. Next door's gate vibrating. It always does when it's shut.
Tek'ma'tae