Educational

Author Topic: Green Shit  (Read 2419 times)

Offline Dexter Morgan

• Karma Policeman of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
Re: Green Shit
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 12:48:28 PM »
Li-Ion batteries batteries have there draw backs also,  ever throw one in a fire :o.  Fire fighters will have to get more training in fighting metal fires but I think this is the way it will go
That is one of the reasons they haven't been implemented yet, in addition to the current cost.

Teejay

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 04:00:20 PM »
I think biofuels are where we have to go.  Although, if the US would stop using corn to make ethanol, things would be much better.  Brazil is energy independent, they use ethanol made from sugarcane which is twice as efficient as corn.

The problem that I see with most people is that they try to come up with one energy system to replace coal, which just doesn't make sense.  Of course solar power is going to suck in Scotland... although you might be able to use wind.  Wind might suck in Arizona, but solar would work awesome.  There's also Stirling engines which are much more efficient than photovoltaics.  Hydrogen power is mostly bullshit.  You're gaining some efficiency but mostly just moving the pollution upstream.  It's not going to be a single solution like coal is.  Coal is cheap, and until it becomes expensive, people are going to use it.

If the government were offering a huge prize for somebody to invent vastly more efficient batteries, wind and especially solar power would become quite feasible. Batteries with huge store capacities can store energy produced by such power plants when it is sunny or windy and provide an even flow of power from the stations regardless of the weather.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 04:20:49 PM »
I think biofuels are where we have to go.  Although, if the US would stop using corn to make ethanol, things would be much better.  Brazil is energy independent, they use ethanol made from sugarcane which is twice as efficient as corn.

The problem that I see with most people is that they try to come up with one energy system to replace coal, which just doesn't make sense.  Of course solar power is going to suck in Scotland... although you might be able to use wind.  Wind might suck in Arizona, but solar would work awesome.  There's also Stirling engines which are much more efficient than photovoltaics.  Hydrogen power is mostly bullshit.  You're gaining some efficiency but mostly just moving the pollution upstream.  It's not going to be a single solution like coal is.  Coal is cheap, and until it becomes expensive, people are going to use it.

If the government were offering a huge prize for somebody to invent vastly more efficient batteries, wind and especially solar power would become quite feasible. Batteries with huge store capacities can store energy produced by such power plants when it is sunny or windy and provide an even flow of power from the stations regardless of the weather.
Nuclear fusion is by far the more realistic prospect. Lots of money is spent of battery research currently as it is, and they have little chance in making the quantum leap needed. Realistically the only way you could store that amount of energy is convert into fuel and burn it back off again, for example hydrogen. Of course its still rather inefficient, but more feasible than hydrogen...

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 10:02:05 PM »
I think the whole issue is shit because everyone is being conned by these groups that need money for their pissy little projects, like solar energy and other crap. There are only two forms of reliable energy, coal fired and nuclear. Solar is unreliable becuase you need these huge fucking panels to collect the heat, and most of it is lost in the transfer to the batteries. Wind farms are pretty much the same, because you would need a shitload of turbines to get a small amount of power. The coal will never run out, because with vulcanization and compression, coal is being produced all the time, and regardless what those fucktards say, there is enough oil and coal left to last for approximately the next 500 years. Nuclear fusion energy is cleaner, but seeing as nobody has done the research on it, and everybody thinks that anyone with uranium is planning WW3, no-one want to try it. Ethanol could be a good alternative for petrol, given that most cars ran on it back in the 1930s and 40s. It wasn't until the car companies changed their engines and the fuel companies changed their fuel around the time of the petrol crisis in the 70s that everybody became totally petrol reliant. LPG (Liquid Petroleum Gas) is half the price of unleaded petrol, but not many people have the sense to convert. Sure, we are running a bit low with water, but it's cyclical, and this global warming crap is a scare campaign by idiots who know fuck all about historical weather patterns. So I think we have a long way to go yet before we have to worry. What we can do, is to clean up the pollution in the streets by getting rid of the litter and Stop upgrading things just for the sake of fashion.

I think that solar energy works pretty well if you understand how to make effective use of it.  Solar calculators work pretty well and many people make effective use of passive solar energy to heat their homes

Wind energy actually works great here.  Here, in some cases, it is more cost-effective than the alternative, except that the power company charged more when wind energy became cheaper because of an idea that people who opt for wind energy actually want to pay more rather than pay the actual cost.

I wonder if you realize how much power is generated by a single turbine on a wind farm?  Those turbines are gigantic!  It is an oversized load for a trailer to carry just one of the three turbine blades.  They don't look so big way up in the air.

The 165-MW Colorado Green Wind Farm, Prowers County, Colorado Photo: American Wind Energy Association

Somerset Wind Farm, Somerset, Pennsylvania Each turbine has a generating capacity of 1.5-megawatts and generates on average enough electricity to serve the equivalent of 400 homes or more. Photo: American Wind Energy Association

Here is a turbine blade on a trailer:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 10:12:11 PM by Callaway »

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 05:49:02 AM »
I had no idea the turbine blades were that big, having only seen them from a distance. We have some wind farms here, this one in Albany:

They should definitely make more wind farms here because if there is one thing we have a lot of, it is wind.  ;)

Green energy is more expensive here as well. If I could afford it, I would have it.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 06:30:46 AM »
I thought this thread was going to be about people with an iron deficency.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 10:46:28 AM »
I thought this thread was going to be about people with an iron deficency.

Charming

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2008, 12:00:27 PM »
I had no idea the turbine blades were that big, having only seen them from a distance. We have some wind farms here, this one in Albany:

They should definitely make more wind farms here because if there is one thing we have a lot of, it is wind.  ;)

Green energy is more expensive here as well. If I could afford it, I would have it.
This is the case against them: :P

All you need is the brakes to fail, and BOOM!

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2008, 02:35:29 PM »
What happened? Did someone run into it with a car?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2008, 03:38:16 PM »
It went to fast.   There should be control over the pitch of the rotor to slow it in high wind it apparently failed
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2008, 03:56:20 PM »
Basically if the brakes fail on any wind turbine then they spin too fast and self destruct. Somehow I remain convinced the nukes are a tad safer...

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2008, 04:15:07 PM »
Basically if the brakes fail on any wind turbine then they spin too fast and self destruct. Somehow I remain convinced the nukes are a tad safer...

Wind turbines are as about as safe as anything else man made nukes too if made correctly and maintained properly.  Wind turbine failure would not really affect you unless you where really close though 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2008, 10:37:28 PM »
That is the worst argument I've ever heard.  Are you fucking retarded?

What about nuclear waste that has to be isolated for hundreds of thousands of years, the possibility of a meltdown, the release of radio active material?  How many people have been killed by wind turbines?  How many birth defects have been caused by meltdowns at a wind farm?  How many cities have had to be abandoned because of wind energy?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 10:39:08 PM by Tesla »
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2008, 11:59:18 PM »

I dunno, compare say Chernobyl to a wind turbine failing and self destructing. Tell me again why nukes are a tad safer?

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2008, 12:21:35 AM »

::)

What about Windscale in the UK, Three Mile Island, Santa Susana Field Lab in California or Chernobyl?