Educational

Author Topic: What has been happening in my world  (Read 1199 times)

Teejay

What has been happening in my world
« on: August 09, 2008, 05:56:51 AM »
Okay back in Late March my dad's partner suggested I work in a local 'supported' workplace called Peter Harcourt Industries, her idea was for me to get an idea of what working in a paid job is like. Supported workplaces in Australia have been reformed to function like regular businesses, they employ people on the disability support pension, although a lot of the people in these days are mentally handicapped.

Peter Harcourt Industries is just one division of Peter Harcourt Disability Services http://www.phs.org.au/, it caters for people who are intellectually handicapped for the most part. Although a few who work in the companies of Peter Harcourt Disability Services, aren't mentally handicapped and have other disabilities.

Well I started work there for two days a week in Early April, for the first three months I was on a trail period, now I am a permanent worker working three days a week instead of 2, my goal is to work eventually five days a week. I am still on the trail wage of $5 a day until a government assessor something this month comes to assess me to figure out how much I should be paid.

The jobs I do at work are things like collating catalogues, packing things like pottery feet in boxes, gluing boxes together, shrink wrapping and inserting letters into envelopes. I've done some other jobs as well, but I can't remember what they are from the top of my head.

So far I have been a pretty good worker there, I occasionally make mistakes and forget what is said by my managers. However I seem to be regarded a competent worker.

The people I work with are nearly all people who are mentally handicapped, this has made me into a much more nicer, accepting and understanding person than I used to be. I have not gotten really close to anybody, but I could change soon and it would be nice for me to have RL 'friends' rather than people I am just friendly with.

A sideffect of my work, is a lot of social activities are advertised via work and people from work participate in them. So far I have done some Special Olympics ten pin bowling (have not done that in two or three months, I have to decide if I want to go back) and started playing baseball in a program for 'Special' people. Those are just a couple social things I have done, including attending the Peter Harcourt monthly discos twice and planning on going to a dinner dance held by Murray Human Services http://www.murrayhumanservices.org.au/ in town of Echuca next month.

I do say that working there has had it's downsides, namely the antics of the people I work with get on my nerves (I am not particularly playful and do not share the sense of humor the others I work with have) and that my current work I feel is not going to help very much to getting into a job in a accounting field (I am still doing the diploma of accounting at TAFE, right now I've decided I am not going back to university next year, I could but I am not.)

Feel free to ask any questions you want answered.

thepeaguy

Re: What has been happening in my world
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 06:03:06 AM »
Who cares? Ignore.

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 06:17:36 AM »
Rain Man

I work for the Black Hills Workshop something similar. I been scanning documents into computer. Been doing it for less than a month. The State of South Dakota pays them to help train Me in My job. I work two days a week right now too.

Good Luck.
Guardian of the Empire

Teejay

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 06:18:51 AM »
Rain Man

I work for the Black Hills Workshop something similar. I been scanning documents into computer. Been doing it for less than a month. The State of South Dakota pays them to help train Me in My job. I work two days a week right now too.

Good Luck.

Thanks Kevv

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 06:27:56 AM »
I do say that working there has had it's downsides, namely the antics of the people I work with get on my nerves (
Too bad they don't let you work alone other employees have always been my downfall at work.  Hopefully you will get an accounting job good luck
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Teejay

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 06:59:26 AM »

Too bad they don't let you work alone other employees have always been my downfall at work.  Hopefully you will get an accounting job good luck

I work by myself from time to time, also the people I work with are usually pretty good company. I wish things were a little bit more formal at work, I work in a place which is quite informal.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2008, 12:22:46 PM »
Why aren't you going back to University?

Teejay

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 05:45:28 PM »
Why aren't you going back to University?

I've decided it wasn't for me at this point in my life to complete a University Degree. I am still doing a TAFE diploma although.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 10:46:35 PM »
TAFE diplomas are worth quite a lot here.

I was offered a job like the one you are doing but I didn't take it because my travel expenses were more than I would get paid.

And discos? Run awaaaaay! :GA:

Are you going to those?
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Teejay

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 01:25:35 AM »
And discos? Run awaaaaay! :GA:

Are you going to those?

I went to a couple, lots of sound, found it very diffcult to talk to anyone or to listen to anyone.

Offline vodz

• psych0naught
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Entrianglement.
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 09:29:53 AM »
$5 a day? How did an aspiring accountant get talked into that?

( :lol: @ peegai)
This brain could do with some more dimethyltryptamine.

What is the difference between ignorance and apathy? "I don't know and I don't care."

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 01:51:44 AM »

He is doing it for the experience and he will be paid more fairly soon, I believe. 

I rode the bus as a volunteer with my daughter and another autistic little girl for over a year, but now the school district decided to pay someone to do it since they are adding two teenage boys to the bus.  I applied for the job and I got it, so now I will be paid for doing a job I did for free.

Teejay

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 02:58:57 AM »

He is doing it for the experience and he will be paid more fairly soon, I believe. 

I rode the bus as a volunteer with my daughter and another autistic little girl for over a year, but now the school district decided to pay someone to do it since they are adding two teenage boys to the bus.  I applied for the job and I got it, so now I will be paid for doing a job I did for free.

I am no longer going to University, although I've gone back to TAFE and decided to complete a Diploma of Accounting. I am no longer an aspiring accountant, I am working on being employable in 'open' employment sphere and developing more skills. The people in charge at my current workplace are willing to help me on that.

I am getting paid more soon because I received the paperwork and form for my wages assessment which will be done by the Commonwealth Rehabilitation Service which is a government agency.

As Callaway said above, lots of people do volunteer work which becomes paid work. The work I have been doing is no more hard than a lot of volunteer work and my hours being from 9am-4pm are pretty reasonable.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 03:11:17 AM by Rain Man »

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 03:22:14 AM »
Who cares? Ignore.
And you could have done that without wasting time typing the above.

Good luck to you, Rain Man!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 03:32:14 AM by wandrew »
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 08:32:14 AM »

I am no longer going to University, although I've gone back to TAFE and decided to complete a Diploma of Accounting. I am no longer an aspiring accountant, I am working on being employable in 'open' employment sphere and developing more skills. The people in charge at my current workplace are willing to help me on that.

I am getting paid more soon because I received the paperwork and form for my wages assessment which will be done by the Commonwealth Rehabilitation Service which is a government agency.

As Callaway said above, lots of people do volunteer work which becomes paid work. The work I have been doing is no more hard than a lot of volunteer work and my hours being from 9am-4pm are pretty reasonable.

What are the CRS like these days? I know about 12 years ago when I was using them that they were as useless as tits on a bull.