Author Topic: Ask Benoit  (Read 4929 times)

Offline Benoit

• Fresh Meat
Re: Ask Benoit
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2006, 02:57:21 PM »
Even though you have already told me this before in private, enlighten us as to why alcohol is overrated?
Because it's bad for your health. It damages your brain permanently.

Etanol (the medical term for alcohol) is toxic. It acts as a neurodepressant that retards the connexions between neurons, and then kills them off with its toxicity, which closes the links between them.

The liver isn't made to clean out the mess from your blood, and will create cetonic bodies that cause headaches and in large quantities, hung-overs. Repeated use of alcohol in moderation will damage your liver so badly that you will develop cyrrhosis (sp?).
who are you, benoit?
I am who I am. :)
would you the friend peegai spoke of, by any chance?
Yes. :)

Offline Beowulf

• Frequent Poster
    • Click Here
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2006, 03:00:16 PM »
Benoit, who is the cooler Benoit: French mathematician Mandelbrot or WWE Wrestler Chris?
"Someday a real rain will come ..."

Eamonn

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2006, 03:34:44 PM »
Because it's bad for your health. It damages your brain permanently.

Etanol (the medical term for alcohol) is toxic. It acts as a neurodepressant that retards the connexions between neurons, and then kills them off with its toxicity, which closes the links between them.

The liver isn't made to clean out the mess from your blood, and will create cetonic bodies that cause headaches and in large quantities, hung-overs. Repeated use of alcohol in moderation will damage your liver so badly that you will develop cyrrhosis (sp?).

Baloney! Regularly drinking alcohol in moderation is proven to help people have a healthy heart and live longer. Unless you're a drunken bufoon that cant help but drink all the time or a binge drinker who cant handle it then alcohol is good for you. It's good for stress relief and relaxes the mind.
who are you, benoit?
I am who I am. :)

And what i am needs no excuses,
i deal my own deck, sometimes the aces sometimes the dueces,
It's one life and there's no return and no deposit,
One life so it's time to open up your closet,
Life's not worth a damn till you can shout out
I AM WHAT I AM!

Offline Benoit

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2006, 07:16:48 AM »
Benoit, who is the cooler Benoit: French mathematician Mandelbrot or WWE Wrestler Chris?
I don't know either of them. I don't like math, and I don't like wrestling, so I couldn't say.
Regularly drinking alcohol in moderation is proven to help people have a healthy heart and live longer.
You heal your circulation and damage your brain. Hard to tell who's winning here.
Unless you're a drunken bufoon that cant help but drink all the time or a binge drinker who cant handle it then alcohol is good for you.
Nothing harmful will become good in moderation. Your liver would beg to differ with you.
It's good for stress relief and relaxes the mind.
That's because it numbs your senses by affecting your brain.

Eamonn

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2006, 07:47:30 AM »
Quote from Wikipedia " Several studies have shown that regular consumption of moderate amounts of alcohol (i.e., below recommended daily limits from US or UK sources) can lower the incidence of coronary heart disease and raise the level of high density lipoprotein cholesterol ("good cholesterol"). [citation needed]

Moderate drinkers and consumers of alcohol tend to have better health and live longer than those who are either abstainers or heavy drinkers. In addition to having fewer heart attacks and strokes, moderate consumers of alcoholic beverages (beer, wine or distilled spirits or liquor) are generally less likely to suffer hypertension or high blood pressure, peripheral artery disease, Alzheimer's disease, and the common cold. Sensible drinking also appears to be beneficial in reducing or preventing diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, bone fractures and osteoporosis, kidney stones, digestive ailments, stress and depression, poor cognition and memory, Parkinson's disease, hepatitis A, pancreatic cancer, macular degeneration (a major cause of blindness), angina pectoris, duodenal ulcer, erectile dysfunction, hearing loss, gallstones, liver disease, and poor physical condition in the elderly."

I think i will have a drink to celebrate this jolly fact of life. To good health!

Offline Benoit

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2006, 10:35:10 AM »
Bear in mind that:

1) That's Wikipedia, which anyone can edit.
2) Many studies are bought out by alcoholic drinks companies.
3) It still doesn't negate the brain damage.

As long as you can't disprove what I said about drain damage and cyrrhosis(sp?), your point is pretty much moot.

Eamonn

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2006, 10:48:45 AM »
Bear in mind that:

1) That's Wikipedia, which anyone can edit.
2) Many studies are bought out by alcoholic drinks companies.
3) It still doesn't negate the brain damage.

As long as you can't disprove what I said about drain damage and cyrrhosis(sp?), your point is pretty much moot.

You've got some gaul, coming here and hitting out with that (get it, Gaul). Anyone can edit wikipedia but given it's international prestige, it's very hard to put out misinformation without it being spotted and promptly deleted. Some studies are brought out by the anti-alcohol lobby. So what? Most doctors, scientists and experts are in agreement that alcohol in moderation is good for your health. Try and prove otherwise and that repeated use of alcohol in MODERATION will "damage your liver so badly that you will develop cyrrohosis", or admit that YOUR point is moot.

The balls in your court. Afteral,l it's you that's making the wild claims about alcohol without providing any credible evidence. Along with conventional western scientific wisdom, i happen to reject your assertions out of hand.

peegai

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2006, 10:51:28 AM »
I agree with Benoit's assertions because it's blatantly obvious that the brain damage of alcohol consumption shows with Eamonn.

:p

duncvis

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2006, 10:52:23 AM »
I'd ccomment, but I'm pished. *hic*  :P

peegai

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2006, 12:28:53 PM »
I'd ccomment, but I'm pished. *hic*  :P

XD

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2006, 12:35:59 PM »
Benoit, if given one day left to live due to unrelated reasons, would you decline to kill a few brain cells to enjoy a brand new world of altered sensation?  Especially given that you would not live to see the hang over?
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline Benoit

• Fresh Meat
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2006, 01:25:16 PM »
Anyone can edit wikipedia but given it's international prestige, it's very hard to put out misinformation without it being spotted and promptly deleted.
You'd think that, wouldn't you. I'm a member of Wikipedia, and I have seen misinformation on there for months on end. Until I fixed it, that is.
Some studies are brought out by the anti-alcohol lobby. So what?
If you're trying to say with this that scientists publishing studies are not impartial, then this is going nowhere. The difference is that scientists aren't being paid to publish anti-alcoholic results.
Most doctors, scientists and experts are in agreement that alcohol in moderation is good for your health.
They are in agreement that it is good for the hearth, which IS true. But they forget the side-effect, which is under-published.
Try and prove otherwise and that repeated use of alcohol in MODERATION will "damage your liver so badly that you will develop cyrrohosis", or admit that YOUR point is moot.
Learn to read. I proved it earlier in this thread. We didn't evolve to handle this mess in our blood, so the liver has extra work to do to clean it.
Afteral,l it's you that's making the wild claims about alcohol without providing any credible evidence.
I provided evidence. I explained what exactly alcohol does.

Since you went the Wikipedia way, look at what I found on Wikipedia. ON THE SAME PAGE:
Ethanol is quickly absorbed into the bloodstream and reaches the brain.
The CNS (Central Nervous System) depressant effect likely is due to ethanol's acting on the BK channels.[1] A BK channel is a calcium dependent potassium channel. Ethanol potentiates the activity of BK channels, which reduces the excitability of the neuron. [2] It has been known to act on GABA receptors, but this is probably just a secondary effect from activation of the BK channels. Its effect on GABA receptors is probably similar to the action of benzodiazepines such as diazepam. GABA is an inhibitory neurotransmitter, meaning it acts to slow down or inhibit nerve impulses. Ethanol increases the effectiveness of GABA acting through GABAA receptors. When used over a long time, ethanol changes the number and type of GABA receptors, and this is thought to be the cause of the violent withdrawal effects of alcoholics.

Ethanol also interferes with synaptic firing and causes the death of brain cells. This cell death is caused by an increased concentration of intracellular calcium which has several effects. It weakens the electrochemical gradient across the cell membranes. It is this gradient which is the motive force of membrane pumps and channels (cells, especially neurons, quickly die without proper membrane pump and channel function). Calcium also activates proteases that cause degradation of cell proteins.

There is also direct damage to cell membranes from free-radicals that are produced from the alcohol metabolism.
And:
The liver contains a special enzyme (alcohol dehydrogenase) that breaks down alcohols into acetaldehyde, which is turned into acetic acid by the enzyme acetaldehyde dehydrogenase, and then another enzyme converts the acetate into fats or carbon dioxide and water. The fats are mostly deposited locally which leads to the characteristic "beer belly". Chronic drinkers, however, so tax this metabolic pathway that things go awry: fatty acids build up as plaques in the capillaries around liver cells and those cells begin to die, which leads to the liver disease cirrhosis. The liver is part of the body's filtration system and if it is damaged then certain toxins build up thus leading to symptoms of jaundice.
Want more evidence?

http://www.hscbklyn.edu/SUNY/Biochem/ALCOHOL/alcohol_overview.html
http://www.cbu.edu/~seisen/AlcoholicLiverDisease/
http://www.science.org.au/nova/052/052box01.htm
Benoit, if given one day left to live due to unrelated reasons, would you decline to kill a few brain cells to enjoy a brand new world of altered sensation?  Especially given that you would not live to see the hang over?
Yes, I would decline. I'd be stupid to damage myself unknowingly and lose control of myself.

duncvis

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2006, 04:13:05 PM »
Suit yourself. I'll drink yours then :P

Eamonn

« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2006, 06:55:42 PM »
Benoit, you're a fundie retard. You need to relax and have a drink and then maybe you'll come back down to reality afterwards. Chronic drinking is not drinking in moderation so all you have proved is that you cant read simple sentences without getting them mixed up in your brain and jumping to wildly exaggerated conclusions. English, motherfucker, can you read it?

'Hey guys, eating lots of food until you get bloated and get constipation is bad for you, hence eating in moderation must be really bad for you and give you obesity and constipation too. Or even eating just one morsel will do it. Duh!'

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2006, 08:42:02 PM »
Or even eating just one morsel will do it. Duh!'

homeopathic obesity?