Author Topic: Your Dream Car  (Read 3590 times)

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
Re: Your Dream Car
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2008, 08:36:59 AM »
Blue stingray corvette. Damn my depth perception.

George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2008, 08:50:39 AM »
Blue stingray corvette. Damn my depth perception.

I had a black one. It was a roadster version/convertable with a small block engine (350 cubic inches) so the handling was amazing, once I got used to the independent rear suspension.
Being mostly a Mustang, Firebird and Camaro driver, I had quite a bit of learning to do (and wiped out many times, trying) about using a Corvette. Same problem with the yellow sixty six Jaguar XKE I had.
The problem is that, once you are used to powersliding around a corner at high speed with the pedal down in a standard solid rear suspension, locked up or limited slip differential, car then the independent suspension causes you some grief!

In a solid/single rear suspension car, when you lay on the power it squats down, lowering your center of gravity and increasing traction. Powering on too hard in an independent suspension car, causes the rear end to raise UP on one side in response to the torque action and it raises your center of gravity. You have to really use some finesse to drive a Jag or a Corvette hard. It took me a long time to understand what was happening to me.

:D

What do you mean, "Damn my depth perception?"
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 08:57:17 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2008, 09:14:31 AM »
I can never feel comfortable behind the wheel of a car because my depth perception is so bad.
George:I'd say I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not. I excel at not giving a shit. Experience has taught me that interest begets expectation, and expectation beget disappointment, so the key to avoiding disappointment is to avoid interest. A equals B equals C Equals A, or whatever. I also don't have a lot of interest in being a good person or a bad person. From what I can tell, either way, you're screwed. Bad people are punished by society's laws, and good people are punished by Murphy's Law

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2008, 09:17:16 AM »
I can never feel comfortable behind the wheel of a car because my depth perception is so bad.

Oh!

That's sad. I love to drive fun cars.

I fucking HATE traffic, though! I need an open road.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Silk

• Complicated
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Trust Me
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2008, 09:31:20 AM »

Oh!

Do you have any raceways in your area? I know a lot of car collectors go there on weekends in my state.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2008, 09:33:47 AM »

Oh!

Do you have any raceways in your area? I know a lot of car collectors go there on weekends in my state.

Yes, several of them. I live near Indianapolis.

I don't have a car to enter these days, though. Once the kids came, I got rid of most of my "hobbies."
The music interest can not be lessened in any way, though. It is an essential part of me.

Offline Phlexor

• Useful Idiot of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Less Than Meets The Eye
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2008, 10:52:05 AM »

Oh!

Driving after 2am is nice, the roads are dead. Plus cars are easier to see, assuming they are using their headlights.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2008, 05:50:06 AM »

Oh!

Driving after 2am is nice, the roads are dead. Plus cars are easier to see, assuming they are using their headlights.

I have never been able to sleep and used to love going for rides at that time.  Sometimes on a cars only highway near me there would be nobody around for miles and it was not lighted.  I'd would get up to about 80mph and cut the lights till I saw others in the distance.  I know it was dangerous but at the time 19-20 years old it was fun
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2008, 09:38:26 PM »
I have no depth perception and I have been driving for nearly twelve years. Don't let it stop you! You may take longer to learn but you will get there in the end and may become a better driver than most because of your vigilance.

I also drove a forklift for seven years. A lot of the time I used shadows to judge depth.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2008, 11:32:51 PM »
I have no depth perception and I have been driving for nearly twelve years. Don't let it stop you! You may take longer to learn but you will get there in the end and may become a better driver than most because of your vigilance.

I also drove a forklift for seven years. A lot of the time I used shadows to judge depth.

Renaeden on a forklift?

Damn, you just became my new dreamgirl. Can you drive backwards, too? (hawt!)

:D

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2008, 01:03:48 AM »
Yes I can drive backwards. I also used to drive a front end loader.
 :eyebrows:
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2008, 03:18:41 AM »
My dream car is a Hummer encased in cement that the owner was forced to pay for and watch its encasement.
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.

Offline enronh

• Intensity's Bicycle Repairman
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2008, 05:35:55 PM »
eh

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore