Educational

Author Topic: Breast feeding in public  (Read 1526 times)

Offline jman

• Road warrior pimpdaddy of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Breast feeding in public
« on: February 29, 2008, 12:28:17 PM »
What is everyone's thoughts on breast feeding in public? Personally I see no problem with breast feeding in public if a baby is hungry, it has to eat, besides who wants to eat their meal in a bathroom?  ::)

Of course I may be biased because I am guy

what do you guys think? discuss.

Sophgay

Re: Breast feeding in public
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 12:31:21 PM »
I see no problem with it either
Complaining about something like that is stupid
And tbh, what would they rather have: a woman discretely breastfeeding (they don't HAVE to look ffs), or a screaming baby crying because he's hungry?
I mean I do like kids, but they're fucking noisy as hell sometimes, and I'd rather have a woman breastfeeding than listen to a baby crying lol

ozymandias

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 12:33:14 PM »
I don't have a problem with it.  Most women carry blankets or shawls to allow the baby to breast feed publicly and you'd never know what was going on.

Offline jman

• Road warrior pimpdaddy of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 12:34:31 PM »
I see no problem with it either
Complaining about something like that is stupid
And tbh, what would they rather have: a woman discretely breastfeeding (they don't HAVE to look ffs), or a screaming baby crying because he's hungry?
I mean I do like kids, but they're fucking noisy as hell sometimes, and I'd rather have a woman breastfeeding than listen to a baby crying lol

ha ha I agree, screaming babies annoy me too, in fact kids in general annoy me, which is why I may not  ever have them. This kind of reminds me of this condom comericial:

Kosmonaut

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 12:42:48 PM »
I'd rather they didn't do it if I was eating.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 12:53:01 PM »
I breastfed my daughter in semi-public a few times, but I used a light blanket over her head.

I have no problems at all with mothers breastfeeding their babies in public, whether they use a blanket to cover up or not.

Apparently, some people do have problems with mothers breastfeeding babies in public, however:

My public breastfeeding story- what to do now?

I am on vacation with my family- 5 of us including mom and dad. We went to Elitch Gardens Theme Park in Denver, CO (Formerly Six Flags). I was nursing my 5 month old son by the side of the wave pool in the water park. I was in the section with the plastic lounge chairs where food is allowed, not right in the water. I was approached by a park security guard who told me that complaints had been made and that I would have to breastfeed elsewhere or cover up; go to the restrooms and nurse or use a towel. I stated that by Colorado state law, I am allowed to breastfeed my child anywhere public or private that he is allowed to be. At this point another security guard got involved and was more adamant that I go elsewhere and it is just "common sense" to cover up or be elsewhere. I repeatedly stated colorado breastfeeding law and informed them that I was not going anywhere or covering up (he hates being covered up), could they please stop harassing me and let me feed my child. He stated they would kick me out of the park for this. I stated that I paid for the tickets and was not going anywhere as I was not breaking any posted park rules. At this point my child was getting more and more upset because I was having a hard time focusing on holding him and helping him latch on properly. This conversation progressed until my son was screaming very loudly at the top of his lungs and I was visibly shaking and upset. I did start to get louder but managed to keep my temper despite my child crying. I did however start crying too and begged them to leave me be. They called a supervisor over to talk to me. At this point my husband had come back from playing with the other children in the wave pool and I asked him to back me up and keep them away from me so I could nurse my child as he was screaming. He proceeded to state them the same law repeatedly. They then left me alone for a few minutes and returned shortly later with two Denver Police officers. I continued the basic same conversation with them and then let my husband talk to them, but the supervisor continued to harass me thro this entire thing. He kept stating it was "common sense" to do what he wanted me to do and I kept stating Colorado Law and stating that I had no such social taboo ingrained in me about breastfeeding in public and it was his personal opinion that it is common sense. My husband kept trying to get them to stop talking to me so I could feed my child, and I was finally able to feed my child and he fell asleep. I then pulled my swimsuit back up and rocked him a bit. The Denver Police then informed me that if I breastfed in public in the park again, they would arrest me for trespassing as the park would want to kick me out. I politely told him to do what you have to do but I know my rights. I stayed in the water park section until the baby woke up and then left to try to enjoy the rest of the day away from the frightening guards. (as a note, it was the woman next to me who had complained and she proceeded to berate me for about 10 minutes. I repeatedly told her very calmly and politely "Thank you for your opinion. Have a nice day", until she stopped talking to me.) I am ashamed to admit that I did feed my child next in a more secluded part of the park later as I did not want to get arrested and ruin my family's vacation, although it was still in a public area. It makes me shake and cry when I think of my treatment and how I had to hide just to feed my child. It made me feel like a criminal. I am going to look into suing the park so that others in the future will not be subjected to the same traumatizing ordeal. Maybe the park can setup some positive breastfeeding policy. I will also be posting to a number of forums such as Mothering.com to inform others of my situation, maybe organize a boycott or nurse-in. Thank you for listening. I would appreciate any feedback you have or any info you have as to legal or other recourse that I may take that would be most effective in changing Elitch Gardens actions against breastfeeding in public.

richard

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 01:35:01 PM »
i dont mind it, only christians care about women feeding thier babys in public

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 01:46:16 PM »
It doesn't bother me. Never has.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 01:54:23 PM »
It doesn't bother me. Never has.

How do you feel about nappy changing in public?
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 02:03:28 PM »
It doesn't bother me. I don't watch.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 02:04:51 PM »

Have you ever done it?
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 02:15:27 PM »
seeing as how the primary biological function of breasts is to feed babies, it's only the fucked up perversion (in the true sense of the word) which makes breastfeeding in public such a big issue. 

i.e., it's only the (secondary) sexualisation of breasts which give rise to any comment.  well, give rise to all sorts of things.  :laugh:  and i'm not complaining about the sexualisation of breasts, btw - i've been a joyful recipient of such attention, in appropriate situations, i hasten to add.  ;)

often, this institutionalised sexualisation, and sexism, means that sometimes, it's women who find public breastfeeding more distasteful than men do.  ::)

however, it's a dodgy continuum from banning breastfeeding in public to full purdah.  a slippery slope.

Persona

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 02:20:21 PM »
I doesnt bother me either and most of the women I had seen do it, don't make themselves that obvious anyway.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 02:21:55 PM »

Have you ever done it?

When I was a kid.

Offline AspiePride

• Frequent Poster