Author Topic: Real Estate Collapse  (Read 1543 times)

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Real Estate Collapse
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 11:32:26 AM »
Hope things get back on track soon for you guys.

me too.  :hug:

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 11:49:47 AM »

I'm actually a pretty good drywall man and when I first lost my last job I did that for a while to make ends meet. I also helped one of my old co-workers to finish an addition he had done.

i've always wanted to learn how to build dry stone walls, she said, wistfully.

Uhm ...
That's something different. You're talking about dry stacked rock walls made without mortar, right? LOVE 'em!

We call papered gypsum board, "drywall" over here. I worked with "plaster,"  but I have made fake brick, fake adobe and fake field stone walls for photo sets in the past. Painting them to authenticity by layers of washing, drybrushing, highlighting is one of my talents.

The last "outdoor brick wall" I made on a flat wall of a photo studio was only twelve feet wide, but I forced the perspective and you would swear that it was fifty or more feet wide in the background of a portrait.
:D
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 11:50:42 AM »

I'm actually a pretty good drywall man and when I first lost my last job I did that for a while to make ends meet. I also helped one of my old co-workers to finish an addition he had done.

i've always wanted to learn how to build dry stone walls, she said, wistfully.

Uhm ...
That's something different. You're talking about dry stacked rock walls made without mortar, right? LOVE 'em!

We call papered gypsum board, "drywall" over here. I worked with "plaster,"  but I have made fake brick, fake adobe and fake field stone walls for photo sets in the past. Painting them to authenticity by layers of washing, drybrushing, highlighting is one of my talents.

The last "outdoor brick wall" I made on a flat wall of a photo studio was only twelve feet wide, but I forced the perspective and you would swear that it was fifty or more feet wide in the background of a portrait.
:D

yeah, i mean those gorgeous old stone walls you see rambling around the british countrside.  :heart:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 11:53:45 AM »

yeah, i mean those gorgeous old stone walls you see rambling around the british countrside.  :heart:

There are a few of those in northern Indiana, built as the Amish cleared the land for farming. :heart:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 12:46:45 PM »

There are a few of those in northern Indiana, built as the Amish cleared the land for farming. :heart:

hey, dawg, let's get together with your music collection, my singing (and i'll even play guitar with my navel showing - yes i have a very good memory), my cooking (and some of yours, cos i want to try it), and we'll make baeutiful music and dry stone walls together.  :-*

sound like a plan?

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 01:09:54 PM »

hey, dawg, let's get together with your music collection, my singing (and i'll even play guitar with my navel showing - yes i have a very good memory), my cooking (and some of yours, cos i want to try it), and we'll make baeutiful music and dry stone walls together.  :-*

sound like a plan?

Sounds like the start of a good plan, but quite a few details need to be worked over, yet.

Proximity pops to mind, along with a possible instance of The Eyebrow Guy's wrath and the same from a very accomplished Eyebrow Gal who I know quite well. There is also the set of major complications associated with Thing 1 and Thing 2, who live at my present address. (they would steal your heart, for sure, despite your resistance)

This plan may need some more work.

(the sentiment is warmly welcomed, though)
 :-*

*stops, just in time*

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2008, 01:13:29 PM »

Damn, my practical side!

What a burden.

Offline Tesla

• The Dark Horse of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • I'm Tesla, and I'm getting sick and tired.
    • My cafepress store
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 01:49:06 PM »
Thanks.  Amy has a part time job, and I'm still looking to get my next job.  I applied at a great place this morning which supposedly uses a lot of sustainable building practices.  I really hope to get that.
I came to this world with nothing
and I leave with nothing but love,
everything else is just borrowed.

Fuck it, we'll do it live.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2008, 02:39:01 PM »

sound like a plan?

Sounds like the start of a good plan, but quite a few details need to be worked over, yet.

Proximity pops to mind, along with a possible instance of The Eyebrow Guy's wrath and the same from a very accomplished Eyebrow Gal who I know quite well. There is also the set of major complications associated with Thing 1 and Thing 2, who live at my present address. (they would steal your heart, for sure, despite your resistance)

This plan may need some more work.

(the sentiment is warmly welcomed, though)

*stops, just in time*

did i mention anything untoward?  i was planning on a nice, friendly dry-stone-wall-building adventure, you rudely minded chap, you.  :laugh:

mind you, given it's me doing the planning, i don't blame you for thinking something filthy must be involved somewhere.  ;)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2008, 02:43:10 PM »
Thanks.  Amy has a part time job, and I'm still looking to get my next job.  I applied at a great place this morning which supposedly uses a lot of sustainable building practices.  I really hope to get that.

Good luck
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Johnny

• Constant Poster
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2008, 05:45:58 PM »

The road I'm on is lined with rocks people dragged out of the feilds hundreds of years ago, not much field left, mostly woods now.

Somebody did some nice landscaping at my house using the stone around here. That is one bust ass job and looks good.

housing mess has many causes, all put together it turned into a total mess.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2008, 05:51:45 PM »
I am jealous.   I need space

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Johnny

• Constant Poster
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2008, 05:52:31 PM »

Offline Johnny

• Constant Poster
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2008, 05:55:23 PM »
I am jealous.   I need space

I'm happy as shit to be out if that 1/4 acre CT subdivision place

garage is as big as the house, yet it's packed with stuff

I'll get some pictures tomorrow from the roof of the garage, I was on it today and it was like wow good veiw

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2008, 05:57:20 PM »
I'm stuck or now as my wife is a teacher and makes good money where she is

George Bernard Shaw