Educational

Author Topic: Programmer wisdom  (Read 406 times)

Offline Lurk Hurk Gurk

• Super-Duper Rationalist Crackpot Mystic of the Aspie Elite
  • Postwhore
  • Lhrxiag Trhe (hvng: rbt13)
Programmer wisdom
« on: February 26, 2008, 05:06:58 PM »
The Tao of Programming; a classic text both ha ha and serious. Recently, though, I've begun to find it - interpreted with care - quite solid as a source of personal philosophy: ;)

Quote from: 2.1
Thus spake the master programmer:

``After three days without programming, life becomes meaningless.''

Quote from: 2.3
A programmer from a very large computer company went to a software conference and then returned to report to his manager, saying: ``What sort of programmers work for other companies? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They crashed our hospitality suite and they made rude noises during my presentation.''

The manager said: ``I should have never sent you to the conference. Those programmers live beyond the physical world. They consider life absurd, an accidental coincidence. They come and go without knowing limitations. Without a care, they live only for their programs. Why should they bother with social conventions?

``They are alive within the Tao.''

Quote from: 4.1
Thus spake the master programmer:

``A well-written program is its own heaven; a poorly-written program is its own hell.''

Quote from: 7.2
In the east there is a shark which is larger than all other fish. It changes into a bird whose wings are like clouds filling the sky. When this bird moves across the land, it brings a message from Corporate Headquarters. This message it drops into the midst of the programmers, like a seagull making its mark upon the beach. Then the bird mounts on the wind and, with the blue sky at its back, returns home.

The novice programmer stares in wonder at the bird, for he understands it not. The average programmer dreads the coming of the bird, for he fears its message. The master programmer continues to work at his terminal, for he does not know that the bird has come and gone.

Quote from: 8.3
There was once a programmer who worked upon microprocessors. ``Look at how well off I am here,'' he said to a mainframe programmer who came to visit, ``I have my own operating system and file storage device. I do not have to share my resources with anyone. The software is self- consistent and easy-to-use. Why do you not quit your present job and join me here?''

The mainframe programmer then began to describe his system to his friend, saying ``The mainframe sits like an ancient sage meditating in the midst of the data center. Its disk drives lie end-to-end like a great ocean of machinery. The software is as multifaceted as a diamond, and as convoluted as a primeval jungle. The programs, each unique, move through the system like a swift-flowing river. That is why I am happy where I am.''

The microcomputer programmer, upon hearing this, fell silent. But the two programmers remained friends until the end of their days.