Author Topic: Green Shit  (Read 2418 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Green Shit
« on: June 29, 2008, 05:14:49 PM »
We have an add on tv around here about how if we replace "just" 20% of all vehicles with hybrids we would save so much in CO2 emissions.  I am not against replacing cars but they never seem to take into consideration the energy and resources that go into building the cars :-\  Hybrids are nice and if you need a new car go for it but there are so many things that have a lot less impact on the environment than this.  Just turning off lights for one.  How about all those lights in cities, how many lights does the car dealership  need on at 2am Sunday night?  If you want to argue security put them on motion sensors. Most house I look at have almost no insulation in them but they will go out and buy all kinds of green shit that is green only in name but not want to spend where it counts.  I could go on forever on different wasteful things I see everyday that have simple solutions that are indeed green in name and practice.  :soapbox:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Green Shit
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 05:39:42 PM »
We have an add on tv around here about how if we replace "just" 20% of all vehicles with hybrids we would save so much in CO2 emissions.  I am not against replacing cars but they never seem to take into consideration the energy and resources that go into building the cars :-\  Hybrids are nice and if you need a new car go for it but there are so many things that have a lot less impact on the environment than this.  Just turning off lights for one.  How about all those lights in cities, how many lights does the car dealership  need on at 2am Sunday night?  If you want to argue security put them on motion sensors. Most house I look at have almost no insulation in them but they will go out and buy all kinds of green shit that is green only in name but not want to spend where it counts.  I could go on forever on different wasteful things I see everyday that have simple solutions that are indeed green in name and practice.  :soapbox:

I like the ones who pull out all their carpet and padding, even though it's in perfectly good condition, siding and roofing off their houses and replace it with some advertised, high fashion "green alternative"  and send all that old carpet,  padding, siding, shingles etc to the dump.

Oh yeah, that helps.

Fucking idiots!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 05:41:34 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Johnny

• Constant Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 06:53:27 PM »
if the morons would just stay home the problem would be solved.

Like level the Post Mall for starters and all the movie houses and anything else that attracts crowds should be taxed out of business.

vermont is full a stupid morons, biggest bunch of whiners about GREEN shit and the state runs an SUV convention all winter called the skiing industry.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 06:14:58 AM »
Well they are gonna keep building new cars every fucking year anyway. Might as well be green cars if the buying public demands it.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 10:59:22 AM »
Well they are gonna keep building new cars every fucking year anyway. Might as well be green cars if the buying public demands it.

Yes I agree but think of ll the waste in just scraping a car that is only a few years old and the energy used to create a new one.  You start getting in to true environmental cost in the long run rather that instant gratification.   Yes, they will continue making cars and they should be greener cars but it should not be done at the expense of the envirorment

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Dexter Morgan

• Karma Policeman of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 04:38:53 PM »
The technology is still in its infancy.  If there is no demand for more hybrid cars, then there is no revenue for auto companies to improve it's technology.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 04:49:33 PM »
There is an obvious solution for the medium term, nuclear power plants. Unfortunately there is a lot of opposition to them from the so called green lobby...

On a slightly different note, this might interest you. I intend to get my hands on this guys book when i get a chance...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/20/mackay_on_carbon_free_uk/

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 05:04:52 PM »
The technology is still in its infancy.  If there is no demand for more hybrid cars, then there is no revenue for auto companies to improve it's technology.

There is plenty of demand already and new cars should be green but think about how you said the industry is in it's infancy and the advances that could be made in just a few years.  Now think about how much energy goes into making a car production should continue but replacing so many cars right now would lock all those people into todays tech.  By replacing them as needed you get the best of both world full use of the energy that was used to produce the current cars and tech improvement as the industry grows

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 05:05:47 PM »
There is an obvious solution for the medium term, nuclear power plants. Unfortunately there is a lot of opposition to them from the so called green lobby...

On a slightly different note, this might interest you. I intend to get my hands on this guys book when i get a chance...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/20/mackay_on_carbon_free_uk/

No time now but will look later.. 

George Bernard Shaw

Teejay

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 05:31:49 AM »

Hybrids suck, the fuel savings are not all that great (similar sized diesel vehicles do actually better, say a VW Golf Diesel vs a Toyota Pirus), plus those batteries are really expensive to replace and not to mention the environmental damage which is caused by the mining for minerals needed to building those batteries.

I really think diesel is the wave of the future, we can develop algae and other microorganisms which can be grown to produce biodiesel. They would feed off agricultural waste, coal fired power station emissions, sewage, trash etc. Algae can also be farmed as well, including areas like the sea and deserts. Plenty of farmers doing it tough for various reasons can become farmers of algae. The whole producing biodiesel process can be carbon negative and plus we get to bankrupt countries like Saudi Arabia.  :green:

Diesel engines have come a lot way and Audi recently won the Le Mans 24 hour race in a diesel powered car. In Europe 50% of new car sales are diesel now.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 05:34:07 AM by Rain Man »

The_Chosen_One

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 06:53:16 AM »
I think the whole issue is shit because everyone is being conned by these groups that need money for their pissy little projects, like solar energy and other crap. There are only two forms of reliable energy, coal fired and nuclear. Solar is unreliable becuase you need these huge fucking panels to collect the heat, and most of it is lost in the transfer to the batteries. Wind farms are pretty much the same, because you would need a shitload of turbines to get a small amount of power. The coal will never run out, because with vulcanization and compression, coal is being produced all the time, and regardless what those fucktards say, there is enough oil and coal left to last for approximately the next 500 years. Nuclear fusion energy is cleaner, but seeing as nobody has done the research on it, and everybody thinks that anyone with uranium is planning WW3, no-one want to try it. Ethanol could be a good alternative for petrol, given that most cars ran on it back in the 1930s and 40s. It wasn't until the car companies changed their engines and the fuel companies changed their fuel around the time of the petrol crisis in the 70s that everybody became totally petrol reliant. LPG (Liquid Petroleum Gas) is half the price of unleaded petrol, but not many people have the sense to convert. Sure, we are running a bit low with water, but it's cyclical, and this global warming crap is a scare campaign by idiots who know fuck all about historical weather patterns. So I think we have a long way to go yet before we have to worry. What we can do, is to clean up the pollution in the streets by getting rid of the litter and Stop upgrading things just for the sake of fashion.

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 09:06:52 AM »
I think biofuels are where we have to go.  Although, if the US would stop using corn to make ethanol, things would be much better.  Brazil is energy independent, they use ethanol made from sugarcane which is twice as efficient as corn.

The problem that I see with most people is that they try to come up with one energy system to replace coal, which just doesn't make sense.  Of course solar power is going to suck in Scotland... although you might be able to use wind.  Wind might suck in Arizona, but solar would work awesome.  There's also Stirling engines which are much more efficient than photovoltaics.  Hydrogen power is mostly bullshit.  You're gaining some efficiency but mostly just moving the pollution upstream.  It's not going to be a single solution like coal is.  Coal is cheap, and until it becomes expensive, people are going to use it.
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline Christopher McCandless

• Wild Wanderer of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • "I HAVE HAD A HAPPY LIFE AND THANK THE LORD. GOODB
    • Into the Wild
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 10:43:04 AM »
I think biofuels are where we have to go.  Although, if the US would stop using corn to make ethanol, things would be much better.  Brazil is energy independent, they use ethanol made from sugarcane which is twice as efficient as corn.
Bad move, Biofuels harm the developing world by increasing food prices, meaning that people cannot afford to eat.
The problem that I see with most people is that they try to come up with one energy system to replace coal, which just doesn't make sense.  Of course solar power is going to suck in Scotland... although you might be able to use wind.  Wind might suck in Arizona, but solar would work awesome.  There's also Stirling engines which are much more efficient than photovoltaics.  Hydrogen power is mostly bullshit.  You're gaining some efficiency but mostly just moving the pollution upstream.  It's not going to be a single solution like coal is.  Coal is cheap, and until it becomes expensive, people are going to use it.
Hydrogen would work very well when combined with Nuclear Fission, though 500 years down the line we would be back in the fossil fuel situation with Uranium, unless of course Fusion is made to work.

Offline Dexter Morgan

• Karma Policeman of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 11:57:38 AM »

Hybrids suck, the fuel savings are not all that great (similar sized diesel vehicles do actually better, say a VW Golf Diesel vs a Toyota Pirus), plus those batteries are really expensive to replace and not to mention the environmental damage which is caused by the mining for minerals needed to building those batteries.

I really think diesel is the wave of the future, we can develop algae and other microorganisms which can be grown to produce biodiesel. They would feed off agricultural waste, coal fired power station emissions, sewage, trash etc. Algae can also be farmed as well, including areas like the sea and deserts. Plenty of farmers doing it tough for various reasons can become farmers of algae. The whole producing biodiesel process can be carbon negative and plus we get to bankrupt countries like Saudi Arabia.  :green:

Diesel engines have come a lot way and Audi recently won the Le Mans 24 hour race in a diesel powered car. In Europe 50% of new car sales are diesel now.
Diesels are horrible polluters and most of the batteries from hybrids are from recycled nickel anyway.  It's only a matter of time before we use Li-Ion batteries, which are more efficient and have less of an environmental impact.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 12:17:10 PM »
Li-Ion batteries batteries have there draw backs also,  ever throw one in a fire :o.  Fire fighters will have to get more training in fighting metal fires but I think this is the way it will go

George Bernard Shaw