Educational

Author Topic: Would the "nazis" have killed us Aspies?  (Read 11044 times)

Offline IlluSionS667

• Constant Poster
Would the "nazis" have killed us Aspies?
« on: August 08, 2008, 12:45:56 PM »
Austrian psychologist Asperger published the first definition of Asperger syndrome in 1944. In four boys, he identified a pattern of behavior and abilities that he called "autistic psychopathy", meaning autism (self) and psychopathy (personality disease). The pattern included "a lack of empathy, little ability to form friendships, one-sided conversation, intense absorption in a special interest, and clumsy movements." Asperger called children with AS "little professors" because of their ability to talk about their favorite subject in great detail.

Asperger was convinced that many of the children he identified as having autistic symptoms would use their special talents in adulthood. He followed one child, Fritz V., into adulthood. Fritz V. became a professor of astronomy and solved an error in Newton’s work he originally noticed as a child. Hans Asperger’s positive outlook contrasts strikingly with Leo Kanner's description of autism, of which Asperger's is often considered to be a high-functioning form. In his 1944 paper, Asperger wrote:
We are convinced, then, that autistic people have their place in the organism of the social community. They fulfil their role well, perhaps better than anyone else could, and we are talking of people who as children had the greatest difficulties and caused untold worries to their care-givers.

Near the end of World War II, Asperger opened a school for children with autistic psychopathy, with Sister Victorine. The school was bombed towards the end of the war, Sister Victorine was killed, the school was destroyed and much of Hans Asperger's early work was lost. It was this event that arguably delayed the understanding of autism spectrum conditions in the west.

Based on this information (fetched from Wikipedia), I think it would be safe to assume that Aspies would have been treated like normal Germans and certainly not be put up for extermination/euthanasia.

TheoK

Re: Would the "nazis" have killed us Aspies?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 12:47:27 PM »
Agree. :)

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
Guardian of the Empire

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 01:11:22 PM »
The higher functioning people I think would have been safe but not the lower ones
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline IlluSionS667

• Constant Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 01:21:29 PM »
The higher functioning people I think would have been safe but not the lower ones

Who exactly was the T-4 euthanasia programma applied to according to mainstream sources? It is a well-accepted fact by orthodox and revisionist historians alike that the Third Reich applied mercy killings to those with severe incurable handicaps, but I've thusfar found neither in orthodox historians' sources nor in revisionist sources a description of what types of conditions were applicable for it.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 05:33:09 PM »
Well my wife works at a special ed high school some wear diapers I don't think they would have been safe
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 05:48:38 PM »
They would be a liability and something to be cleaned out of the gene pool probably in the eyes of the Nazis.   If a person isn't useful (serving the ultimate purpose), there is no reason to not put them out of their misery.   I would think they were seen as a leech upon the rest of society, worthless.   Basically a dead and worthless branched that needed to be pruned.   That is how I think the Nazis viewed the disabled, or most likely how they did.   
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 05:43:38 AM »
I think there is not enough proof that there were Nazis. I think it is all propaganda and this question is obsolete.
I think that the so called World War was just an ongoing field exercise between various countries.
Certainly such views are bizarre and in the face of logic but......
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 07:10:58 AM by Sir_Les_Patterson »
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 07:22:58 AM »
Hollywood hadn't quite put their spin on it. They needed John Wayne, Gary Cooper and a few others to convince the reat of the world that there was something going on, and what better way than to get MGM and Univeral to make a few war movies in the backlots.

Then they phoned Pinewood in Englsnd and told them they needed some movies like The Dam Busters and some others, so they got Alec guiness and others together. Almost worked, until they ran out of film in 1945.

Offline IlluSionS667

• Constant Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 03:11:45 AM »
They would be a liability and something to be cleaned out of the gene pool probably in the eyes of the Nazis.   If a person isn't useful (serving the ultimate purpose), there is no reason to not put them out of their misery.

Let me quote Asperger again :

We are convinced, then, that autistic people have their place in the organism of the social community. They fulfil their role well, perhaps better than anyone else could, and we are talking of people who as children had the greatest difficulties and caused untold worries to their care-givers.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 03:53:02 AM »
They would be a liability and something to be cleaned out of the gene pool probably in the eyes of the Nazis.   If a person isn't useful (serving the ultimate purpose), there is no reason to not put them out of their misery.

Let me quote Asperger again :

Obviously, Hans Asperger is arguing as passionately as he possibly can that the lives of his "autistic psychopaths" should be spared by the Nazis.

This quote you reference is a translation by Uta Frith of what Hans Asperger wrote in his paper on Asperger syndrome, however, Frith comments on this passage as follows:

"The historical background to this passionate defence of the social value of autism was the very real threat of Nazi terror which extended to killing mentally handicapped and socially deviant people."

Offline IlluSionS667

• Constant Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 03:56:46 AM »
Obviously, Hans Asperger is arguing as passionately as he possibly can that the lives of his "autistic psychopaths" should be spared by the Nazis.

This quote you reference is a translation by Uta Frith of what Hans Asperger wrote in his paper on Asperger syndrome, however, Frith comments on this passage as follows:

"The historical background to this passionate defence of the social value of autism was the very real threat of Nazi terror which extended to killing mentally handicapped and socially deviant people."

Where's the evidence for this?

Again, I repeat my earlier question. Who exactly was the T-4 euthanasia programma applied to according to mainstream sources? It is a well-accepted fact by orthodox and revisionist historians alike that the Third Reich applied mercy killings to those with severe incurable handicaps, but I've thusfar found neither in orthodox historians' sources nor in revisionist sources a description of what types of conditions were applicable for it.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 04:11:59 AM »

Where's the evidence for this?

I guess if you need evidence you could pick up a copy of Uta Frith's book Autism and Asperger syndrome, turn to pages 89 and 90, and read it for yourself.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 05:43:24 AM »
I think if Hitler was Autistic and his Gestapo were people with Asperger's Syndrome then you would still not be safe from being indiscriminately exterminated, it would have nothing to do with you having Asperger's Syndrome.  >:D
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 06:06:49 AM »
Hell, or should that be heil, maybe the whole third fucking reich were Aspies or autistics, and the rest of Europe were NTs who were supposed to be wiped out. That would give some 'logic' to Delusionist's argument. Bullshit logic, but logic nonetheless. As far as we know, though, they weren't; and Hitler was just another psycho waging war on people to get some political gain and to take over his part of the world. Asperger should have put his quote more into context, but given the times, and possibly the fact he may have been unable to be understood, the message got lost in the rhetoric.