Author Topic: Giving places/stuff/people nicknames  (Read 2087 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Giving places/stuff/people nicknames
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2017, 11:46:29 PM »
McDonald's here is commonly known as Macca's.

That slightly confuses me, since I've also heard Paul McCartney referred to as Macca.  :tard:

The implications are staggering.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Yuri Bezmenov

• Drunk-assed squadron leader
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Communist propaganda is demoralizing the West.
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2018, 05:39:02 PM »
Wal*Mart= Satan's Five and Dime

Taco Bell= Toxic Hell

Jack in the Box= Jack in the Crack

Target= Tarjaye

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2018, 01:30:35 AM »
When I was a little kid I used to call the big shopping mall near my grandmother's house "the big donut". It was the first really big shopping mall in Sydney.

It had a large, multi-level space in the middle and shops around the outside - pretty much a standard shopping mall design. I figured that the "hole" in the middle was like the hole in a donut.

When my son was a toddler he used to come up with his own names for every house, apartment, shopping mall and so on. We lived in one city when he was a baby and moved away for a couple of years, returning when he was 4 years old. He would see places that he was familiar with, like the big apartment building that we used to live in he said "I remember that place, that's the red house, my friend Ricky lives there". We went to a shopping mall where we used to go bowling and he said "I remember this place, this is the bowling mall". It seemed like he already had names in his head (which he never said out loud) for the places he was familiar with when he was barely talking, and then a couple of years later when he was talking (non-fucking-stop mind you) he remembered those names.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2018, 11:08:18 AM »
When The PR was a toddler she would call

Burger King = Burner King
French toast sticks - Fro Sticks
PA = Lucius (as in Malfoy)
Grandfather Lester = Pawpaw U
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:10:37 AM by Queen Victoria »
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2018, 05:28:27 PM »
Husband calls his ipad a tampad.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2018, 07:57:30 PM »
I call the major household rubbish collection we have once a year, junk out the front.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2018, 11:05:22 AM »
I tried to plus you grey area for the 'cunt' post. But the forum software was busy blowing goats at the time and told me I already had for some reason.

Crowbegotten tamponsucking sack of bog's dollocks that it is at times.

I do sometimes.

For my stalker, I have a nickname, well, more of an affectionate personal pet name, although I won't post it or speak it publicly, its something only we know. It came about though because of how she looks when she's asleep. That is a very special sort of nickname, if you know what I mean, which is why I won't publicly post what it is.

I often call my lab 'the skunkworks'

Some of the things in it:

White phosphorus 'WP, willy pete, willy peter' (the latter two are army slang for it when used in incendiary munitions)

Carbon tetrachloride 'C-tet'
Triphenylphosphine 'TPP'
methylene chloride (CH2Cl2) 'dichlor' or 'di-clo', 'DCM (short for dichloromethane)'
Phosphorus (in general, without regard to the allotrope, but typically in reference either to red phosphorus or white phosphorus, mainly because these are the two most common allotropes and the ones I would deal with generally most of all) 'phossy' or just 'phos' White phosphorus 'White phos' for example, or just plain 'phos' or 'phossy' for any of them.

perchloroethylene 'perk'
4-dimethylaminopyridine 'para-DMAP' pronounced 'para dee-map'
n-butyric anhydride 'distilled eau de barf', whilst the acid, n-butyric acid, 'eau de barf'
Sodium-potassium alloy 'NaK', pronounced to rhyme with 'back' or 'black' , as 'nack'
Tetrachloroethane 'tetra'

The act of recrystallization often shortened to ''rextyl'n'' or in past tense 'recksd' (rendered phonetically, there isn't really a spelling for it', as in 'end product reckst/recksd until melting point became satisfactory' or 'it was given a rexy or two'  pronounced 'wreck-sea' or 'reck-see'

Lithium aluminium hydride 'LAH, 'lith-al'
sodium borohydride (in context, its obvious) shortened to 'boro' or Na-boro'

And sometimes I've a habit of using rather archaic names for some things in my personal chemistry notebooks, although I won't say exactly what, since that might be a little too personally identifiable.

Lol, here's a funny one though, not in my personal journals, but helional, 3-(1,3-Benzodioxol-5-yl)-2-methylpropanal , I know in some circles as 'voldemelon' or 'voldemal' the latter short for 'voldemort aldehyde', and the former a similar derivation from 'Voldemort' from the harry potter series of books/films, the chemical has a melon-ish scent, and for a while in certain circles, before catching the attention of the filth, this particular chemical was rather hush hush, 'that which shall not be named', 'voldemal' 'voldemort aldehyde' 'voldy-melon' and a few similarly derived terms alluding to the odor plus 'he who shall not be named'

Its an MDA precursor, via beckmann rearrangement of the aldoxime to the terminal amide, then hoffmann degradation to yield MDA (3,4-methylenedioxyamphetamine). And part of somebody's hidden rainy day fund.

A book, authored by Vladimir Kren and Ladislav Cvak, called 'the genus Claviceps' (this is a book on Ergot fungi, which are species in the genus Claviceps, of ascomycete fungi, parasites on rye, various other cereal grains and wild grasses and known for both a rather interesting history, also for medical use as refined derivatives even now used in obstetrics medicine, also one of the alkaloids, ergotamine, is used as its tartrate salt for migraine relief, although the fungus itself, cultures of it productive of alkaloids (and therefore, useful) are HIGHLY toxic in a really, really nasty, permanently disfiguring if not lethal way, involving gangrene of toes, feet, legs, arms, hands, fingers, noses ears etc. turning black, and dry-rotting off leaving naught but stumps, along with convulsant effects depending on the strain, and delirious hallucinatory effects due to the alkaloids derivation from lysergic acid) The book The Genus Claviceps  shortened to 'TGC'. (I bought myself a hard-copy, managed to find one for quite a considerable sum under £100-150 which was fucking sweet. Just a bit under £50 IIRC :)

And of course a couple of people here, renaeden-'ren' '(the/our) Renster' and pyraxis-'raxy

For some reason 'raxy just feels like it fits you pyraxis, in a good way, like a flattering button-up leather trench might, once one has worn it and kinda worn into it if that makes sense, like happens with leather stuff. I get that feeling from the leather coats and boots I have now, bar one set of combat boots.

They've gotten comfier with age.

And a bit of a dirty chemist joke about SN2 type nucleophilic substitution 'butt-fuck substitution' 'bum-fuck reaction' and the leaving group, 'the rape sprog', (since the incoming nucleophile in an SN2 nucleophilic substitution is said to 'attack from the back side') it makes for quite a few suggestive filthy chemist's innuendo jokes.)

Like if I were dating a fellow autie chemist, and a kinky one, I might say 'hey wanna SN2?' if referring to, well...her taking it up the arse :spazz:
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2018, 10:49:30 PM »
My friend has nicknamed his son "Frosty".

On account of how he spent 9 years in the deep freeze before being used to make his mother pregnant, and joining his 9-year-old twin sister.

My wife calls me "Mr Dutch Oven".
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2018, 11:45:58 PM »

On account of how he spent 9 years in the deep freeze before being used to make his mother pregnant, and joining his 9-year-old twin sister.

I was thinking of giving you a nickname too. "Goofy Mother fucker" is heading the mental list
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2018, 11:51:15 PM »

I was thinking of giving you a nickname too. "Goofy Mother fucker" is heading the mental list

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2018, 11:56:59 PM »

I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2018, 03:32:39 AM »
Skipton = Skippy (although I wasn't aware of the kangaroo) - basically, thinking of it as a place for pies and pints.  No-one calls it that there.

A beer emblematic of Skipton:

« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 03:45:51 AM by Tequila »

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2018, 11:51:21 AM »
There's always the good old fashioned 'willy pete' for white phosphorus.

And 'hypo', often used for the photo chemical sodium thiosulfate, more familar, although  I don't use it for the purpose of cooking ice, I know of those who do, as shorthand for hypophosphorous acid. Used along with iodine in a similar sort of pseudoephedrine/ephedrine reduction to meth, although due to its potential to generate deadly phosphine gas if overheated, not a risk I am prepared to take, as PH3 is a most objectionable chemical. Its extremely toxic, it smells foul, if one is fortunate enough, if smelling it at all to survive the experience, a rotting fishy kind of stink, and generally phosphine is co-generated with P2H6, diphosphine, which is pyrophoric, igniting spontaneously on contact with air, and if one is fortunate, burning both itself and the phosphine awa before it can poison anybody fatally.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.