Educational

Author Topic: How are you feeling right now?  (Read 124107 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: How are you feeling right now?
« Reply #8430 on: December 26, 2010, 01:28:47 PM »

Got through the the three funerals this week OK, made a decent showing of my duties at work, Took the kids out to shop for "secret presents"  for their mum, managed the stress caused by so many strangers, generally.

As I sit in "comfort,"  I am more aware than ever of just how close i am to surgery, regarding my hip.  When I stop to relax, I really hurt.

I am scared.

Is it scheduled yet or are you waiting until you can't bear it anymore?

My hip surgery ( a minor cartilage replacement with a teflon/carbon substitute, at this point - depending upon the degree of bone degradation, of course) is tentatively scheduled for February twenty fourth, on my day off.

I am told that I will be on my feet that same day and back to work within one week. This is considered very minor, as long as my joint is still salvageable. If the joint must be replaced (both ball and socket) with a stainless steel substitute, then the recovery time could extend to the three or four week time frame. Roughly half that time if only one part of the joint is damaged beyond repair.

Unfortunately, what generally happens to a "guy who hates doctors and decides to suffer through four years of pain rather than have the damage attended early"  (paraphrasing the way  my doctor put it) is that his continued tolerance of the pain causes his hip socket in his pelvis to wear so thin (due to his cartilage being destroyed, allowing raw contact between his ball and socket)  or even get a "hole worn through it,"  that it can not be salvaged and a plate will have to be installed into his pelvis, along with the teflon implant and often the ball on the femur will have to be replaced as well.

That all means screwing a bunch metal onto a bunch of bone and hoping it all "takes" without complication.

In the broad scheme, this is still considered as routine surgery, these days, but it still scares the fuck out of me.

:violin:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 01:31:16 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline SBI_Patience

• It all happens in the Aspies Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Patience² = Banter&¾
    • Midnight's Instagram
« Reply #8431 on: December 26, 2010, 01:30:49 PM »
I think I'm just gonna describe it in picture.

Formerly known as superboyian.
i2 is well better than watching daytime TV. :zoinks:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8432 on: December 26, 2010, 01:37:11 PM »

Got through the the three funerals this week OK, made a decent showing of my duties at work, Took the kids out to shop for "secret presents"  for their mum, managed the stress caused by so many strangers, generally.

As I sit in "comfort,"  I am more aware than ever of just how close i am to surgery, regarding my hip.  When I stop to relax, I really hurt.

I am scared.

My hip surgery ( a minor cartilage replacement with a teflon/carbon substitute, at this point - depending upon the degree of bone degradation, of course) is tentatively scheduled for February twenty fourth, on my day off.

I am told that I will be on my feet that same day and back to work within one week. This is considered very minor, as long as my joint is still salvageable. If the joint must be replaced (both ball and socket) with a stainless steel substitute, then the recovery time could extend to the three or four week time frame. Roughly half that time if only one part of the joint is damaged beyond repair.

Unfortunately, what generally happens to a "guy who hates doctors and decides to suffer through four years of pain rather than have the damage attended early"  (paraphrasing the way  my doctor put it) is that his continued tolerance of the pain causes his hip socket in his pelvis to wear so thin (due to his cartilage being destroyed, allowing raw contact between his ball and socket)  or even get a "hole worn through it,"  that it can not be salvaged and a plate will have to be installed into his pelvis, along with the teflon implant and often the ball on the femur will have to be replaced as well.

That all means screwing a bunch metal onto a bunch of bone and hoping it all "takes" without complication.

In the broad scheme, this is still considered as routine surgery, these days, but it still scares the fuck out of me.

Yikes hope it goes well

I am feeling a bit dizzy from paint fumes
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

richard

« Reply #8433 on: December 26, 2010, 06:46:15 PM »
happy

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8434 on: December 27, 2010, 02:16:55 AM »
Tired. Listless.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8435 on: December 27, 2010, 02:25:38 AM »

I am scared.

Good luck with it.  I understand feeling scared because I was scared about the surgery I had on my ankle, which sounded less involved than yours.  If the ball and/or socket is damaged, then you would have to limit weightbearing on that side for a few weeks? 

richard

« Reply #8436 on: December 27, 2010, 12:05:04 PM »
my punk hurts for some reason

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #8437 on: December 27, 2010, 05:08:53 PM »

I am scared.

Good luck with it.  I understand feeling scared because I was scared about the surgery I had on my ankle, which sounded less involved than yours.  If the ball and/or socket is damaged, then you would have to limit weightbearing on that side for a few weeks? 

I am told that in the worst case scenario (a replacement of the cartilage, the hip socket and the ball of the femur), I will still be on my feet within a couple of days. The metal parts are securely screwed into the existing bone and there is no healing time for the metal/bone connection (either it works or it breaks) The recovery (designed to re-teach the muscles how to reform themselves into making things work together again) will take place over the following three to six weeks, wearing a brace, doing specific exercises tethered from above to a tread mill for about an hour per day,  etc.

Thanks for the well wishes.  I still have a lot of time to dread the procedure.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #8438 on: December 27, 2010, 05:19:08 PM »

I am scared.

I am told that in the worst case scenario (a replacement of the cartilage, the hip socket and the ball of the femur), I will still be on my feet within a couple of days. The metal parts are securely screwed into the existing bone and there is no healing time for the metal/bone connection (either it works or it breaks) The recovery (designed to re-teach the muscles how to reform themselves into making things work together again) will take place over the following three to six weeks, wearing a brace, doing specific exercises tethered from above to a tread mill for about an hour per day,  etc.

Thanks for the well wishes.  I still have a lot of time to dread the procedure.
I hope that by the end of March, you will be happy that you did go through all this, because of things being so much better. Till then, wishing you all the best in keeping the demons of dread away as much as possible.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #8439 on: December 27, 2010, 05:21:03 PM »
Headachy and feeling the results of intense coughing.
Also tired, last night was broken into way too many short naps.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8440 on: December 27, 2010, 05:45:20 PM »
Tired. I should go. :yawn:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #8441 on: December 27, 2010, 08:37:43 PM »
Grateful to have a home, heat, hot water, electricity, food and all the little comforts.   :2thumbsup:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #8442 on: December 27, 2010, 08:39:40 PM »
Grateful to have a home, heat, hot water, electricity, food and all the little comforts.   :2thumbsup:

You've got the Shelties with you?   ;)
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #8443 on: December 27, 2010, 08:46:37 PM »

You've got the Shelties with you?   ;)

Not till New Year's Eve!  :green:  :heart:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline punkdrew

• News Box Feature
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • TURN UP THE SIGNAL-WIPE OUT THE NOISE
« Reply #8444 on: December 27, 2010, 08:54:36 PM »
My stomach is griping a bit. Probably the chili cheese fries burrito. Hope I don't have ulcer.

Grateful to be sober, having acquired at long last some real spiritual discipline. 

Looking forward to an inspired New Year!
Alex179: Everything that is living is dying.   It will stop dying when it is dead.
"Earth is the cradle of Humanity. But one cannot live in a cradle forever."--Konstantin Tsiolkovsky
The law is the law. Rules are rules. God is God. A is A. Black is black. I want my baby back.