Educational

Author Topic: What sounds are you hearing now?  (Read 42628 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: What sounds are you hearing now?
« Reply #2565 on: October 21, 2017, 02:17:54 AM »
A vacuum cleaner.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2566 on: October 23, 2017, 01:49:09 AM »
The oldest rumbling around in the basement. I guess I'm not the only one who can't sleep tonight :yawn:
“To rise, first you must burn.”
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #2567 on: October 23, 2017, 02:40:33 AM »
*sends miss K hugs and a couple of sleeping pills*

I barely got a wink of sleep last night, was  all tossing and turning, really uncomfortable. Only way I got any sleep at all was using clonidine to lower my blood pressure sufficiently to knock me out.

Hearing chimaira blasting out at top volume, been on a bit of a chimaira marathon all night :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUqawEDRo9U
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #2568 on: October 23, 2017, 05:06:30 AM »
The oldest rumbling around in the basement. I guess I'm not the only one who can't sleep tonight :yawn:

No, you were not. :P

Cats in this household did sleep. That's about it.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2569 on: October 23, 2017, 04:16:23 PM »
A low-medium frequency buzzing noise, coming from an air compressor, originally a medical implement of some sort, came from a hospital and found its way to Lestat by way of its being first traded in for store credit by somebody at a pet store, and the pet shop owner finding it gave off too much vibration to be suitable for aquaculture, so it was sold by the pet store owner to me, as he knew I'm a chemist, since I come in there for supplies, and he's seen me for example, take in condensers and pumps so I can match the right size tubing for them, and completely clean him out of things like sulfur and formaldehyde :P

And since I have no interest in keeping pet tropical fish whatsoever, he realized I was most probably the one and only customer he could ever get rid of that pump to, and sold it me at just the price he gave whoever it was that sold it him for store credit, so I got it for just £5, a bargain, considering its quite powerful, and being hospital equipment and thus medical grade it HAS to be reliable, so it is doubtless something that would be pretty expensive if bought new from the same source as the hospital got it from. 

Got that turned on atm, and its buzzing and humming, I've got it connected up to a flask, that atm contains a small quantity of concentrated sulfuric acid, last used as a gas generator, in a 2-neck round bottom flask, so I could connect a pressure-equalized addition funnel containing concentrated hydrochloric acid, stoppered at the top to prevent the HCl gas from simply backing up the pressure-equalization side-arm and going up and out of the top, and thus making it go out of the other end, equipped with a bit of a custom improvized piece of glassware of my own, after a separatory funne broke, just at the half-way point of the tap, leaving essentially a stopper with a hollow bore through the entire length, that can be fitted with a piece of plastic tubing and that used to direct gases generated in the flasks. In the case of this kind of hydrogen chloride generator, the powerful dessicant effect of concentrated sulfuric acid, when the conc. HCl is added slowly, either dropwise, or a little splash at a time, the conc. (98-99%) H2SO4, acting as a dessicant, absorbs the water in the aqueous hydrochloric acid and the hydrogen chloride passes through the H2SO4 and is dehydrated in the process, passing out through my little recycled, modified gas outlet-stopper that I hacked and reincarnated the busted sep funnel to make. The air compressor is purging the H2SO4 so it can at least be used for other things, or the water boiled off to re-concentrate the sulfuric acid. Mostly done now I think, at least the flask is no longer belching clouds of hydrogen chloride fumes when compressed air is blown over the surface. Time to exchange the surface flow for a fine-bored glass pipette attached to the plastic tubing currently there, so it can be placed under the surface of the still very strong sulfuric acid without coming to harm (the plastic tube would simply be disintegrated by the acid, I only needed a small amount of HCl gas to prepare a solution of anhydrous hydrogen chloride in anhydrous isopropanol (for adding to nonpolar solvent solutions of amine freebases and forming salts that can easily be separated either by flooding with a larger volume of a polar sovent in which the formed amine salt is insoluble, or distilling off the solvents, it works much better IMO, or at least is far more convenient than using acidified water, since doing it with anhydrous alcoholic solutions of anhydrous HCl allows much better, cleaner crystallization, and additionally, the boiling point of the alcohols is less than H2O, so its easier to distill off, and allows the solvents to be distilled at lower temperatures, avoiding excessive heating of the amines, which is especially convenient should the hydrochloride salts be volatile with heat.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2570 on: October 23, 2017, 05:53:11 PM »
The PR is in the front yard running around talking to herself.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2571 on: October 23, 2017, 06:54:05 PM »
A vacuum cleaner.
I'm hearing something that sounds like that, only it has been going for over an hour. One of the neighbours?
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2572 on: October 23, 2017, 06:54:50 PM »
The rain hitting the roof and the cat singing the songs of his people quite loudly in the hallway.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2573 on: October 23, 2017, 10:16:44 PM »
About what, dare I ask, QV? I find I talk to myself, at times, but in a musing kind of way, not a conversation, more along the lines of 'hmm...where DID I put that condenser last time I used it....'

Currently (again, and again) and then some more, hearing that delicious heavy throbbing bass-line from Chimaira-'clayden'
Its just got that 'gets in your head' factor to it. And played as loud as possible. I've had it on repeat for about an hour or so, and all night for most of last night too :P Interspersed with the occasional play through of their albums 'the impossibiity of reason' and 'crown of phantoms'

Its a bit past 5 AM here now, and I've still got that song pounding out.

Now checking out some tracks by 'The Haunted' that I've not heard before, athough starting with one I have, one of my favourites:
The Haunted-'urban predator'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-REPc1dIXR4&list=PLyNkh-wQ2KB1l7Fj2mL-7IQpr572XzNd6&index=7

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUqawEDRo9U

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #2574 on: October 24, 2017, 01:35:40 AM »
Bunch of sparrows discussing and debating the events of the day.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 01:37:39 AM by 'andersom' »
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2575 on: October 24, 2017, 01:50:36 AM »
Kittie!!!! fucking brings back memories, was into this band as a youngish teen, from when they published their early album 'spit'

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2576 on: October 24, 2017, 06:17:38 AM »
Church bells from the old church a few streets away. Haven't heard them in ages, maybe because my bedroom window was shut for most of the winter.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2577 on: October 24, 2017, 09:45:23 AM »
Katatonia (no not the band with that welsh bugger, the one with a 'K' and a male lead singer, these buggers:
(katatonia-'teargas')
https://youtu.be/KRQOoDPvqVo

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2578 on: October 24, 2017, 05:52:43 PM »
The rubbish truck. Very loud and squeaky brakes.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Phoenix

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2579 on: October 24, 2017, 07:27:18 PM »
The rain and the wind. As long as I don't hear another tree crashing, I'm good.
― Hiba Fatima Ahmad